trance-like states while listening to pearl jam

noodles_jeffersonnoodles_jefferson Posts: 183
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I don't know if anyone else does this, I'm sure some do, but I like to put on a pearl jam CD when nobody is home, sit on the couch in a legs crossed, almost meditation type of position, then I listen while letting my mind go free and after a few minutes when I'm really getting into a song, I beginto rock back and forth slightly to the rhythm of the music and I enter an almost trance like state, akin to meditation, where i notice nothing around me excpet the music and where my mind is wandering. It's like an amazing high, pretty intense. sometimes i smoke a bit of kind before doing so. for me it works best with pearl jam or Jack Johnson or some reggae like burning spear. anyone else?
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Ben Franklin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I totally do this. I also partake in a bit of the green before...its so relaxing and puts me in a great place!
    You are not alone friend :D
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • No weed, also no reggae, but yes, I zone the fuck out when I'm listening to Pearl Jam all alone in my apartment. It's usually while I'm listening to Vitalogy. I have it on vinyl, something about that album and the sound of the needle against grain, it just puts me in a trance. I'll lay the needle down and the next thing I know it's time to flip it over to the B-side.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • I definately do that...especially when I listen to Riot Act...I think Ed's voice never sounded better then on this album...passionate and sexy!
  • no weed but yes i go in a trans with PJ...two examples...

MSG 08, Present Tense, the song helped me through my father passing away in 2006, i stared at the garden ceiling and felt this massive connection to my father and the music, maybe it was just getting second hand high from all the weed smoking in the building lol (i don't smoke but i do enjoy the slight high i get from second hand weed smoke)

I volunteered at a boys and girls club summer camp a couple of years ago, one day i brought in my acoustic guitar, the kids were being annoying (they were young, between ages 5-10) and so we had a "meditation time" i played Release and the kids quieted down and everybody was just so relaxed...whenever i need to calm down, i just play that opening riff with the D on my guitar and i myself get into a trans
  • Mr DerpMr Derp Posts: 319
    I do this often with Yield. Esp. on vinyl
  • t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    no weed but yes i go in a trans with PJ...two examples...

MSG 08, Present Tense, the song helped me through my father passing away in 2006, i stared at the garden ceiling and felt this massive connection to my father and the music, maybe it was just getting second hand high from all the weed smoking in the building lol (i don't smoke but i do enjoy the slight high i get from second hand weed smoke)

I volunteered at a boys and girls club summer camp a couple of years ago, one day i brought in my acoustic guitar, the kids were being annoying (they were young, between ages 5-10) and so we had a "meditation time" i played Release and the kids quieted down and everybody was just so relaxed...whenever i need to calm down, i just play that opening riff with the D on my guitar and i myself get into a trans

My dad is still alive and when I listen to Release the tears just flow down my face its embarrasing..but I am alone...and it is good.
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • did this type of thing with Ten. with no other pj albums thou. figured it was because i was a teen. guess i thought wrong by the looks of this thread. lol!
    i REALLY got lost on black and garden.
    i wish i would still do that. it's great therapy!
    the images i got were wild. cool little mellodramatic music videos. spaced out to my popcorn ceiling too to the point of seeing pictures in it.

lord i sound like a freak!
    being a teen is/was weird.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    That used to be one of my favorite techniques to listening to music, seems like I hardly have time to get trance-like anymore while indulging in the jam.

The last time tho, I had just picked up Ten redux and made my way to the top of Alpine Bowl, right above a cornice. with a slight backgrond howl from the wind flowing over the ridge I sat there legs crossed and went through the whole ritual…it felt like my body lost about twenty pounds, everything was lighter. distracting and cumbersome thoughts had become dissipated…It was just beautiful, man…then dropped off the cornice and carved some of the cleanest lines I ever remember..fucking awesome!

Back to back to back to sick turns…haha
    Can’t wait for Christmas break and try it out with Backspacer..
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • I haven't tried to deliberately zone out to PJ, but I do remember one instance a few months back. I was laying in bed with the radio playing next to me and I dozed off. I woke up, half-awake and feeling a bit spacey just as Black was starting (only time I've heard it on that station since or before). I stayed awake for the whole song, just listening, totally content. Then, when it ended, I swear it seemed like nothing else playing, be it another song or radio ad, for minutes. I passed back out soon after.

Maybe I dreamed it, but I don't think I did, and it was such a weird thing.

