Jeff Ament - "p bass" ????

brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
edited November 2009 in The Porch
ok it's written in the liner notes of Backspacer after Jeff's name "p bass". I just looked it up and it states that it's short for Fender's Precision Bass. but what I don't get is that in all these photos it doesn't look like Jeff plays a Fender brand! I'm seeing Hamer, weird shapes/brands. so can "p-bass" be a generic thing?? or is it just that he played p bass on Backspacer, and he's giving the brand a lil shout out. I'm half confused - half curious :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• im pretty sure it just means he played a precision on the album even if he didnt on the tour.
    I saw him using a p bass in a few performances
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • broloco wrote:
    ok it's written in the liner notes of Backspacer after Jeff's name "p bass". I just looked it up and it states that it's short for Fender's Precision Bass. but what I don't get is that in all these photos it doesn't look like Jeff plays a Fender brand! I'm seeing Hamer, weird shapes/brands. so can "p-bass" be a generic thing?? or is it just that he played p bass on Backspacer, and he's giving the brand a lil shout out. I'm half confused - half curious :)

The p bass is a pretty legendary shape. He does own some Feder p basses and travels with some that use the same p bass shape.
  • p bass have specific pickups so it doesn't have to be fender brand
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Here's a pretty reliable site that details Mr. Ament's gear (including the p basses that he uses):
    http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/185/38/

Peace
  • I would imagine that he used his old white '64 Fender Precision bass on most, if not all, of the tracks for Backspacer. He seems to record with it (see the Riot Act gear list) and Stone uses it live for "Smile". It's got thick nylon wound strings on it and sounds awesome.
    1998 - 11/3 (SYD2)
    2003 - 11/2 (SYD1), 13/2 (SYD2), 14/2 (SYD3), 8/7 (MSG1), 9/7 (MSG2), 11/7 (BOS3)
    2006 - 7/11 (SYD1), 8/11 (SYD2), 10/11 (BRIS1), 18/11 (SYD3)
    2009 - 20/11 (MEL), 22/11 (SYD)
    2011 - 18/3 (EVSYD1), 19/3 (EVSYD2), 24/3 (EVMEL1), 25/3 (EVMEL2)
    2014 - 26/1 (BDOSYD)
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Here's a pretty reliable site that details Mr. Ament's gear (including the p basses that he uses):
    http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/185/38/

Peace

cool link! thanks. yeah when I read the p bass thing it struck me as quirky or odd. still does. obviously I not a guitar person ...so can any of you bass guys hear a def distinctive sound? how does the liner note thing read to you? again just curious thing. I'm not obsessed with the bass aspect, but more liner note writing intrigues me! cheers~