Pearl Jam and Your kids

InMyTree33InMyTree33 Posts: 125
edited December 2009 in The Porch
I love hearing about other people's kids who show love towards Pearl Jam. I have a 2 1/2 yr. old daughter who just goes crazy for Supersonic and The Fixer from Backspacer. I sang the opening lines to her from Unthought Known at bath time and she knew which song it was. She hears the guitar intros on songs and can identify them, sing the Even FLow chorus, play a mean air guitar, head bangs, seems to love DTE, Given to Fly and many more, bobs her head to Force of Nature-every time, requests Pearl Jam for her music choice, always asks about who the man with the hat on the front of Backspacer is, (anyone know?) I ldon't know...I just don't think it gets any better when you can jump up and down and rock out to Pearl Jam with your kids. :D:D:D:D
9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 8/23/09 EV-6//11/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09

It's an inside job today
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i know its not a kid as such
    but i dont have one, :P
    i do however have a budgie who bangs into all his toys and does this lil move that KINDA looks like moshing
    he loves pearl jam :lol:
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
  • My son, Cameron Stone (I will leave out his last name) Loves The Fixer. When we get in the car he says "Daddy, can you play the yeah, yeah song. It is my favorite". Coolest three year old I know!
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • My daughter Olivia who is 1 year and 10 months old, sings yeah yeah yeah (the fixer) every time she see the Backspacer cover and starts to headbanging when she hear the opening to Supersonic :-)
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • My boys are 13 and 14. They've always kind of liked Pearl Jam casually, since I was always listening to it, but they've definitely gotten a lot more into them since Backspacer came out. My younger son sat with the liner notes and sang along one night at home and now has just about the whole album down! Good thing is, he can actually carry a tune. My older son plays guitar, so maybe in a couple of years, we can have a PJ tribute band!

(My wife will have to drop classical piano though, and learn bass!)
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • NarcisoNarciso Posts: 194
    My 9 year old made me proud the other day. She told her friend "I don't like Miley Cyrus. I'm a Pearl Jam fan." Awesome!
    Slipped on a curb in the road.
  • My 2 1/2 year old daughter also LOVES fixer, requests it many times ("Get it Back Again!", "Get it Back Again!" :D ) Sings most of the words/sounds. Also sings to Just Breathe, Lowlight, Wishlist. We watched "Single Video Theory" today which she loved. She asks for "Pearl Jam" and also head bangs and raises her fists.

She is also a natural on drum kit and strums guitar a little. Amazing!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    My 3 and a half year old twin boys say " Pearl Jam Rocks" and I didn't even teach them that.
    Thier just natural born lovers of Pearl Jam - Awesome 8-)
  • my 7 yr old is still pissed off i didnt take her to this years show, i told her shes too little for mosh pitts and nxt time they tour ill take her but she is still mega dirty on me...soo cute seeing my girl, who loves mostly pop crap, want to see a rock band...shes been playing all my pj cds singing almost every song since, haha soo proud...
    Oh dear dad Can you see me now I am myself
    Like you somehow
  • My sons are 11, 9 and 5 and they love Pearl Jam, probably because they've been listening to it since they were conceived! LOL!

They know and sing several songs from each album, but as of lately my son Lucas (the 5 year old) can't get enough of Supersonic, he sings the whole song from start to end but the funny thing is that he doesnt get all the lyrics right so listening to his singing is a riot.. lol :mrgreen:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    Our boys are 7 and 5 and Pearl Jam is pretty much all they listen to, started with ST and now they love Backspacer - Johnny Guitar is their favorite and they know all the words to Got Some! I am so proud when they sing along to it in the back seat. They have started to get into the boots now and compare different versions of songs - their favorite live tune so far is Porch :D they each have two t-shirts they wear to school all the time and the oldest's teacher wrote on his evaluation how good their taste in music is!
    Dancing in irreverence
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    my 4 1/2 year old boy loves the eddie solo stuff, especially trouble hahaha

we get in the car and he says "daddy, eddie please, I like eddie"

just yesterday, i was wearing a baseball hat backwards and he says "daddy looks like eddie"
    (he is used to seeing unplugged on our TV)

but, when I came home after three days in philly, he said, "daddy can you no more go see eddie"

he was bummed I was gone
  • My boys are 9 and 7. My daughter is 4.

My boys are obsessed with Pearl Jam. They listen to it all day, want to know the set lists and get pissed if I don't take them to shows.

Took the two boys out from NJ to LA and San Diego to catch their first shows. They had the most awesome time!

Here's a couple of pictures..

The 9 year old went to LA show

IMG_0099-1-1.jpg

The 7 year old at the San Diego show

IMG_0107-1.jpg

Oh and my daughter might like it a little too :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7aK_W5ig1I
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • I'm starting my son young: we went to the 02 show in London when I was seven months pregnant and I listened to all the albums and Into the Wild a lot during my pregnancy, so I'm not surprised that the now 5 week old Felix looks all serious and pensive when I play them.

Playing him 'Guaranteed' is the best way to get him to calm down when he's having a colicky moment - his Dad has played this song to him a lot on both guitar and banjo and he loves it :D 'Just Breathe' works quite nicely too. I swear Eddie Vedder is the Baby Whisperer.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I have a 2 year old boy Nathan and whenever I go to pick out music, he asks if we can have a Pearl Jam party. That is what he calls it. Whenever I have a PJ DVD in, he looks at the TV and even if Stone or Mike are on at the moment, he points and says, "Eddie Vedder!". I have a daughter coming in January and hopefully she will be as entusiastic about Pearl Jam as her big brother.

Edit: My wife was 4 months pregnant when we went to Chicago to see PJ so she has been to a show already and my son has not.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Well, I have a 21 year old that has been listening to Pearl Jam for 18 years. He started going to concerts with me when he was 12. Before this year, the last concert we went to was in San Diego in '06.

