what did u think of the acl pbs show?

jimmysevolutionjimmysevolution Posts: 71
edited November 2009 in The Porch
i'm halfway through....ed and ben harper playing red mosquito...."if i had known then, what i know now".....great show so far.....man from mtv unplugged early 90's.....to ACL in 09, the greatest rock band of all time just keeps rolling on....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • enjoyed the show, highlights being Red Mosquito w/ Ben Harper and Inside Job. didn't really enjoy the new songs, not sure if it was the venue or the way it was shot or if it's just going to take a few more listens...
    he still gives his love, he just gives it away, the love he receives is the love that he'll save...
  • AMAZING!!!!!!!Loved "Army Reserve" too for the vets that were there.Never gonna erase it from my Tivo box. :D
    Bonnaroo 08,Tampa 08,Kissimmee 04,Tampa 03,House of Blues 03,Tampa 00,W.Palm Beach 00,W.Palm Beach 00,Ft.Lauderdale 96,St.Pete 94,Orlando 92,Jannus Landing 92.
  • welcome to meh city, population: meh

stone was not audible. they didn't play the best song off the new record (got some), but porch was huge.

didn't like just breathe to open. you can't start out with a buzzkiller.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • I understand there were a few songs like "Got Some" that were edited out of the broadcast... still, I greatly enjoyed it. It'll give people a chance to hear them play some of the new stuff live, which as we all know, is the best way to experience PJ.

All indications are that they absolutely kicked ass on this tour (not a shocker)... wouldn't mind them putting out a "Live on Two Legs" style compilation of their best stuff from this go 'round.
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • it was awesome!
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    overall great TV show, but not ideal PJ venue.
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    The crows was severly disappointing. The only one I could tell was a PJ fan was the girl in the blue shirt, front row. Everyone else was a statue. One of the best aspects of a show is the crowds energy. This one just didn't have it. Clearly there were not many true PJ fans there.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • the sound was amazing
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mitch8415 wrote:
    I understand there were a few songs like "Got Some" that were edited out of the broadcast... still, I greatly enjoyed it. It'll give people a chance to hear them play some of the new stuff live, which as we all know, is the best way to experience PJ.

All indications are that they absolutely kicked ass on this tour (not a shocker)... wouldn't mind them putting out a "Live on Two Legs" style compilation of their best stuff from this go 'round.

I think there is a problem with your statement. The band almost ALWAYS kicks ass on tour. Yet from what I've heard about this tour, it blows everything else pretty much out of the water. And we still have all of next year. So this tour, the band simply blew the world away with music. But yeah, a LOTL type deal would be awesome...or a DVD...
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    welcome to meh city, population: meh

stone was not audible. they didn't play the best song off the new record (got some), but porch was huge.

This whole "meh" thing is played out and lame. All because they didn't play "got some"? You can hear that on every stop of the tour.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • teemanteeman Posts: 337
    While I agree that people saying "meh" may be played out, it's kinda how I feel about this show as well.

Definitely some high points, but not being able to hear Stone combined with Ed's voice in some of the songs made it meh.

Speaking of Ed's voice, I haven't heard any boots from this tour, is this how he's sounding all the time? Red Mosquito was rough as heck (although having Ben Harper was cool!), couldn't hit the higher notes.
  • DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • I'm sure if they would have played Thin Air you would of been able to hear Stone sing. Most of the new songs just has Matt singing along with Ed. I loved the show, highlights: Johnny Guitar, Army Reserve, Inside Job, and Porch. I do agree that the crowd was motionless but they didn't give tickets away to the public. If they would have the place would have been rockin'.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    knowcode10 wrote:
    While I agree that people saying "meh" may be played out, it's kinda how I feel about this show as well.

Definitely some high points, but not being able to hear Stone combined with Ed's voice in some of the songs made it meh.
    I agree 100%.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    welcome to meh city, population: meh

I was watching it on a crappy tv with shit sound, and I actually could hear stone pretty well?? I have heard mixed reviews on the sound...That said, this could be one a my fav ALL TIME performances of porch...Just awesome! :-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • i just finished the show...i agree the crowd didn't have the love and power that a true pearl jam crowd has...i don't think there were many followers of the band there .....highlights were definitely porch once again electric....inside job...which had the darkness i also love about pj....and the end, which i love ( and i hope isn't a message subconsciously from ed to his fans)......PEACE LOVE GOD PEARL JAM.....FOREVER
  • Couldnt tell you. I live in NJ and couldnt figure out where on PBS it was playing!!!!!!!!
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • loadedgun wrote:
    The crows was severly disappointing. The only one I could tell was a PJ fan was the girl in the blue shirt, front row. Everyone else was a statue. One of the best aspects of a show is the crowds energy. This one just didn't have it. Clearly there were not many true PJ fans there.
    i dont know if you've ever watched ACL, but the crowd is usually pretty chilled out. i thought it was fine. i never felt like they had to simulate a stadium show. its ACL.

but then again at a lot of their stadium shows the crowd doesn't move much either.