"PJ doesnt deserve to share a stage with Bad Religion"

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited November 2009 in The Porch
"PJ doesnt deserve to share a stage with Bad Religion", is what a girl who I was hitting on at a bar said to me on Saturday night.

it was a bizarre night. I almost got hit by a car on my bike. Then I was at my favorite small music venue and the bartender that i talk to quite often and flirt with all the time (She is always talking about cool music too)commented on a Bad Religion song that was playing between bands setting up on stage. She said they were her favorite band. So I told her that her favorite band and my favorite band shared a stage recently. I was expecting something totally different, but she got pissed and said that PJ didnt deserve to be on the same stage. I tried to reason with her. I said that i'm sure all the guys from each band are friendly with each other and that they were surely honoured to play together. She said it was a travesty, so of course, I came back with "what was the last PJ album or song you even know?" She couldnt name one besides from TEN. She got pissy and walked away...I got irritated and left. Then my bike was stolen off the tree I locked it to (on a busy street too!).

I went straight home and listened to backspacer and felt bad for her.

I dont understand why people are close-minded about PJ, or close-minded about two band that play together. It's not like Bad Religion didnt know who they were opening for. :roll:
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    This was obviously not the girl for you.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    i hope your bike wasnt nice (and expensive)

i hates bike thieves :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • My biggest question:

What if the Pearl Jam/Bad religion conversation never happened and you were successful and she agreed to go home with you........Was your plan for her to sit on your handlebars while you drove the bike? :lol:
  • MD97728MD97728 Posts: 115
    there just has to be something wrong with this chick! had no clue what to expect when i saw them open for the greatest band EVER but they weren't half bad. i only went early to see them because i heard eddie comes out and joins them for a song! whatever though. that's her opinion. certainly ain't mine!
  • hahaha.
    its so weird how some people have only heard ten or vs., its like they've been around for almost 20 years they have to have more albums hahaa.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Bad Religion couldn't hold a candle to Social D, and that's all I'll say about that.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    My biggest question:

What if the Pearl Jam/Bad religion conversation never happened and you were successful and she agreed to go home with you........Was your plan for her to sit on your handlebars while you drove the bike? :lol:

:lol:
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Is this the bike that was stolen???

bestbike.jpg
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • "PJ doesnt deserve to share a stage with Bad Religion", is what a girl who I was hitting on at a bar said to me on Saturday night.

it was a bizarre night. I almost got hit by a car on my bike. Then I was at my favorite small music venue and the bartender that i talk to quite often and flirt with all the time (She is always talking about cool music too)commented on a Bad Religion song that was playing between bands setting up on stage. She said they were her favorite band. So I told her that her favorite band and my favorite band shared a stage recently. I was expecting something totally different, but she got pissed and said that PJ didnt deserve to be on the same stage. I tried to reason with her. I said that i'm sure all the guys from each band are friendly with each other and that they were surely honoured to play together. She said it was a travesty, so of course, I came back with "what was the last PJ album or song you even know?" She couldnt name one besides from TEN. She got pissy and walked away...I got irritated and left. Then my bike was stolen off the tree I locked it to (on a busy street too!).

I went straight home and listened to backspacer and felt bad for her.

I dont understand why people are close-minded about PJ, or close-minded about two band that play together. It's not like Bad Religion didnt know who they were opening for. :roll:

Because 99% of the general radio-listening public think Pearl Jam put out one album and can only name three of their songs......and at that time, they were SUPER popular, and you all know how uncool that is.... ;)
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    It's not like Bad Religion didnt know who they were opening for. :roll:
    Yeah, who was opening for who?
  • Poor guy. I feel for you that your bike got stolen. I know it's all in good nature and I know they mean no harm but that sucks that there are a couple of people razzing you about it.

When I find someone who tells me Pearl Jam sucks or that they are sell outs or even just if I tell them Pearl Jam is my favorite band and they say, "Oh yeah, that band that does the song Jeremy," it actually makes me happy. The prestige of a college is judged by how exclusive it is, not how inclusive it is. I feel the same way about Pearl Jam. The less people that dedicate themselves to Pearl Jam's music the way I do, the more rewarding it is when I find someone else who does.

