Has anyone ever adopted a raccoon?

2»

Comments

• PJaddicted wrote:
    DO NOT do it! It is illegal in most states to possess wildlife without the proper license. I have my Class 1 Wildlife Rehabilitators license in NYS. I do not have my RVS(Rabies Vector Species) license and I'm not sure I even want to get one, to get it we are required to take a 8 hour course that is offered only once a year, pass a test 80% or better,then get a series of three Rabies Vaccinations that cost $200+ each, and then have the DEC come out and inspect the caging we would be using to house the Raccoons, they must be kept away from all human contact other then the Rehabber, to protect people from disease. They carry Rabies, Distemper(which dogs can catch from them) and also Raccoon Round Worm http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites ... scaris.htm Which itself scares me more then Rabies! Raccoon Roundworm can be brought to your yard by encouraging the little guy to hang around, the eggs live more then a year in the dirt. They can be picked up by your pets.

Wild animals belong in the wild, they are never happy living in captivity. I know you feel for the little guy, but he must learn to find his own food, it is part of the process of growing up for all wild animals. If you are really concerned about him call a RVS Rehabber in your area and get some advice from them. If you need help finding one, PM me, I will see if I can.

I spent this past weekend at the NYS Wildlife Rehabbers conference and met so many wonderful people that rehab. It was amazing the work they all do just to release one animal back to it's rightful place back out in nature. I have a rehab turtle right now....I think that's what I will be sticking too, taking proper care of mammals seems so hard to do.
    Thanks for posting this. Having raccoons around is a bad idea. Leaving food for one is another bad idea. You'll only encourage him to stay. He is probably already foraging in the area for pet food and garbage.

We've had problems with them occasionally in our neighborhood. The house behind us has an abandoned shed and we'll sometimes see raccoons and feral cats going into it. One of my neighbors had raccoons living under her house at one point and had to call an exterminator. Another neighbor who was in her 80s got up one night and saw that she'd left the light on in her garage. She went out to turn it off and startled an adult raccoon, which attacked her. It bit a chunk out of her leg and scratched her badly. :shock:

The best bet is to try to find a wildlife rehabber like PJaddicted described. If there isn't something in the Yellow Pages, try calling your vet. There is a center where I live.

And for the poster who pointed out that dogs were once wild animals, that's true, but it was many millennia ago. Dogs are not wolves and vice versa. Dogs couldn't survive in the wild on their own and wolves shouldn't be pets.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • pandora wrote:
    sounds like a good idea- he'll get stronger then and hopefully go on his way
    I betcha he's real cute though

racoon.jpg
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • I get what you guys are saying but i just cant call an exterminator, who knows what theyd do to him. plus he's really chilled out and hasn't caused any harm to us or our cat, infact he seems afraid of our cat.
    I of course won't let him in the house though.
    Thanks for posting this. Having raccoons around is a bad idea. Leaving food for one is another bad idea. You'll only encourage him to stay. He is probably already foraging in the area for pet food and garbage.

We've had problems with them occasionally in our neighborhood. The house behind us has an abandoned shed and we'll sometimes see raccoons and feral cats going into it. One of my neighbors had raccoons living under her house at one point and had to call an exterminator. Another neighbor who was in her 80s got up one night and saw that she'd left the light on in her garage. She went out to turn it off and startled an adult raccoon, which attacked her. It bit a chunk out of her leg and scratched her badly. :shock:

The best bet is to try to find a wildlife rehabber like PJaddicted described. If there isn't something in the Yellow Pages, try calling your vet. There is a center where I live.

And for the poster who pointed out that dogs were once wild animals, that's true, but it was many millennia ago. Dogs are not wolves and vice versa. Dogs couldn't survive in the wild on their own and wolves shouldn't be pets.
    Shows:
  • I get what you guys are saying but i just cant call an exterminator, who knows what theyd do to him. plus he's really chilled out and hasn't caused any harm to us or our cat, infact he seems afraid of our cat.
    I of course won't let him in the house though.
    I wasn't saying to call an exterminator. That would tear me up. I'd hate to do that.

After my elderly neighbor was bitten, animal control came out and trapped the raccoon. That had to happen because of the circumstances so it could be tested for rabies. At the same time, I felt really bad because the raccoon was just being a raccoon--a nocturnal animal that had been startled so it attacked. It wasn't rabid and she didn't have to have shots but it was still very traumatic for her and just a bad situation all around.

The only other option I could suggest is to get one of those humane traps (I think they're called Hava-heart) from a feed store or rent from the humane society and catch him to be released in the wild or at a nature preserve. We have one and have used it to catch feral cats and possums that sometimes show up. We take the feral cats to the humane society and we release the possums at a nearby park that's a wildlife habitat. The trap doesn't hurt the animals. You just have to check it every day when you're using it.

BTW feral cats are not adopted. They are spayed/neutered and then released to areas where volunteers feed them. :angel:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • I just noticed the thread starter is 16 years old. I'm starting to understand now.

Look, I wish I could be 16 again too. Life's just beginning for you. You haven't experienced enough to become jaded by society yet. You probably haven't suffered through events in your life that would enable you to beat an animal to death under any circumstance. There's nothing wrong with that. It all comes in time.

