Options

U2 3D - will PJ go 3D?

kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Check out this article from yesterday. This line especially caught my eye:

"Almost every group from the Police to Pearl Jam seems to have one in the works"

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/348339_u23dq.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    i for one hope not really would like them to revert back to the days of obscurity just for us here this is just my opinion ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    yah the 3D trend is pretty cheesey IMO... i dont think its gonna catch on... its been around for so long and if people were really into it it wouldve caught on already... it gives me a headache after prolonged exposure to it (i.e. beowulf)... my initial reaction to the 3D trailer for U23D was that its a cool idea and it looked pretty lifelike and everything... but i think its just too gimmicky for PJ and i dont want that kind of negative exposure for them... i too want them to go back to obscurity
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    the people who want them to go back to obscurity make me laugh. based on album sales, they sort of are back to obscurity. that is probably too dramatic a word for it but they aren't very mainstream anymore. i guarantee almost every person here would go see that movie if it existed.
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 382
    NO pearl jam wouldnt do it.

I love U2, but their concerts are more of "shows" with lights and lasers and video screens and such. this would be cool in 3D, whereas a regular pearl jam show wouldnt be as appealing.

then again if i saw Stone doing his head bob like a chicken in 3D I would be blown away...
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    the people who want them to go back to obscurity make me laugh. based on album sales, they sort of are back to obscurity. that is probably too dramatic a word for it but they aren't very mainstream anymore. i guarantee almost every person here would go see that movie if it existed.
    for sure id see it... i just dont like to see PJ go down any of the same roads as U2... or the muppets

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283

i don't care about album sales or how much they sell of anything i just hope they don't follow trend that's all, i'd rather they just go about bussiness like allways just stay under the radar
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    they have yet to let me down, so I trust their judgement

now annouce the frigging plans for 2008!

thanks so much
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I for one LOVE 3D and hope the band does this right away! Any word on when this U2 thing is going to be released?
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    I going to go see U2 3D this weekend. I will report back on my experience for those who are interested.
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    I have my ticket for tonight's 10 o' clock showing at Universal City IMAX. Should be sweet. Got rave reviews at Sundance even from people who are not really into U2.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    sgossard3 wrote:
    or the muppets

Pearl Jam would have been awesome on the Muppet Show... Eddie and Kermit... killer... just killer.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Oh, and isn't 3D kind of obscure anyways?
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    moses562 wrote:
    Pearl Jam would have been awesome on the Muppet Show... Eddie and Kermit... killer... just killer.
    speaking of PJ appearances in shows i think i heard something about the new simpsons this week being about "grunge" music or something... i was doing something else when i overheard the commercial... hopefully PJ makes an appearance... theyve had SP and the who... id love to see PJ in simpsons form :D

• Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    this sounds kinda fancy, but you know what i would absolutely love them to do?

WORK ON A NEW ALBUM
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    Thanks for the info. That'll make for a sweet date.
  • Options
    tish wrote:
    Thanks for the info. That'll make for a sweet date.
    unless your date has a lazy eye :p

• Options
    Nah, I shoot the lame ones like a horse. Unless of course, they are of stallion callibre.
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    sgossard3 wrote:
    yah the 3D trend is pretty cheesey IMO... i dont think its gonna catch on... its been around for so long and if people were really into it it wouldve caught on already... it gives me a headache after prolonged exposure to it (i.e. beowulf)... my initial reaction to the 3D trailer for U23D was that its a cool idea and it looked pretty lifelike and everything... but i think its just too gimmicky for PJ and i dont want that kind of negative exposure for them... i too want them to go back to obscurity

where?
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    im so stoked for U23D!
    I had no idea the police were in the making of one.
    I dunno I think seeing Pearl Jam on the big screen would be pretty sweet.
    Adge
    12.9.06= Rockin In The Free World
  • Options
    This presentation is another fine example of marketing genious. Steal that!
  • Options
    The article does NOT claim or imply Pearl Jam is making a 3D concert film. In context of the article, it's clear that the quote in the original post is talking about concert films in general:
    The music recording business may be in the toilet, but the concert business has never been better. This reality has created a corresponding boom in concert films, which are lucrative in themselves but also serve as a kind of ad for the live thrills of the big pop acts.

Almost every group from the Police to Pearl Jam seems to have one in the works, and on our immediate horizon are both a Hannah Montana concert film from Disney (Feb. 1) and the Rolling Stones' reputedly epic "Shine a Light," directed by Martin Scorsese (April 4).

Meanwhile, first out of the concert-film gate in '08 is "U2 3D," a showcase of the Irish band in digital 3-D that is so technologically advanced and totally exhilarating in every way that it may just make all the other '08 concert films obsolete.
    Now, whether or not Pearl Jam would ever follow in U2's footsteps and make a 3D concert film... and whether folks around here would go to see it... is still an interesting topic. I don't want to discourage that discussion at all, but do want to make sure we all realize that the discussion is not grounded in any evidence.

Continue on... :)
  • Options
    I read that James Cameron's new big budget Sci Fi movie coming out in 09 is supposedly is being filmed in a new 3D process that is suposedly mind blowing and the tech also lets you digitally alter any characters. I can just see Ed in 3D and 6'2" instead of 5'7" and all on a giant IMAX screen
  • Options
    Don't forget that Pearl Jam opened up for U2 in HI. If the cameras were set up during that show, why not flip them on for the opening act. What a cool idea!
  • Options
    Don't forget that Pearl Jam opened up for U2 in HI. If the cameras were set up during that show, why not flip them on for the opening act. What a cool idea!

I saw U2 3D tonight. It was filmed in Argentina though so no chance of getting the opening act, although that would have been cool, especially because I was at the Hawaii show.

I really enjoyed the movie and the 3D experience was perfect for U2 and their live show. I don't think it would translate for Pearl Jam although just seeing them in regular 2D on the big screen was awesome when we saw the Imagine in Cornice DVD screening at the Ziegfield.

With both, sometimes it seemed like we were actually at the concert.
  • Options
    I saw U23D tonight and it was excellent. It was a very cool experience. As other people have mentioned, there are lots of visual effects at a U2 concert which helped to make the 3D experience even better. Throw in the great sound system in an IMAX theater and it's definitely worth the $15.00 per ticket.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    kj1nyr wrote:
    Check out this article from yesterday. This line especially caught my eye:

"Almost every group from the Police to Pearl Jam seems to have one in the works"

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/348339_u23dq.html

Who cares? Just tour!
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    i for one hope not really would like them to revert back to the days of obscurity just for us here this is just my opinion ...

thats probably the most selfish thing ive ever heard actually
  • Options
    poto101 wrote:

I love U2, but their concerts are more of "shows" with lights and lasers and video screens and such. this would be cool in 3D, whereas a regular pearl jam show wouldnt be as appealing.

totally disagree....as cool as some of the "effects" are in U23D the majority of what was so amazing to me was just getting to see the band so close up, it actually feels as if you're on stage with them...completely amazing. i'd kill to see a PJ film done in the same fashion. the close ups on the members as they are playing and interacting is unreal, not to mention the crowd shots and overall feel of it

do i think it will happen, no. but man it'd rock

any music/concert lover owes it him/herself to go see U23D, you won't be disappointed, it puts all other concert films to shame, regardless of it being U2...it's just damn good
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    poto101 wrote:

then again if i saw Stone doing his head bob like a chicken in 3D I would be blown away...
    hahaha, stones face coming at you in 3d... oh my.
    gettin' all up in mah grill
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    I heard this on the radio yesterday and it gave me one more reason to hate U2. BONO IN 3D!!!!!!!...so stupid.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."