Camera guys at Aussie shows...

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Do you think this is for a new live dvd?
I hope they do something like Immagine in Cornice but Aussie!
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    Do you think this is for a new live dvd?

I think we are all hoping this. Cameras were quite evident at most shows. I think I saw a camera being loaded at MEN Manchester so maybe we will get a Euro, Aus/NZ and US tour dvds :D:D:D

We can live in hope
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    they pro shot every show, have done since about 98 i think.

considering the hours of footage and number of live shows they have done since then we have seen very few live dvds. what's the total 4? out of god damn how many shows? several hundreds.

don't know about you but i would buy every show i've been to, soon to be 8, and many that i haven't been to but were awesome shows.

i would love to see myself front row the few times i have been, and the footage of Ed handing me his pic in 06
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Do you think this is for a new live dvd?

a camera dude said it was being filmed for pearljamtourtv

we can most defs live in hope though
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,906
    they pro shot every show, have done since about 98 i think.

considering the hours of footage and number of live shows they have done since then we have seen very few live dvds. what's the total 4? out of god damn how many shows? several hundreds.

don't know about you but i would buy every show i've been to, soon to be 8, and many that i haven't been to but were awesome shows.

i would love to see myself front row the few times i have been, and the footage of Ed handing me his pic in 06

prior to the Backspacer tour and the '09 concerts in general, very few shows were actually professionally filmed. in most cases 3 crew members and a number of tripod cameras were the only ones filming,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    100 Pacer wrote:
    prior to the Backspacer tour and the '09 concerts in general, very few shows were actually professionally filmed. in most cases 3 crew members and a number of tripod cameras were the only ones filming,...

well that's what i meant, every show has been filmed. maybe pro shot wasn't the right way to say it. but they still have every show video recorded. but yeah, the 3 crew guys and the tri pods have been recording every show since about 98. touring band 2000 comes from the footage those guys shot, and showbox, i believe. so it's not like it's dodgy handy cam footage.
    edited November 2009
    100 Pacer wrote:

well that's what i meant, every show has been filmed. maybe pro shot wasn't the right way to say it. but they still have every show video recorded. but yeah, the 3 crew guys and the tri pods have been recording every show since about 98. touring band 2000 comes from the footage those guys shot, and showbox, i believe. so it's not like it's dodgy handy cam footage.

The crew has been recording everything, both audio and video, since day 1. Video footage wasn't always the priority, hence multiple sources weren't always used. In some cases, shows were only being filmed on eV's Super8 camera for home footage,...
    Post edited by 100 Pacer on
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    100 Pacer wrote:
    The crew has been filming everything, both audio and video, since day 1. Video footage wasn't always the priority, hence multiple sources weren't always used. In some cases, footage was only being filmed on eV's Super8 camera for home footage,...

it would be fucking epic if one day all this shit was released, i'm still in the hope all the audio would be one day, the one fucking show i want seems to be one of the very few where an audience boot has never surfaced. but video would be better.

the shit they have archived must be amazing. do you reckon they just sit around and watch old shows? if i ever got into the vault that would be it, you'd never see me again.
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    100 Pacer wrote:
    The crew has been filming everything, both audio and video, since day 1. Video footage wasn't always the priority, hence multiple sources weren't always used. In some cases, footage was only being filmed on eV's Super8 camera for home footage,...

it would be fucking epic if one day all this shit was released, i'm still in the hope all the audio would be one day, the one fucking show i want seems to be one of the very few where an audience boot has never surfaced. but video would be better.

the shit they have archived must be amazing. do you reckon they just sit around and watch old shows? if i ever got into the vault that would be it, you'd never see me again.

Maybe it will a 20th birthday present to 10c members only :D We get to watch and downloads all the shows. Naturally there is a shortage on external hard drives :lol:
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    it would be fucking epic if one day all this shit was released, i'm still in the hope all the audio would be one day...

Agreed. This would make me unbelievably happy. I'm really hoping they were waiting for technology to make this possible (like Neil Young's Blu-Ray archive *coughcough*). I'd buy this in a heartbeat.
    the shit they have archived must be amazing.

As far as I know they have recorded everything since day 1 like 100Pacer said above, but the more I think about this, the more I realize that I don't think I've ever read this in an interview with anyone from PJ or their organization. Can anyone actually substantiate this?
    do you reckon they just sit around and watch old shows?

