Are you woman enough to be my man? WTF?

WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
edited November 2009 in The Porch
:think: :wtf:

What the hell does this mean? reminds me of a prison joke I heard....
If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
VIC 07
EV LA1 08
Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
Columbus 10
EV LA 11
Vancouver 11
Missoula 12
Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I always just assumed it was Eddie asking someone to be there for him.
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    I always just assumed it was Eddie asking someone to be there for him.

yeah - like a father figure he never had?? that was my take anyway...but not sure if Ed solely wrote the lyrics
    Dancing in irreverence
  • wanting her to be a friend
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
    8/23/09
  • I've always felt it was a woman asking a man if he had enough compassion and emotional availability to be 'her one'. But I tend to see multiple voices, a man's voice and that of a woman, either coming in the form of a thought by the male voice or a conversation taking place in the song.

Sometimes realize, I could only be as good as you'll let me (M)
    Are you woman enough to be my man? (F)

I can see how this could be two lines in conversation with a different person speaking in each line (M or F). If you look at the lyrics and give some a female voice and some male, if makes interesting reading and could be interpretted at an interesting look at the gender/power flowing in courtship/dating and love, insecuirties and acceptance.

Is there room enough for both of us? (M)
    Both of us apart? (M)
    Are we bound out of obligation? (F)
    Is that all we've got? (F)
    Get the words, and then I get to thinkin' (M)
    I don't wanna think, I wanna feel (F)
    How do I feel? (F)
    How do I?...

If you're the only one, will I never be enough? (M)
    Hail, hail the lucky ones, I refer to those in love (M)

Swore I'd love you till the day I die, ah and beyond... (M)
    Are we going to the same place? If so, can I come? (M)
    It's egg rolling thick and heavy (F)
    All the past you carry (F)
    Oh, I could be new... you underestimate me (M)

Bandaged hand in hand

I find it on the run in a race that can't be won (F)
    All hail the lucky ones, I refer to those in love, yeah
    If you're my only one, so could you only one? (F)
    I want to be your one, enough... (M)
    Your one...your one...your one... (M)
  • every man has his female side inside him,,means u have to love that side of u,understand it it and dont hate it.. :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • every man has his female side inside him,,means u have to love that side of u,understand it it and dont hate it.. :D

i am going to take this advice! i will never again be embarrassed about wearing a bra and a lace thong under my suit!
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    This is one of those times where if you don't understand either you will someday, or you just never will
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Interesting. I queued up "No Code," and this song had just begun when I saw this thread.

Re: the meaning of the line in question, the only thing I know for sure is that my answer is yes.

Yes, Ed, I am woman enough to be your man.

Yeah, thought the same... not suitable for an american "macho", I guess ;)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?

i am going to take this advice! i will never again be embarrassed about wearing a bra and a lace thong under my suit!
    :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

:lol:

i was serious dude. now i'm confused again. :?

i was serious dude. now i'm confused again. :?
    send me a foto of u to tell u what u need..im the fixer.. ;)
  • send me a foto of u to tell u what u need..im the fixer.. ;)

sometimes i regret joking.........and this has now become one of those times. :shock:
  • I've always interpreted this line to be the woman asking the man this.......as if to ask if he has a soft side. It's an oddly worded line that's for sure. Since the rest of the songs is sung from the man's perspective, I guess the line should be "Am I woman enough to be your man?"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    I've always felt it was a woman asking a man if he had enough compassion and emotional availability to be 'her one'. But I tend to see multiple voices, a man's voice and that of a woman, either coming in the form of a thought by the male voice or a conversation taking place in the song.

I can see how this could be two lines in conversation with a different person speaking in each line (M or F). If you look at the lyrics and give some a female voice and some male, if makes interesting reading and could be interpretted at an interesting look at the gender/power flowing in courtship/dating and love, insecuirties and acceptance.

Is there room enough for both of us? (M)
    Both of us apart? (M)
    Are we bound out of obligation? (F)
    Is that all we've got? (F)
    Get the words, and then I get to thinkin' (M)
    I don't wanna think, I wanna feel (F)
    How do I feel? (F)
    How do I?...

Swore I'd love you till the day I die, ah and beyond... (M)
    Are we going to the same place? If so, can I come? (M)
    It's egg rolling thick and heavy (F)
    All the past you carry (F)
    Oh, I could be new... you underestimate me (M)

Bandaged hand in hand

I find it on the run in a race that can't be won (F)
    All hail the lucky ones, I refer to those in love, yeah
    If you're my only one, so could you only one? (F)
    I want to be your one, enough... (M)
    Your one...your one...your one... (M)

interesting take. :thumbup:

now.....what the hell does this mean?

"It's egg rolling thick and heavy"

:lol::lol::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Evel KEvel K Posts: 526
    Maybe Ed was falling asleep when this part came to him. If they want it they can have it , oh the past we carry , I could be new , you underestimate me. When he woke up that first line was just melody.
    Things were different then
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    imalive wrote:

OK, I'll take a stab at this:

This is one of those clever word games Vedder plays in many of his songs. We all know how highly he thinks of women, but the conventional belief system preaches that men are stronger. So, by saying "Are you woman enough to be my man", he covers both bases. That's one of the sexiest, strongest lines he's ever written if you ask me.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • send me a foto of u to tell u what u need..im the fixer.. ;)

sometimes i regret joking.........and this has now become one of those times. :shock:
    u have to understand others jokes too. ;) ..u get it D?
  • SOLAT319 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

OK, I'll take a stab at this:

This is one of those clever word games Vedder plays in many of his songs. We all know how highly he thinks of women, but the conventional belief system preaches that men are stronger. So, by saying "Are you woman enough to be my man", he covers both bases.

yep
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I've always interpreted this line to be the woman asking the man this.......as if to ask if he has a soft side. It's an oddly worded line that's for sure. Since the rest of the songs is sung from the man's perspective, I guess the line should be "Am I woman enough to be your man?"

not necessarily. like someone said, it could mean Ed/man asking someone to be there for him.

what I think.. is that this woman is someone the man has a romantic relationship with. the man (or the couple even) might be going through some tough times. men (and women alike) can always rely on their friends, no matter what. but it might be different with someone they're dating etc., especially if they haven't been together long. so asking someone "are you woman enough to be my man?" could just mean that the man is asking will the woman be there for him, through thick and thin.

I hope that makes sense, I'm at work and my thinking keeps getting interrupted. :evil: :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    I think I've heard the interpretation of that line before, and here's my take. "Are you woman enough to be my man," to me, means that you (the woman) are independent and an equal to me. When I first heard the song in 1996, my first reaction was "that sounds kind of gay," but later on it made more sense to me.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09