There are other chicks out there dude. When you find "her," it will be that much sweeter. Then you and her can go back to that bar and talk to each other obnoxiously loud about how much better Pearl Jam is than Bad Religion.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Diggy381Diggy381 Posts: 165
    My girlfriend is a HUGE Bad Religion fan. She doesn't go so far as to say that PJ have no business sharing a stage, but she really likes them a lot.

I took her to the Philly 10/31 show and the biggest selling point for her was that Bad Religion would be there. I had not heard much of their stuff up until then, but I can safely say that did like them quite a bit. She was really disappointed that hardly anyone was in their seats while they played, but (even after my explanation) she could not seem to understand that almost no one there could have cared less about BR. Poeple generally don't go to concerts to specifically see the opening band (I am aware that it DOES happen but I think it is a small demographic.)

I came to the conclusion that PJ and BR's style may vary a little too much for their respective fans to be into the other. Also, even by the lead singer of Bad Religion's own admission, that was a much larger venue than the generally ever play anyway. About 200 - 300 people getting together to see them is probably considered a good turnout for them IMO.
  • mh184572 wrote:
    My girlfriend is a HUGE Bad Religion fan. She doesn't go so far as to say that PJ have no business sharing a stage, but she really likes them a lot.

I took her to the Philly 10/31 show and the biggest selling point for her was that Bad Religion would be there. I had not heard much of their stuff up until then, but I can safely say that did like them quite a bit. She was really disappointed that hardly anyone was in their seats while they played, but (even after my explanation) she could not seem to understand that almost no one there could have cared less about BR. Poeple generally don't go to concerts to specifically see the opening band (I am aware that it DOES happen but I think it is a small demographic.)

I came to the conclusion that PJ and BR's style may vary a little too much for their respective fans to be into the other. Also, even by the lead singer of Bad Religion's own admission, that was a much larger venue than the generally ever play anyway. About 200 - 300 people getting together to see them is probably considered a good turnout for them IMO.

I love both bands, but PJ is by FAR my fav....I would agree with you though. I have found the majority of the people i meet have limited tastes in music. Sometimes I wish people would broaden their horizons. So much good stuff out there.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    my band's better than your band ... people still have these arguments?

freakin' children.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • hahaha.
    its so weird how some people have only heard ten or vs., its like they've been around for almost 20 years they have to have more albums hahaa.

I get this all the time. Although, my wife gets it worse than me.
    Seriously, group of teachers, early thirties practically turned their noses up at us when we mentioned that we were travelling to Chicago for two shows this past summer. "You mean like Even Flow/Jeremy Pearl Jam, ugh, who knew they were still around and why?"

These are people we are friends with for years and they looked at us like we were attending a clan meeting. Then not ten minutes later they were discussing - I kid you not - since they were already going to see Rascal Flats, should they postpone their San Diego trip by two days so they can see Poison/Whitesnake at PNC bank arts center.

Some people just live in a bubble. Granted that bubble is made completely out of ignorance bad taste, but it is still a bubble.
    http://twitter.com/DarthSpacegrass
    Maple Leaf Gardens - Sep 21 - Downing Stadium, Randall's Island - Sep 28,29 1996 Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29 - Continental Arena - Sep 08 - MSG - Sep 10,11 1998 Jones Beach Music Theatre - Aug 24,25 2000 MSG - Jun 25, 2008 United Center - Aug 23,24 - Philly Spectrum - October 28,31 2009 PruCenter - May 18 - MSG - May 20,21 2010
  • I think Bad Religion sucks.
  • My biggest question:

haha! that's funny.
    Actually, I almost had a girl ride the handlebars home a few weeks ago! but I think she came to her senses. I dont ever plan on hooking up and taking them home anyways. I'm more old school.

And yes, you are all right, this obviosly wasnt the girl for me. It is just rare in my town to find ladies that are into varieities of music as much as she was, so it came as a shock to me.

