Options

I'm Gone.... from my job! :-)

kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
edited August 2008 in The Porch
I got laid off from my job today. Not horrible, they're giving me a good severance package and I hated that fnckin' job anyway, been passively looking for something else.

But as I was leaving, back of my car full of boxes of 5 years of crap I'd accumulated, I felt happy and felt the need for some music. Nothing found on the radio but I knew I had some CDs queued up in the player. Hit "play" and to my surprise and joy this is what I got to sing at the top of my lungs as I sped down the freeway:

No more upset mornings
No more tired evenings
This American dream
I am disbelieving

<snip to relevant pieces>

Feel like a question is forming
and the answers far
I will be what i could be
Once I get out of this (job)

I'm gone
Long gone I'm letting go of it all
So long
Cause this time I'm gone

Ed always knows just the right thing to say. :D

Next up, Rearviewmirror !

Peace,
KJ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    maybe now, you will find something you enjoy doing ;)

PJ and Ed... theres lots of answers to be discovered in their songs.

:) good luck.
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    Sorry to hear about this. Not a good time to be looking for work.

but as they say, one door closes, another opens

I hope that is the case for you

best of luck
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    Gongrats. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. You are free. Go see some world. SMILE and enjoy your life.

I am so happy for you.

I don't want to lose my job but I envy your freedom.
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,585
    TipJammer wrote:
    Gongrats. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. You are free. Go see some world. SMILE and enjoy your life.

I am so happy for you.

I don't want to lose my job but I envy your freedom.

My thoughts exactly! Its a whole new world! Enjoy
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    for a second there i thought the song that came up was "unemployable" ;)
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    kj1nyr wrote:
    I got laid off from my job today. Not horrible, they're giving me a good severance package and I hated that fnckin' job anyway, been passively looking for something else.

Peace,
    KJ

I'm hoping to be in the same situation by the end of the year. Hoping to do something creative when the time comes - latest idea is photographer ;) !

Not sure if I'd be good enough - but I want to try something I enjoy for a change!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    kj1nyr wrote:

But as I was leaving, back of my car full of boxes of 5 years of crap I'd accumulated, I felt happy and felt the need for some music. Nothing found on the radio but I knew I had some CDs queued up in the player. Hit "play" and to my surprise and joy this is what I got to sing at the top of my lungs as I sped down the freeway:

No more upset mornings
    No more tired evenings
    This American dream
    I am disbelieving

and the answers far

I'm gone
    So long
    Cause this time I'm gone

Peace,
    KJ

That's fucking great!
    Rockon!
    I can get you a toe by three o'clock...
  • Options
    for a second there i thought the song that came up was "unemployable" ;)

LMAO! That's great.

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone.
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    strummers wrote:
    I'm hoping to be in the same situation by the end of the year. Hoping to do something creative when the time comes - latest idea is photographer ;) !

Not sure if I'd be good enough - but I want to try something I enjoy for a change!

Yeah, I did that already...if you want some advise PM me.... also, let me see some of you work if you don't mind.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    did it come has a surprise, or did you pop in avacado and skip to gone because you has a feeling this morning

What next for you now ????
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763
    It's amazing how music can relate to pretty much anything that happens in life.

Good luck where ever this road takes you!
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i got laid off on monday, and not one part of me is happy about it. in fact i feel quite f'd right now... thinking about hitting the road to travel for a few months.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Take some time to sit back and relax! I'm sure you deserve it.

Don't take too much time though...you don't want to get caught with your pants down...metaphorically of course.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    I got laid off in August of last year and I didn't work again until December. It was great! I woke up whenever, went to the gym, basically did whatever the eff I wanted.
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    kj1nyr wrote:

No more upset mornings
    No more tired evenings
    This American dream
    I am disbelieving

and the answers far

I'm gone
    So long
    Cause this time I'm gone

Peace,
    KJ

Good luck if nothing else you got some poster you can live off of for a few months :D

But seriously I feel your pain, my job told me that they are going to start laying people off on Monday.... that don't know who but there is going to be a lot of cuts..... and unfortunately I love my job
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    smile05 wrote:
    did it come has a surprise, or did you pop in avacado and skip to gone because you has a feeling this morning

What next for you now ????

It was a complete surprise, and it was from the Gorge 06 live set, which I hadn't listened to in months. I have no idea which night or which disk, it just happened. Hit "play" and "I'm Gone" started. Took me a sec to realize the irony. Perfect. I took it as a good sign.

I don't know what's next. I know I've been tired of working 9 hours a day in a cubicle then another 2-3 hours from home, often 6 days a week. I'm happy to have my life back, think I'll try something like pet sitting or something else low tech. But first things first, got a road trip planned week after Labor Day.
    Gmoney wrote:
    i got laid off on monday, and not one part of me is happy about it. in fact i feel quite f'd right now... thinking about hitting the road to travel for a few months.

I'm so sorry. That sucks for you. This is the second time I've ever been let go of a job. The first was after 9/11 when the hospitality industry went belly up (I supervise teams of software testers for hotel applications). I was where you were the first time, it was devastating. I'm better prepared emotionally and financially this time. I have enough money in my "Fuck you fund" to survive for two months,even without severance or unemployment. Hopefully you'll land on your feet and it will turn out to be a good thing for both of us. Travel is always a good plan when life hands you lemons. Driving can help you think, visit friends in other parts of the country, crash on their couches and enjoy the freedom. You'll be tied to another job soon enough.
    KDH12 wrote:
    Good luck if nothing else you got some poster you can live off of for a few months :D

But seriously I feel your pain, my job told me that they are going to start laying people off on Monday.... that don't know who but there is going to be a lot of cuts..... and unfortunately I love my job

If I didn't mind being absolutely hated as a flipper I know I could make a living flipping posters, but that damn belief in karma prevents it. Still, I'll likely sell off some of my collection in the coming weeks. I hope you still have the job you love come Tuesday. Best of luck!

Peace,
    KJ

If I told you what it takes
    to reach the highest high,
    You'd laugh and say 'nothing's that simple'
    But you've been told many times before
    Messiahs pointed to the door
    And no one had the guts to leave the temple!
  • Options
    Weird how things work. I just learned this evening I'll have the opportunity to interview for my job with a larger copmany. Gotta say, it blows. Of course, I'm married with a child and house, so I can't be as 'free wheeling' as everyone else. At least I know I'll be fine, no matter what happens.
    For Rent
  • Options
    Weird how things work. I just learned this evening I'll have the opportunity to interview for my job with a larger copmany. Gotta say, it blows. Of course, I'm married with a child and house, so I can't be as 'free wheeling' as everyone else. At least I know I'll be fine, no matter what happens.

I'm not exactly free myself. I have a disabled husband with no income, 3 dogs and a mortgage. 5 mouths to feed once the severence and saving runs out. But if we're careful we'll get by for a few months. And I'll get something else, I know that.

Corporate America is a roller coaster these days. Good luck to you with your interview.

Peace,
    KJ