does Jeff's bass line in Jut Breathe...

PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
edited March 2010 in The Porch
remind you of Happy Jack by The Who?

it reaches a point towards the end where his bass line is more noticeable and for the longest time i kept thinking that the bass line sounded familiar, wasn't till i heard it today when i put a finger on what song it reminded me of...it was (as i mentioned before) Happy Jack.

i know it's not the same exact bass line, but it sounds a lot like it...i like Jeff's bass line there, it really ads to the song.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I can't speak for the similarity with Happy Jack, but the bass line does stand out to me. I think it's the best one on the album, and it really does add something to the song.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    love the bass in that tune, it makes the song better, and it is essential to it IMO
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    i always noticed the bass line and liked it in the song but never thought it sounded like anything until you mentioned it. does sorta have the same feel as happy jack.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    For some reason my memory is telling me this bass line sounds strongly similar to the bass line from some 70's western. Not joking. I just can't remember which one.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    HeavyHands wrote:
    For some reason my memory is telling me this bass line sounds strongly similar to the bass line from some 70's western. Not joking. I just can't remember which one.

Haha...I agree with this!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • DS114969 wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

Haha...I agree with this!

being only 19, i've only seen The Good The Bad and The Ugly, so cant be much help there...

i'm not saying it's a stolen bassline, or that it's inspired by Happy Jack, it's just what pops into my head whenever i hear the song, i absolutely love the bass in that song, in fact i love the song, it's probably my favorite off the album with Got Some and Amongst the Waves tailgating like a teenage driver weaving through traffic (really close behind)
  • reminds me of Crazy by Gnarls Barkley
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I think I figured out why Ament's bass line in Just Breathe sounds so familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9XEs9H2JI
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • HeavyHands wrote:
    I think I figured out why Ament's bass line in Just Breathe sounds so familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9XEs9H2JI
    :lol::lol::lol:

I was gonna say it sounded a little like bonanza :lol:
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Has anyone noticed that Jeff is playing "Wipeout" at the beginning and end of "Johnny Guitar"? :lol: