Pearl Jam Brisbane Review- Courier Mail

solace23solace23 Posts: 704
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Not a bad review against the band but as soon as the band announced they were playing at Qsac I knew it would be a disaster sound wise. The Venue is massive and terrible for gigs.

Outdoor venue works against Pearl Jam
PEARL Jam did something special two months ago. They released an album, Backspacer, that is one of their best, on the eve of their 20th birthday.

It's a shame the same couldn't be said about their show before 35,000 people at the QSAC stadium in Brisbane last night. No matter how much sound and fury the band poured into their set, they couldn't overcome the venue.

They did their best, starting early and playing long into the night, touching on every part of their career. And they might have sounded good at the front but 300m away their sound was at the mercy of the wind.

Up in the stand where I was, there was no bass, no kick drum and the only way you could tell a keyboard player was present was when you saw him on the big screen.

It was only during really big numbers like Animal and Even Flow that they really seemed to connect with the far-flung crowds. And when they stripped the sound back, as with the mighty new song The End they really hit the spot. The band stormed home with songs like Jeremy and Alive.

Pearl Jam is the ultimate fan's band but playing an outdoors venue didn't do the band or their fans any favours.

I've seen Pearl Jam play indoors and they can be electric. Let's hope they come back soon and do that again.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    Cannot really comment on this because we were down the front but having gone to the big day out and other Festivals thats going to happen with the wind but still a ripping set .the DRUNK dickheads were the problem oh well always a few in every crowd and all wearing blue wrist bands.
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,030
    Should of been at Suncorp, it is more enclosed & intimate. You would of felt on top of the band there. QSAC is way to open & far away from the stage. Mr Chugg has fucked up i think with some of the choice of venues. Sydney should have been at Eastern Creek a great natural ampitheatre, ahh the memories of 1995.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Thanks for posting this. I was just saying to my husband that, from where I was (in the front of the pit- Mike's side), it felt really intimate as I had no feel for the rest of the stadium.

I'll have to chase down some friends who were in the stands and see what they thought.
    If I knew then, would I know now?

* Perth Entertainment Centre - Mar 06, 1995
    * Melbourne Park - Mar 02, 1998
    * Brisbane QSAC- Nov 25, 2009
    * EV Solo- QPAC- March 10, 12 and 13 2011

• My utter disappointment at the gig last night was there for all to see, with tears rolling down my face!
    after a very long 6 minutes after tickets went on sale we got row MMM... we were 5 rows from the roof!
    But at least we had tickets..... For the first three songs we could still hear the seating guy on the speakers behind us. I had to go ask the waiter for the box seats to get it turned off! In no way do I blame the band, they do what they always do.. Rock! The fact Britney and her miming circus had the entertainment centre makes me furious. I adjusted to the absolutly shit sound by about the 4th song and did enjoy myself. Unfortunatly I did convince my friend to come who is no where near the fan I am so you can only imagine what she thought of the night. :cry:
  • K HASTIE wrote:
    My utter disappointment at the gig last night was there for all to see, with tears rolling down my face!
    after a very long 6 minutes after tickets went on sale we got row MMM... we were 5 rows from the roof!
    But at least we had tickets..... For the first three songs we could still hear the seating guy on the speakers behind us. I had to go ask the waiter for the box seats to get it turned off! In no way do I blame the band, they do what they always do.. Rock! The fact Britney and her miming circus had the entertainment centre makes me furious. I adjusted to the absolutly shit sound by about the 4th song and did enjoy myself. Unfortunatly I did convince my friend to come who is no where near the fan I am so you can only imagine what she thought of the night. :cry:

That truly sucks.

• yea i agree with the poor quality of the sounds as well. i don't really think it was the bands fault and i have to agree with BALLBOY, as i thought too that the stadium was way too open and hence the sounds to the back of the stadium and the sides were not that good. I was in the seating area in row U and the sounds were quiet distorted up there as well.

This was my first PJ concert. i have been a fan for over 14 years and this was the first time i got to see them. So i was really expecting something electrifying, unfortunately the large venue, poor sound quality did let me down a bit and kinda didn't live up to my expectations.
    Anyways i enjoyed the evening and the performance and a good. Alive, Jeremy and rearviewmirror were my favorites! Of course not forgetting the duet with Ben Harper on the song Indifference. Classic!
    easy.come.easy.go
  • Sound was awesome up the front, but I totally agree with ballboy, Eastern Creek 1995 was my first Pearl Jam gig and it seriously was one of the best days of my life, even though things were quite rough then and I literally had to fight my way to the front :)
  • I was in section 4, row d seats 160 and 161. I was seated at about a 45degree angle to the stage near the running track on Mikes side. I had 10c tickets but off loaded them (for face value of course) because I am building a bike. Anyway, The seats weren't the best but I had a rockin time. The two couples sitting on either side of me sat there the whole time and didn't move and only sang the popular songs, just not as die hard as some I suppose. when they announced QSAC I always new that the sound and sight of the band wouldn't be the best, but shit happens. The band still rocked and played some great songs. Just wished it went all night. :D
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, thats why its called The Present.
  • From where I was standing (far left of stage, just behind the barrier) the sound was amazing! And it was the best position I've ever had. Far right of stage was awful and I had to pee so went to the toilets at far left and found a prime viewing and listening position. I was peeved that after having been in ten club so long I had to muscle for a good spot with all these blue wristed peeps (I thought the front section would be smaller) but soon got over it when we found our spot. It felt very intimate for us and the people around us were very cool.