And the bike was old, but in great shape. I had the bike for 14 years and have put countless miles on it. it more of a sentimental loss. :cry:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    My biggest question:

That’s my move :D …and if you’ve only got a couple blocks to go it can make for some nice foreplay.. *makes note to get padding on handlebars replaced*..

As to getting pissy and walking away, I would rationalize …shes either gay, or playing very hard to get because anybody in their right mind knows pearl jam is more than deserving
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • MD97728 wrote:
    there just has to be something wrong with this chick! had no clue what to expect when i saw them open for the greatest band EVER but they weren't half bad. i only went early to see them because i heard eddie comes out and joins them for a song! whatever though. that's her opinion. certainly ain't mine!

ooooh, I didnt know Eddie joined them for a song. I'm going to have to make sure she sees this. Off to youtube...
  • Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 753
    mh184572 wrote:
    Poeple generally don't go to concerts to specifically see the opening band (I am aware that it DOES happen but I think it is a small demographic.)

I did this once. I went to a Tom Petty show to see Pearl Jam open. Once PJ left so did I.
  • Big Drop wrote:
    Poor guy. I feel for you that your bike got stolen. I know it's all in good nature and I know they mean no harm but that sucks that there are a couple of people razzing you about it.

When I find someone who tells me Pearl Jam sucks or that they are sell outs or even just if I tell them Pearl Jam is my favorite band and they say, "Oh yeah, that band that does the song Jeremy," it actually makes me happy. The prestige of a college is judged by how exclusive it is, not how inclusive it is. I feel the same way about Pearl Jam. The less people that dedicate themselves to Pearl Jam's music the way I do, the more rewarding it is when I find someone else who does.

There are other chicks out there dude. When you find "her," it will be that much sweeter. Then you and her can go back to that bar and talk to each other obnoxiously loud about how much better Pearl Jam is than Bad Religion.

You know, I agree with you. Most of the time it does make me happy that I feel like i'm in an exclusive club. ITtreally does make it more interesting when you do meet someone who has a genuine respect for what PJ does. You cant just be a casual fan and fully understand them either. Glad I weeded her out of the prospective pool.
  • hahaha.

I get this all the time. Although, my wife gets it worse than me.
    Seriously, group of teachers, early thirties practically turned their noses up at us when we mentioned that we were travelling to Chicago for two shows this past summer. "You mean like Even Flow/Jeremy Pearl Jam, ugh, who knew they were still around and why?"

These are people we are friends with for years and they looked at us like we were attending a clan meeting. Then not ten minutes later they were discussing - I kid you not - since they were already going to see Rascal Flats, should they postpone their San Diego trip by two days so they can see Poison/Whitesnake at PNC bank arts center.

Some people just live in a bubble. Granted that bubble is made completely out of ignorance bad taste, but it is still a bubble.

Hahah oh wow. Quite a few of my teacher thirties/forties are very aware of pearl jam lucky for me. Hahah in fact for my Freshmen project i did my seattle history report on PJ and my teacher was all stoked about it cuz hes a fan. There are alot of older people around here aware of PJ but i guess they have to be since it was going on here when they were young. Kinda weird the old people know about pearl jam but not many teens do.
    Also I really haven't heard much from Bad Religion, only a few songs. They are kind of an old band right?
    There's not many kids at my school who are into bad religion but theres not that many who are into pearl jam either hahah.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • I am really sick of the trash talking that goes on here about Bad Religion. While Pearl Jam is my favorite band, Bad Religion is my second favorite band. They have been around longer than PJ and almost any other band. People talk about other people being close-minded toward PJ but the same thing happens when anyone mentions that they like another band more than PJ.

Bad Religion is an awesome band full of talented musicians that play music because they like it. The band is their second job. The lead singer, Greg Graffin, is a life science professor at UCLA. The other founder of the band is the CEO and co-founder of Epitaph Records, a cornerstone of punk music in the 80s and 90s. The lyrics are smart, the music is phenomenal and from what I hear, they go out of their way to help out fellow musicians.