Not at all. In fact, I'd bet that it would be like pulling teeth to get them to go back and watch/listen to old stuff. Watching yourself on a video that is 10-15-20 years old can be an embarrassing thing. They were young men who acted like young men. Watching people 20 years younger than me is sometime startling because I am amazed at their behavior.

The only notable exception to this is Ament and eV going back and pulling things out of a box to prep the Ten re-release. I think it was stated in several interviews that those boxes hadn't been opened in something like 17 years. I'd bet that was intentional as much as it was not.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    edited November 2009
    HeavyHands wrote:

As far as I know they have recorded everything since day 1 like 100Pacer said above, but the more I think about this, the more I realize that I don't think I've ever read this in an interview with anyone from PJ or their organization. Can anyone actually substantiate this?

yeah, all i can remember is the press release for touring band 2000, which is where i got the idea they started filming shit round 98:
    Pearl Jam has always filmed its live shows for archival purposes, but the idea to compile a selection of songs from the US shows and release them on a DVD evolved over the course of last year's tour. The band began by posting stills from each of the European shows on its website as they had done on their 1998 tour, then started posting 30-second live clips. The feedback was very positive and fans were asking for more. As a result, the band expanded the roles of three of its touring crew members to include videoing each of the shows from different positions in the house to see what they could come up with.

The newly formed film crew began playing around with some of the footage on an AV production bus out on the road. About midway through leg one of the US tour, they presented some of the footage to the band. At that point, they were contemplating creating a web video using one or more songs.

Kelly Curtis, the band's manager, explains how the project progressed: "The band liked what they saw, and the idea of creating a mock set list of songs from different cities on the tour and releasing them via DVD came up."

Crew members went to work, juggling their regular tour jobs with filming, producing and editing footage out on the road and after the tour ended. "About three months later, the band had a full length DVD that everyone was excited about--it's very raw and realistic footage done without directors or producers, and it gives fans a chance to see a little more behind the scenes stuff than has previously been available," says Curtis.

and then there was that big story a few years ago on apple.com about them using mini dv cams and protools to edit and all that here, that just says "for years the band has filmed every live show":

http://www.freewebs.com/pearljamstudy/2 ... videos.htm
    Post edited by threefish10 on
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    They should atleast bring out a DVD compilation thingy like 'Touring Band 2000' of every tour! :D
  • There was a lot of filming going on in Philadelphia. Hopefully they plan on releasing a DVD of those shows as well.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130

Pearl Jam has always filmed its live shows for archival purposes...

This is what I was partially remembering. Thanks!
    and then there was that big story a few years ago on apple.com about them using mini dv cams and protools to edit and all that here, that just says "for years the band has filmed every live show":

http://www.freewebs.com/pearljamstudy/2 ... videos.htm

Good find!
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    HeavyHands wrote:
    If they've been recording everything, then how come the bonus disc that came with 10C Pearl Jam (1992/12/31) was an audience boot? Or is it not? I've not done the comparison myself, but that's what I've heard...
    HeavyHands wrote:
    it would be fucking epic if one day all this shit was released, i'm still in the hope all the audio would be one day...

Agreed. This would make me unbelievably happy. I'm really hoping they were waiting for technology to make this possible (like Neil Young's Blu-Ray archive *coughcough*). I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

this type of project is being planned and is in the pipeline,...
    HeavyHands wrote:

several crew members and several band members have confirmed this on multiple occasions throughout the years,...
    HeavyHands wrote:
    do you reckon they just sit around and watch old shows?

Not at all. In fact, I'd bet that it would be like pulling teeth to get them to go back and watch/listen to old stuff. Watching yourself on a video that is 10-15-20 years old can be an embarrassing thing. They were young men who acted like young men. Watching people 20 years younger than me is sometime startling because I am amazed at their behavior.

The only notable exception to this is Ament and eV going back and pulling things out of a box to prep the Ten re-release. I think it was stated in several interviews that those boxes hadn't been opened in something like 17 years. I'd bet that was intentional as much as it was not.

eV has said he can't bring himself to watch footage from the early days as it makes him "cringe", whereas Mike has said he enjoys watching footage from those early years, so it's all relative,...