Options

Stone Suprises Indian Reservation School with Visit

Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Sorry if this is a repost, thought it was cool

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/03/20/news/local/doc47e1f54b44d40614385707.txt

Pearl Jam guitarist rocks Red Cloud in surprise visit

By Journal staff

Red Cloud Indian School students and teachers were surprised Monday by a visit from Stone Gossard, Pearl Jam's rhythmic guitarist and vocalist. Although he is best known for his work in the popular rock band, Gossard is known at Red Cloud for his contributions to rebuilding homes and making wheelchair ramps for the elderly and handicapped on Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, according to a news release from the school.

"What a special surprise this was for our students and teachers," said the Rev. Peter Klink, president of the school. "It's not every day that a rock legend like Stone comes to a school like Red Cloud to meet with and perform for students."

Originally from Seattle, Gossard became a life-long friend of local residents John Red Feather and Karen Weasel Bear after he sponsored a home for Red Feather's mother 13 years ago through Habitat for Humanity. It was this relationship that brought Gossard back to Pine Ridge.

During his visit to Red Cloud, Gossard performed an acoustic concert for the students, speaking between songs about his life and urging the students to look to the future.

"You can find a path through any of the things you do," Gossard said. "Whether it be playing music or making something, find out what it is that you 'do' and go with it."

Local band Golden Warrior joined Gossard for a few songs, including Hank Williams' hits "Mind Your Own Business" and "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry." After the concert, Gossard met with students.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    he is such a pimp..

<3 stone <3
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    that's a really sweet thing to do... I didn't know he had sponsored a house for Habitat... Stone's a nice guy
  • Options
    Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    boo
  • Options
    what would it take for him to come build ME a handicap ramp? being bedridden isn't all it's cracked up to be, you know! or is it? *stuffs face with cheetos and pizza*