Pay attention here...when you seek advice from anyone throughout your life, you need to get it from people who have gone through whatever you're asking about, and LISTEN. Don't ask a blind person how to drive a car. Don't get financial advice from someone who sells crack under a bridge in Manhattan. Don't eat food prepared by a person who likes to touch their asshole and then smell their fingers. And don't think that the little cute raccoon that makes your insides warm with its cuteness gives one shit about you or any other human. And it won't. You're not gonna ever come home one day and say "Hey Bandit!! I'm home" and then watch as he comes running into your outstretched arms.

It's a novelty thing right now. I bet you all gather around the window when it comes up and you all talk about how precious it is. You've probably already picked a name out for it.

Well, cut that shit out. Shoot that son of a bitch right now. That animal hates you and if it ever felt threatened in the slightest bit over any move you made or tone you spoke in, it would rip your face completely off and probably take a nice crap on it. Don't try to be the world's raccoon Messiah. Go be a teenager and learn how to unclasp bras and find out where the hole is. It'll be a lot safer.

True Story.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

racoon.jpg

that thing will rip your eyeballs out of your face.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855

racoon.jpg

that thing will rip your eyeballs out of your face.
    ahhh but he's really cute
    and that other post was hilarious Mr Donkey
    they are probably right- you have a tiny bro to watch out for
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I didn't tell you to call an Exterminator either, I gave you sound advice to call a licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator that is trained to handle and care for a wild raccoon that might be in trouble. I also offered to help you find one. I'm sorry I wasted my time trying to help you, help the raccoon. The best place for wildlife is in the wild-period.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • I'm sorry, but I definately am not a fan of racoons. We had a female racoon try to nest in our chimney with her babies (this is actually quite common, they like chimneys for some reason). Before she tried to settle there, she tore up half a dozen shingles. The next year, we had a pesky fellow who kept pulling up shingles looking for grubs (Craneflies lay eggs under wood shingles). It cost about $500 to repair the damage. They also killed our next door neighbor's cat.
  • yeah, this sounds like a great idea. i don't foresee any problems with adopting a raccoon. none.

good luck with everything.

haha, agreed.

oh you forgot the :arrow: so i will add it in there
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • I just noticed the thread starter is 16 years old. I'm starting to understand now.

Look, I wish I could be 16 again too. Life's just beginning for you. You haven't experienced enough to become jaded by society yet. You probably haven't suffered through events in your life that would enable you to beat an animal to death under any circumstance. There's nothing wrong with that. It all comes in time.

Pay attention here...when you seek advice from anyone throughout your life, you need to get it from people who have gone through whatever you're asking about, and LISTEN. Don't ask a blind person how to drive a car. Don't get financial advice from someone who sells crack under a bridge in Manhattan. Don't eat food prepared by a person who likes to touch their asshole and then smell their fingers. And don't think that the little cute raccoon that makes your insides warm with its cuteness gives one shit about you or any other human. And it won't. You're not gonna ever come home one day and say "Hey Bandit!! I'm home" and then watch as he comes running into your outstretched arms.

It's a novelty thing right now. I bet you all gather around the window when it comes up and you all talk about how precious it is. You've probably already picked a name out for it.

Well, cut that shit out. Shoot that son of a bitch right now. That animal hates you and if it ever felt threatened in the slightest bit over any move you made or tone you spoke in, it would rip your face completely off and probably take a nice crap on it. Don't try to be the world's raccoon Messiah. Go be a teenager and learn how to unclasp bras and find out where the hole is. It'll be a lot safer.

True Story.

Couldn't agree more... If you put yourself between a raccoon, and an open bag full of trash, it would go through you if it had to to get to it.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • my vote goes to

call a wildlife rehabber.

my friend is one and what they do is neat. they help hurt (or whatever) animals so they can be released back out into the wild.
    anybody can be a volunteer i think.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Don't get financial advice from someone who sells crack under a bridge in Manhattan.

What if said crack dealer USE to work on Wall Street?
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Don't get financial advice from someone who sells crack under a bridge in Manhattan.

That would be a judgement call. Keep us posted.
  • Don't get financial advice from someone who sells crack under a bridge in Manhattan.

hehehehehehe
    Shows:
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Don't risk it. Raccoons are illegal pets in most states. If the authorities found out you were keeping him, they would probably seize him. A domestic raccoon would have no interest living in the wild again, so he would be euthanised.

When I was a child, my neighbours kept a young raccoon. I don't know what happened to it when it grew up. Some years later, a family had their beloved pet raccoon seized and killed by Animal Control because they automatically presumed that all raccoons had rabies. (This one did not.) The family was tormented by the act, and heartbroken afterward.
    Agreed.....if it ever bites anyone, and they report it to the state....the poor little dude or dudette is put down
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    There is this really young raccoon that comes to our deck sometimes, we're thinking of adopting him? He's very chilled out and has never been violent, he seems to be starving to death.
    Thoughts/comments?
    Still have the raccoon?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    my ex step dad used to have one as a pet pre sted dad dom
    :):lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg