What is with this ***** is "too deep" for the GA?

PJam82PJam82 Posts: 107
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Been hearing this lately with Unthought Known as a single....Frankly, I hear it A LOT on this board about various songs. Why are some many PJ fans like that? Is this the snob portion of the fanbase rearing its ugly head?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    PJam82 wrote:
    Been hearing this lately with Unthought Known as a single....Frankly, I hear it A LOT on this board about various songs. Why are some many PJ fans like that? Is this the snob portion of the fanbase rearing its ugly head?

I've never said this, but I understand the sentiment.

The world as a whole wants music that doesn't have too much depth, is easily digestible, perferably from an attractive package.

I'm not knocking them here, but that is why boy bands do well. Cookie cutter, catchy tunes without too many layers and sung by handsome young men who dance and gyrate into young girls hearts.

The top 40/pop music is wanted by the masses. Perhaps they are right? That stuff sells. I try not to judge anyone's taste in music, but to me that poppy stuff sounds terrible and contrived.

I don't think it is inherantly snobby to point out that Pearl Jam's rock music will not sell well to a mainstream pop music lover. Just a valid observation.

The world doesn't want "Deep", if they did rock and roll in general would be much more popular, and Pearl Jam would be King.
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    I think ***** is as deep as you care to venture. Sure there is instant gratification on the surface but I'm kinda trippin' on the pretext and underlying stuff..probably reading way too much into it but actually digging the search for the uh, unknown...haha
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    Wilds wrote:
    PJam82 wrote:

The world as a whole wants music that doesn't have too much depth, is easily digestible, perferably from an attractive package.

I'm not knocking them here, but that is why boy bands do well. Cookie cutter, catchy tunes without too many layers and sung by handsome young men who dance and gyrate into young girls hearts.

The top 40/pop music is wanted by the masses. Perhaps they are right? That stuff sells. I try not to judge anyone's taste in music, but to me that poppy stuff sounds terrible and contrived.

I don't think it is inherantly snobby to point out that Pearl Jam's rock music will not sell well to a mainstream pop music lover. Just a valid observation.

The world doesn't want "Deep", if they did rock and roll in general would be much more popular, and Pearl Jam would be King.

I agree with all you state except one minor point PEARL JAM = KINGS
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    PJam82 wrote:

What's snobby? Look at the top ten. Is Unthought Known on it? No, but shit like Lady Gaga is. Its reality to acknowledge it, not snobbery.

Unthought Known is a beautiful song and with a message everyone can take to heart but not everyone wants 'message' (unfortunately).
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • heh have you listened to radio lately? its awful. if that makes me a snob so be it.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    JaneNY wrote:
    PJam82 wrote:

What's snobby? Look at the top ten. Is Unthought Known on it? No, but shit like Lady Gaga is. Its reality to acknowledge it, not snobbery.

Unthought Known is a beautiful song and with a message everyone can take to heart but not everyone wants 'message' (unfortunately).

Unthought Known has quickly become my favorite Pearl Jam song ever. I fucking can't get enough of it.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Wilds wrote:
    PJam82 wrote:

Well said.

I don't believe it is necessarily "elitist." The Lowest Common Denominator approach reigns in more bucks across most entertainment mediums.

Even John McClane had a love interest 8-)