My girlfriend's favorite band is Bad Religion. She turned me onto them just like I turned her onto Pearl Jam. If you are a true music fan, it's not a popularity contest.

Check out their music. You might be surprised. Then go back and talk to the chick.
    jimed14 wrote:

freakin' children.

Exactly.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• I am really sick of the trash talking that goes on here about Bad Religion. While Pearl Jam is my favorite band, Bad Religion is my second favorite band. They have been around longer than PJ and almost any other band. People talk about other people being close-minded toward PJ but the same thing happens when anyone mentions that they like another band more than PJ.

Bad Religion is an awesome band full of talented musicians that play music because they like it. The band is their second job. The lead singer, Greg Graffin, is a life science professor at UCLA. The other founder of the band is the CEO and co-founder of Epitaph Records, a cornerstone of punk music in the 80s and 90s. The lyrics are smart, the music is phenomenal and from what I hear, they go out of their way to help out fellow musicians.

My girlfriend's favorite band is Bad Religion. She turned me onto them just like I turned her onto Pearl Jam. If you are a true music fan, it's not a popularity contest.

Check out their music. You might be surprised. Then go back and talk to the chick.
    jimed14 wrote:

freakin' children.

Exactly.

I dont know a lot of Bad Religion, but I do like what i've heard. But I wont make any effort to talk to her anymore because of her attitude and general bitchiness whe we got into the conversation. I just dont like people who act like she did. If the tides were turned, I'd have asked her to tell me why she loved Peal Jam and what I should check out to see if I would like their more recent stuff.
  • onejourney...onejourney... Posts: 252
    edited November 2009
    I am really sick of the trash talking that goes on here about Bad Religion. While Pearl Jam is my favorite band, Bad Religion is my second favorite band. They have been around longer than PJ and almost any other band. People talk about other people being close-minded toward PJ but the same thing happens when anyone mentions that they like another band more than PJ.

jimed14 wrote:

freakin' children.

Exactly.

I thought Graffin Taught at Berkeley?
    here for the music...
  • Is this the bike that was stolen???

bestbike.jpg

No way! if that was my bike I would lock it up pee-wee herman style with a hundred chains!

sidenote: lesson learned, I will have 2-3 locks next time.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I am really sick of the trash talking that goes on here about Bad Religion. While Pearl Jam is my favorite band, Bad Religion is my second favorite band. They have been around longer than PJ and almost any other band. People talk about other people being close-minded toward PJ but the same thing happens when anyone mentions that they like another band more than PJ.

jimed14 wrote:

freakin' children.

Exactly.

why does he need to go back and talk to the chick ? He was trying to be cool and talk to her about it, SHE is the one that got pissy and said PJ sucked and BR was the shit ..... HE didn't do anything wrong here at all.
    he was open to her liking BR, she was an ASS about him liking PJ.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • TravelarTravelar Posts: 3,391
    To the OP.... maybe you should burn her a PJ mix tape. :)
    mh184572 wrote:
    Poeple generally don't go to concerts to specifically see the opening band (I am aware that it DOES happen but I think it is a small demographic.)

Unless it's Pearl Jam opening for The Stones or Tom Petty.... :) But I get what you mean. We're a small demographic, but I'm sure each band has dedicated fans such as ourselves.....
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    mh184572 wrote:

No no - a little more than that - he mentioned the Electric Factory - that holds several thousand - I've been in it.

While I'd heard of Bad Religion, it was just one of those things where I'd just never made time to check them out (kicking myself for missing them at Warped a couple years ago) - so glad they played at shows I went to - I loved them. Maybe the average PJ fan might not like them, but I'm kind of on the fringe in terms of my other musical tastes and I like electronica and punk as well as stuff like PJ (my favorite band with NIN tying for that) which is a little more mainstream rock.

So original guy, sounds like you and she just weren't mean to be - if she doesn't like PJ and you do, its probably better off this way!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    You should have mentioned it was not the first time Bad Religion has opened for them. Her head might have exploded if she knew about the '95 tour. Idiots everywhere you go, even good looking ones.