My god, Backspacer..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited November 2009 in The Porch
How you might be my favorite album ever.

This album raises my spirits to levels they rarely achieve.

I can't even listen to other Pearl Jam albums any more. For me the bar has been set.

This album just really hits the spot.

I really hope they keep the direction they've taken going for at least one more album.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• How you might be my favorite album ever.

That's a bold statement :D
    While it might not be my favorite album ever it DEF slid into a tie for 3rd with Avocado.
    1. No Code
    2. Binaural
    3. Avocado\Backspacer

In case you were curious :lol:
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475

I can't even listen to other Pearl Jam albums any more. For me the bar has been set.

I really hope they keep the direction they've taken going for at least one more album.

Ditto!
  • No album will ever touch Vs.
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • RGarabed21 wrote:

That's a bold statement :D
    While it might not be my favorite album ever it DEF slid into a tie for 3rd with Avocado.
    1. No Code
    2. Binaural
    3. Avocado\Backspacer

In case you were curious :lol:

If you swapped Binaural for Vitalogy, I'd agree with you 100%.

now I only agree with you 75%, or is it 66.6666666666666...........%
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Backspacer definitely has some staying power. I spin it every time I'm in my car and haven't gotten bored yet (which wasn't the case with its most recent predecessors...). I also think reception to the new songs live has been amazing, which is further proof that this one is something special.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • I wouldn't say is their best album... but is great and I listen to it a LOT 8-)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • I won't be able to tell if it's my favorite until probably years from now. It's good to have a couple albums after to put it in a better context. Two months later, however, and I still listen to Backspacer from beginning to end, 3-5 times a day. That leads me to believe it is just an amazingly awesome album. There is nothing I would change about it. It stands out in so many ways. Hurray!
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    I'm having a hard time with it...

positives:
    These songs seem to be "fit" into the PJ catlogue and may be destined to be deemed "classic"s:

1) Force of nature
    2) Gonna See my Friend
    3) The End

Middle of the Road
    1) Just Breathe * love it... but it seems like such an "Into the Wild" outtake that it feels misplaced here on a PJ CD.
    ***Although "Gone" was an Ed solo song that the chose to put on a PJ CD, the whole band added to the track.
    I dunno maybe its just me. Just seems out of place here.

Not hitting me over the head:
    1) The Fixer: Its catchy and poppy and plays in your head but its just too sugary for my taste.

2) Supersonic: Wants to be Comatose part 2..
    not very original and enough with the "Hey, Hey's" from Eddie on this and "the Fixer".. we get it.. you want to sound like the Ramones.

3) Unknown Thought: This may be like "Nothing as it Seems".. a song I hated until I saw it live.. then loved it..enough said.

4) Amongst the Waves: Wants to be Given to Fly (see "Supersonic" comments)

5) Johnny Guitar: not feeling it..?

Just my opinion folks..

I loved Avacado..BTW!
    The whole CD..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I still love it. It is a definite mood changer for me. It starts off aggressive and then just becomes so uplifting. That run of Just Breathe - Unthought Known does it for me every time.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    locked wrote:
    I'm having a hard time with it...

positives:
    These songs seem to be "fit" into the PJ catlogue and may be destined to be deemed "classic"s:

1) Force of nature
    2) Gonna See my Friend
    3) The End

It's so funny how it works though. I've really been enjoying the album a ton but Gonna See My Friend and Force of Nature are on the bottom of my list.

Give me Speed of Sound, Got Some and Unthought Known any day.

Bottom line is this one is a fun album to listen to and i feel it should age very well for me.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Flagg wrote:
    I still love it. It is a definite mood changer for me. It starts off aggressive and then just becomes so uplifting. That run of Just Breathe - Unthought Known does it for me every time.

agreed!

took me a long while to really warm up to it, and i still have those few that don't do it for me - johnny guitar - but even with that.....really lovin' the album.

got some
    gonna see my friend
    just breathe
    unthought known
    amongst the waves

TOTAL LOVE!

and sure, i overall rally enjoy the rest of the album, tho not as evenly.....but still, comes off as a very solid album. the high points more than make up for the lows, for me...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• How you might be my favorite album ever.

My two favorites right now are backspacer and binaural. two totally different albums that both really nailed what they were going for.
    "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Ben Franklin
  • Flagg wrote:

I love unthought known. it kind of reminds me of a U2 song a bit the way it builds up.

- Ben Franklin
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Was listening to this in the car yesterday and today. There is one song I still don't like (Gonna See my Friend), and one song I used to like that I'm tired of (Supersonic). Every other song has grown on me!

LOVE: Just Breathe, Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known (Like Flagg, this is a great 3 song run), Got Some, The End

Like a lot: The Fixer, Johnny G, Force of Nature, Speed of Sound
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • DS114969 wrote:
    Was listening to this in the car yesterday and today. There is one song I still don't like (Gonna See my Friend), and one song I used to like that I'm tired of (Supersonic). Every other song has grown on me!

LOVE: Just Breathe, Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known (Like Flagg, this is a great 3 song run), Got Some, The End

Like a lot: The Fixer, Johnny G, Force of Nature, Speed of Sound

supersonic to me is the closest thing to what i'd call filler that there is on backspacer. It's just ok, nothing artistically interesting about it. the chorus has about the most predictable chord progression there is.

- Ben Franklin
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    the album is a work of art
    each time I listen another song comes through for me- just get blown away a little more - there are none I don't like- its perfect
    supersonic I always picture the professional dancers from "stars" or "so you think" just really going at it with a quick step or something, maybe next season?
    I loved having Unthought Known on Flash Forward- still listen/ watch that part daily on the DVR along with Got Some from Conan- I hope they do much more of this. Such a nice surprise to hear Pearl Jam unexpectedly
  • Favorites in order:
    untought known
    supersonic
    speed of sound
    force of nature
    got some
    just breathe
    johnny guitar
    gonna see my friend
    the fixer
    the end
    amongst the waves

untought known- is a work of art, the way it builds up, lyrics are just perfect for the melody. It is a PJ classic. This should be the next single, to cross the chart of Mars if they want...
    a WAVE came crashing like a fist to the jaw !
    WPB 03,Tampa 03,Camden 03,MSG1 03,Kissimmee 04,Lollapalooza 07, WPB 08,Tampa 08,Chicago 2009 (night 1 & 2), MSG 1 & 2 May 2010. PJ20 Sept 3 & 4 2011, Midtown Festival Sept 2012, Brooklyn Oct 18 & 19 2013, Ft Lauderdale 2016 and Miami 2016, Brooklyn, NY 2017
  • It's 100X better than Avocado.
  • No album will ever touch Vs.

You may very well be right, but Vitalogy came damn close.