I should try the whole trancing out thing some time though :P
  • noodles_jeffersonnoodles_jefferson Posts: 183
    edited November 2009
    Big Drop wrote:
    No weed, also no reggae, but yes, I zone the fuck out when I'm listening to Pearl Jam all alone in my apartment. It's usually while I'm listening to Vitalogy. I have it on vinyl, something about that album and the sound of the needle against grain, it just puts me in a trance. I'll lay the needle down and the next thing I know it's time to flip it over to the B-side.

yeah, that's a good one, especially tremor christ. it has a rhythm you can zone out to and it builds up toward the end like a crescendo where he sings "and you know what it's like!" or I think that's the line, then it drops and goes into the final verse...fucking awesome.
    Post edited by noodles_jefferson on

- Ben Franklin
  • did this type of thing with Ten. with no other pj albums thou. figured it was because i was a teen. guess i thought wrong by the looks of this thread. lol!
    i REALLY got lost on black and garden.
    i wish i would still do that. it's great therapy!
    the images i got were wild. cool little mellodramatic music videos. spaced out to my popcorn ceiling too to the point of seeing pictures in it.
    lord i sound like a freak!
    being a teen is/was weird.

re: the popcorn ceiling, no different than finding images in clouds. I used to make geometric patterns with the glass panels in a hutch in my living room while zoning out to music, I think part of the mind needs to be occupied while the rest of it wanders. I never could get to the point of total concentration during meditation when there is no sound. My mind will immediately focus on the most miniscule thing. I blame ADD. but music allows me to get into that zone.

- Ben Franklin
  • A little weed and Yield. I can blank my mind out, its like that little space of nothing, after you take in a really deep breath and release it all, then there is the pause of nothing, right before you breath in again...everything is gone, except the music, and you can actually "see" it.

Into The Wild is also perfect for meditation. I listen to it often to fall asleep.
  • Yes, I have done this before.

You know how when you wake up from a night's sleep or from a nap and you're not fully awake yet...you're still at least partially in a dream-like state?

Well one morning when I was in high school I was making the drive from my mom's house to my dad's house to get ready before school. This was early in the morning around 6 am and I was playing Vs. in my car's CD player...WMA came on and I was in a trance-like state listening to it and driving...

It's hard to describe...the way the music hit me, it was just surreal.

Also have done this while napping with music on...drifting in and out of consciousness, varying levels of sleep...the music is definitely changed, the way you perceive it I mean. It's quite magical.

• re: the popcorn ceiling, no different than finding images in clouds. I used to make geometric patterns with the glass panels in a hutch in my living room while zoning out to music, I think part of the mind needs to be occupied while the rest of it wanders.

yeah, i'm glad somebody knows what i'm talking about.

this thread feels like a confession. lol! it's not embrassing because other people do it too. (thank goodness!)

great screen name and pic BTW. :)

This was early in the morning around 6 am and I was playing Vs. in my car's CD player...WMA came on and I was in a trance-like state listening to it and driving...

sounds dangerous. don't crash! :mrgreen:

• great screen name and pic BTW. :)

thanks! noodles jefferson is the name of a dish that is served at the whitehouse. I thought it sounded like a great band name. i love strange names. that's my older daughter (3 1/2) and our dog
    This was early in the morning around 6 am and I was playing Vs. in my car's CD player...WMA came on and I was in a trance-like state listening to it and driving...

sounds dangerous. don't crash! :mrgreen:[/quote]

LOL that's what I was thinking. apparently, DWLTPJ can be just as dangerous as DWI

- Ben Franklin
  • great screen name and pic BTW. :)

thanks! noodles jefferson is the name of a dish that is served at the whitehouse. I thought it sounded like a great band name. i love strange names. that's my older daughter (3 1/2) and our dog

LOL that's what I was thinking. apparently, DWLTPJ can be just as dangerous as DWI[/quote]

One Adam 12, One Adam 12, do you read me? We got a bogey in violation of subjectivity code L14b 64 niner 5, A DWLTPJ. In pursuit of bogey now over.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Big Drop wrote:
    great screen name and pic BTW. :)

LOL that's what I was thinking. apparently, DWLTPJ can be just as dangerous as DWI

One Adam 12, One Adam 12, do you read me? We got a bogey in violation of subjectivity code L14b 64 niner 5, A DWLTPJ. In pursuit of bogey now over.[/quote]
    :D

- Ben Franklin
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,255
    Yes. Vinyl, beer, herbal medication, headphones. Best thing ever
  • holy crap! this thread is perfect. I was just thinking about this on my drive to work this morning. I had a bad night last night (slept equally as bad) and put on No Code and drove the long way (by the beach) to clear my head on the way to work. Well, I swear I almost drove off the road listening to 'Present Tense'. I was in a tranquility trance staring off at the ocean listening to those beautiful words and sounds. My favorite song ever - -by a landslide. :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Kinda like the dude on seinfeld spaced out during Desperado!!!
    Yeah...I do that
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    Sleight Of Hand usually stops me in my tracks and puts me in some sort of zone. Very cool song.
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
  • EdLaw wrote:
    Sleight Of Hand usually stops me in my tracks and puts me in some sort of zone. Very cool song.

Haha, nice...I was just now listening to Sleight of Hand and it JUST ended as I read your post.

• thanks! noodles jefferson is the name of a dish that is served at the whitehouse. I thought it sounded like a great band name. i love strange names. that's my older daughter (3 1/2) and our dog

very cool.
    learn something everyday. i didn't know that about the dish.