He went to Austin and San Diego with me this tour. It was an amazing experience because for the first time, he was an "adult". We stayed up until 5am in Austin, just talking about life and music, after a day of partying. :D It was priceless to hear some of his thoughts about life. He is a REALLY deep and spiritual kid and we had never conversed like we did. Yes, we had smoked together, but it was one of the best nights of my life and it was a moment that happened and brought us closer together and kept a door opened for the future.

It can be hard raising a kid, and there are fights and "I hate you's" along the way, but this was something we always enjoyed together, just me and him.

Music has been a big part of our lives.
  • Evergreen wrote:
    Well, I have a 21 year old that has been listening to Pearl Jam for 18 years. He started going to concerts with me when he was 12. Before this year, the last concert we went to was in San Diego in '06.

He went to Austin and San Diego with me this tour. It was an amazing experience because for the first time, he was an "adult". We stayed up until 5am in Austin, just talking about life and music, after a day of partying. :D It was priceless to hear some of his thoughts about life. He is a REALLY deep and spiritual kid and we had never conversed like we did. Yes, we had smoked together, but it was one of the best nights of my life and it was a moment that happened and brought us closer together and kept a door opened for the future.

It can be hard raising a kid, and there are fights and "I hate you's" along the way, but this was something we always enjoyed together, just me and him.

Music has been a big part of our lives.
    [url][/url]

you have a 21 year old boy :o:o you only look mid 20's
  • My 16 month old (named Stone by the way)... knows "The Fixer" as the "ya, ya, ya" song... He's not happy until he hears this song every morning... starts dancing all crazy!!! Love it!!!
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • TrixieTrixie Posts: 179
    My three-year old daughter discovered my Toronto concert pictures in a drawer about two months ago and has been obsessed ever since. I've been playing Backspacer in the car as much as possible when I pick her up from daycare and she always asks "is this Pearl Jam?". I just about fell off my chair when one night, while watching Jeopardy, she came out to the living room, started pointing at the TV and kept saying Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam. So I said, "you want to watch Pearl Jam on TV?" (which, by the way, she had never done prior to this) and man, did her face light up. She clapped her hands and said "yay, Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam". Now, she requests this on a regular basis. Such a proud mommy moment!!!!!
  • My son loves Backspacer his favourite songs are Supersonic and Gonna See My Friend. He likes the songs he can jump up and down to. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMitVz-_bY
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    If I ask my 2 year old daughter what record to play....without fail she always says Pearl Jam. No Code or Lost Dogs are her main choices, but I think that's b/c they are slightly bigger than the rest. She recognized PJ on ACL the second I turned it on.

She really like the Beatles(she can name them) and Radiohead.

My new born really digs the Black Crowes, which is fitting, since we kinda got the idea for her name from one of their songs.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Do I count as a kid? :lol:

I think some of you might consider me one....

Keep on sharing the PJ love with your kids- I wish I got my obsession started at a younger age than I really did. It's awesome to have young kids these days be exposed to music other than the disney channel & top 40 crap that's out there!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    What an awesome thread!

My nearly 5 year old loves Pearl Jam. She asks if we can turn on PJ and dance. Whenever we listen to Backspacer in the car I'm not allowed to turn the car off till Just Breathe is finished - she sings along (with her own lyrics) and my 2 year old son sits there bobbing his little head smiling. She also loves Unthought Known. It makes me so proud that they both have (my) great taste in music. ;):D
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    It's worse than I thought - my 4 year old was singing at the dinner table tonight - "there's noothing worse than a gremmie outta control..." :D
    Dancing in irreverence
  • My sons are 11, 9 and 5 and they love Pearl Jam, probably because they've been listening to it since they were conceived! LOL!

They know and sing several songs from each album, but as of lately my son Lucas (the 5 year old) can't get enough of Supersonic, he sings the whole song from start to end but the funny thing is that he doesnt get all the lyrics right so listening to his singing is a riot.. lol :mrgreen:

Wow your lucky, all my son Horshack loves is fart noises.
  • When our then 3.5 year old had his turn at 'news' at his kindergarten he decided to sing his class a song...

"There are colours on the street.."

And proceeded to sing the first verse and chorus of Rockin' in the Free World for his classmates enjoyment.

I got VERY strange looks from the Kindy staff that day when i picked him up.
  • My 8 year old son loves PJ. The only problem with listening to boots with the kids is Eddie's love of the f-word. It was hilarious the first time my son heard Porch because he immediately pointed out that "he said WTF". So I gave up policing it because if he already knows what WTF means, well, who am I kidding? Plus, it gives me a reason to continue listening to my boots. :mrgreen:8-)
  • LaddieLaddie Posts: 311
    I have an 11 month old boy. He loves it when I (or Pearl Jam) sing Last Kiss. Its my go to when I'm trying to get him to fall asleep. I can play other soft acoustic songs, but he doesn't respond until he hears Last Kiss. Its really weird/awesome. He's been to 2 PJ shows and 1 Eddie show in utero. He's the best.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    3 1/2 year old starts saying "Got Some if you need it" after hearing only two notes. Fun line for adults and kids alike.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    edited November 2009
    We took our 19 and 15 year old to there first show last night the eldest is a 10c member and the youngest is joining with her xmas money I guess there might some interesting talks on who gets what from my collection when I leave this planet LOL
    Post edited by SH17171 on
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • I'm a single mom. Recently my 7 yr old son was watchin IIC w/me and after watching a part with Ed & his daughter, he said: "I bet he's a great dad. To bad he's not my dad, he could teach me guitar." So sweet and sad. Guess what he's getting for Christmas? Guitar lessons. I love that kid.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle