PBS in Columbus Ohio not showing PJ on ACL

SS68933SS68933 Posts: 13
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I just called the PBS station in Columbus Ohio wanting to know why the Pearl Jam is not listed they said that "It was not their genre of music" and "it was not purchased" and "is not being shown on anything through December"

They said that they have had a few calls.

Here is their number to call and complain.

WOSU Public Media
2400 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus, OH 43210-1027

Live Assistance available Monday-Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm.
After hours, please leave a voice-mail. Tel: 614.292.9678
General Fax: 614.292.7625
Radio Fax: 614.292.0513
TV Fax: 614.688.3343
E-Mail: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:wosu@osu.edu">wosu@osu.edu</a><!-- e -->

:evil:
Columbus 8/21/00
Columbus 06/24/03
Toledo 10/02/04
Grand Rapids 10/03/04
Cleveland 5/20/06
Cincinnati 6/24/06
Columbus 5/06/10
Wrigley 7/19/13
Cincinnati 10/1/14
Lexington 4/26/16
Wrigley 8/20/16
Wrigley 8/22/16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I know it's not the same, but I'm sure the entire show will be up on Youtube the following day
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • It will be on www.pbs.org.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Any one willing to burn a dvd?
    Columbus 8/21/00
    Columbus 06/24/03
    Toledo 10/02/04
    Grand Rapids 10/03/04
    Cleveland 5/20/06
    Cincinnati 6/24/06
    Columbus 5/06/10
    Wrigley 7/19/13
    Cincinnati 10/1/14
    Lexington 4/26/16
    Wrigley 8/20/16
    Wrigley 8/22/16
  • i just called them and spoke to a manager and asked them why are they discriminating against rock music and they should be ashamed and that myself and everyone I know would stop immediately donating money to the channel. She said they are getting a ton of calls and they are considering showing it. I told her to shove it up her ass and I don't watch prejudice stations and hung up.

I'll torrent this on jamriver Sunday.
  • What the hell? That goes against all that PBS stands for. I wonder if they are aware that one of their affiliates is behaving like that?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i just called them and spoke to a manager and asked them why are they discriminating against rock music and they should be ashamed and that myself and everyone I know would stop immediately donating money to the channel. She said they are getting a ton of calls and they are considering showing it. I told her to shove it up her ass and I don't watch prejudice stations and hung up.

overreact much? the fans of this band frighten me...
  • It is not being shown on my local PBS station in Massachusetts. :twisted:
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • The same PBS channel in Columbus did not play the PBS Soundstage episode with Death Cab for Cutie that was slated to air on July 9th, 2009.

Can this be found on line?
    Columbus 8/21/00
    Columbus 06/24/03
    Toledo 10/02/04
    Grand Rapids 10/03/04
    Cleveland 5/20/06
    Cincinnati 6/24/06
    Columbus 5/06/10
    Wrigley 7/19/13
    Cincinnati 10/1/14
    Lexington 4/26/16
    Wrigley 8/20/16
    Wrigley 8/22/16
  • This is bullshit! "Not their genre of music??" The Columbus affiliate is a COLLEGE station! WOSU! How in the hell can they say its not their genre of music?
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    i just called them and spoke to a manager and asked them why are they discriminating against rock music and they should be ashamed and that myself and everyone I know would stop immediately donating money to the channel. She said they are getting a ton of calls and they are considering showing it.
    Awesome!
    I told her to shove it up her ass and I don't watch prejudice stations and hung up.
    Not so much.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...

• overreact much? the fans of this band frighten me...

2 things.

1. i didn't call this station in columbus i live in cali. i was being sarcastic. :?

and 2. you overreact more than anyone on here about things that the rest of us read and "MOVE ON". what happened did a bunch of "the cool" pearl jam fans laugh at you and make fun of you before. it's ok your not in highschool anymore time should have healed those wounds.
  • 16chez2116chez21 Posts: 94
    edited November 2009
    It is not being shown on my local PBS station in Massachusetts. :twisted:

I am in Boston. I could swear that I set my DVR to record this show a while ago; I hope I am right. But according to the website, they are not showing it. Luckily, Gnarls Barkley (11/22) will be played!
    Post edited by 16chez21 on
  • My wife works at our local PBS station and I think she would encourage dialog from the community. If they are not showing something, call them and let them know.

Obviously, try to be as polite as possible, but state your claim.

PBS relies on "viewers like you", so your opinions and comments really do make a difference.

I would also encourage you to support your local PBS station with a monetary gift. :D PBS puts food on our table. ;) I had to throw that in there.

Again, do voice your concerns, but try to be as nice as you can. :) All you have to do is mention that you'll have to reconsider your contribution to the station during pledge...that will perk their ears up.

Cheers,

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • My wife works at our local PBS station and I think she would encourage dialog from the community. If they are not showing something, call them and let them know.

Obviously, try to be as polite as possible, but state your claim.

PBS relies on "viewers like you", so your opinions and comments really do make a difference.

I would also encourage you to support your local PBS station with a monetary gift. :D PBS puts food on our table. ;) I had to throw that in there.

Again, do voice your concerns, but try to be as nice as you can. :) All you have to do is mention that you'll have to reconsider your contribution to the station during pledge...that will perk their ears up.

Cheers,

PBM

I have emailed many times. Not one email has been returned.
  • FYI...ThinkTV 14 & 16 out of Dayton & Oxford are showing this episode. Not sure if the columbus market get these channels but luckily I do!
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • 16chez21 wrote:
    I have emailed many times. Not one email has been returned.

I encourage you to place a call. An email is easy to put off...a direct call from a member of the community will garner attention faster.

Good luck...and remember what Swayze says, "Be nice." :D

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    WTTW Channel 11 in Chicago is not playing it until like 1:00 AM on Monday morning?? I checked last night to set it to record. I have Directv, so I am not sure if that makes any difference.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    SS68933 wrote:
    The same PBS channel in Columbus did not play the PBS Soundstage episode with Death Cab for Cutie that was slated to air on July 9th, 2009.

Can this be found on line?

FYI, they did play it, but maybe not on that day. I know because I watched it. I emailed them a few weeks ago, not about Pearl Jam, but about ACL in general, because they didnt start airing it until weeks after the season began, and also because they show it at like midnight or 1 am or something. I was informed that they had started showing another show in its time and they liked it better, so ACL got bumped. I assumed they would be showing the PJ show in January, because based on the schedule, that is when it would show up if they showed the shows in order. I will have to call sometime today just to throw another voice out there.

I remember back in 2000/2001, Pearl Jam put together an hour show, of songs from Touring Band 2000, that PBS stations showed. This same station, WOSU, did not air that either, and I remember emailing them about it, and they said they didn't even know about it or something. Sounds like we got some anti-PJ fans on hands here.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Riot_Mac wrote:
    WTTW Channel 11 in Chicago is not playing it until like 1:00 AM on Monday morning?? I checked last night to set it to record. I have Directv, so I am not sure if that makes any difference.

yeah my new york pbs is showing it a 3am i think, at least i can dvr it.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    i just called them and spoke to a manager and asked them why are they discriminating against rock music and they should be ashamed and that myself and everyone I know would stop immediately donating money to the channel. She said they are getting a ton of calls and they are considering showing it. I told her to shove it up her ass and I don't watch prejudice stations and hung up.

Yeah scary is a good adjective
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • It won't be aired on my local station according to their website but I'm hoping it's wrong because they've been airing all the others: Foo Fighters, REM, Ben Harper

At least I can watch it online
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

2 things.

1. i didn't call this station in columbus i live in cali. i was being sarcastic. :?

and 2. you overreact more than anyone on here about things that the rest of us read and "MOVE ON". what happened did a bunch of "the cool" pearl jam fans laugh at you and make fun of you before. it's ok your not in highschool anymore time should have healed those wounds.

1. had no clue you were joking, my bad. thought you really cut loose on probably some high school kid that has no power to change pbs policy.

2. huh? things that the rest of us read and move on? what's that mean?

fyi, i don't think it's playing in cleveland as far as i can tell.

• yeah my new york pbs is showing it a 3am i think, at least i can dvr it.

Midnight and 3 AM on channel 21 out of Long Island. I get three PBS channels and this is the only one showing it. Gotta love DVR!
  • from Entertainment Weekly magazine this week, in their TV Picks

9-10PM
    PBS

Austin City Limits

"Pearl Jam perform songs from their latest album, Backspacer. I would say they haven't done anything good in 14 years, but frankly, I'm scared of Pearl Jam fans."

*check local listings

it's on in Cincinnati on the 28th.
    Nice shirt.

• thought you really cut loose on probably some high school kid that has no power to change pbs policy.

:lol: every post of mine on here is a joke.....for future reference, take nothing i post seriously.
  • I checked both PBS stations in Seattle and neither one of them are playing it at anytime in the 2 weeks. I think we're getting screwed here.
  • from Entertainment Weekly magazine this week, in their TV Picks

9-10PM
    PBS

Austin City Limits

"Pearl Jam perform songs from their latest album, Backspacer. I would say they haven't done anything good in 14 years, but frankly, I'm scared of Pearl Jam fans."

*check local listings

it's on in Cincinnati on the 28th.

Who's the dumbass that said that? Guess that's why they write about TV and not music.
  • WPBY here in Charleston, WV is playing it. Maybe WPBY is just cool like that. They did show Touring Band 2000 in July of 2001.

I will be recording it in HD. If I can find a way to get it on the interwebs, I will.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Riot_Mac wrote:

i looked at sat time slot and couldn't find it. i didn't look for monday at 1am. good lord. don't they know PJ fans are old and in bed at that hour.

guess i will have to catch it online. oh well, its not like i have missed pj or eddie shows in the last two years.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Who's the dumbass that said that? Guess that's why they write about TV and not music.
    *check local listings

In EW's defense, they do suggest you check your local station. The premiere episode for those PBS stations who choose to carry it will be held in that time slot.

PBM