I feel terribly for those who didn't get to hear it well because the sound didn't carry well. Overall we thought the organisation of the venue was pretty terrible. The toilets way up the back, the bar being jam packed, the long lines for everything, but pearl jam love prevailed in the end! The band's joy seemed infectious. They've still got it!
  • We had an absolute ball last night at the PJ concert. Although a 10C member, I bought tix through another pre-sale to make sure we wouldnt miss out on tix. We had no problem hearing the songs and were at the front and on the rail of the railed section behind 10C. Not at all disappointed! The fact that Eddie ran down into the crowd at the end (and yesss... I got to touch him and did not sleep!) put the icing on the cake. Too bad for those guys who were stuck up the back - I guess thats why the back tix were only $69. I could not believe the girls beside us who just stood there in the crowd and did not sing, move, or anything all night other than complain that they were getting knocked into while we were singing and getting right into it... they prob shouldve bought seated tix if they were not expecting to be standing and not get into it. To see the guys at the irish pub before the concert (and they were there after - apparently) was just awesome. Highlight of the night? Too many - however, the Ben Harper/PJ songs were awesome - love Red Mosquito! Oh, and not to forget - Mike Mccready playing with his guitar behind his head for the entire song - LEGEND! I am hoping that the media stops giving the night bad press - sound drifting is part and parcel of holding an outdoors concert! PJ have always been my fave band and they def didnt let the fans down last night!!
  • LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    who was at what irish pub?
  • i'm wondering if anyone has ever been to a show at this venue, sat in the bleachers(far back) and heard good sound? just curious.

35000 people to see pj. it's no wonder they are back down under.
  • Probably not the best venue to choose - should have kicked Britney out of Boondall!!!

It was a fantastic performance by Pearl Jam...and although the sound wasn't great - I had the best night.

Mind you, I would think any performance by Pearl Jam was awesome no matter what!!!

It's the sound techs that should be getting bagged out - not Eddie and the boys!!!
  • I agree, the venue didn't do the boys justice, especially after witnessing the Melbourne show!!!!!!!!
    I was stoked, about 3 rows back from the front, left centre of stage. Nothing wrong with the sound there!!!! It was great to see young Zac, ( about 10 years old) who was there with his dad. All the true fans looked after this wee man and passed water from dad to son. AWESOME!!!! The only complaint I had was with the QSAC Staff just prior to 10c being allowed entry, there was no organisation!!!!! Thanks everyone for a fantastic night, off to Christchurch for sundays show.
    I've also also grown weary about reading about clouds in a book. Doesn't this piss you off? You're reading a nice story, and suddenly the writer has to stop and describe the clouds. Who cares? I'll bet you anything I can write a decent novel, with a good, entertaining story, and never once mention the clouds. Really! Every book you read, if there's an outdoor scene, an open window, or even a door slightly ajar, the writer has to say," As Bo and Velma walked along the shore, the clouds hung ponderously on the horizon like steel-grey, loosely formed gorilla turds." I'm not interested. Skip the clouds and get to the fucking!
  • solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    The point of this tour was to play stadiums. Pearl Jam can play big stadiums. It should have been at Suncorp Stadium as it would have had a more intimate feel to it.
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    solace23 wrote:
    The point of this tour was to play stadiums. Pearl Jam can play big stadiums. It should have been at Suncorp Stadium as it would have had a more intimate feel to it.

yeah, it didn't matter that britney might have been playing at then Ent Cent, even if the ent cent was empty it still would have been at QSAC. and of course the sound at melbourne was gonna be better with the roof shut. open that thing up and you would have lost alot of sound as well, but not as much as brisbane with that place being so open.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Very disappointing sound.
    I could not hear it at all.
    I was home in Melbourne.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Very disappointing sound.
    I was home in Melbourne.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 10CLB10CLB Posts: 15
    How about posting the set list guys ?
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    10CLB wrote:
    How about posting the set list guys ?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=118697
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Very disappointing sound.
    I was home in Melbourne.

Poor Mars. I feel for you. Will pm you when I get the time and let you know everything from my side. ;)