nice review of Perth..

ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
edited November 2009 in The Porch
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 68,00.html

THE mighty Pearl Jam consolidated their reputation as one of the world's best live acts with another fantastic performance at Members Equity Stadium last night.

On a perfect spring night, the Seattle five made a welcome return to Australia on the back of their latest album, Backspacer. The show made good on Eddie Vedder's promise at Subiaco Oval on Nov 25, 2006, to return "in a few years, yeah?".

Were you at the concert? Share your thoughts and impressions in the comments box below.

With good mates Ben Harper and Liam Finn in tow, Vedder acknowledged the Australian tour would be a lot of fun. They have already pencilled in several surfing dates around the country.

Kicking off their set with their Breakerfall from their sixth album Binaural the band played at least one song from each of their nine albums.

They headed back to 1991 for Why Go, raided Vitalogy for the brilliant Corduroy and thrilled fans with Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town from Vs.

Following Gonna See My Friend from Backspacer, Vedder greeted the 25,000 strong crowd with a customary shake of his wine bottle.

"I believe a toast is in order," he said in his booming baritone.

"We are very happy to be in Perth tonight. This is the start of our fifth Australian tour. We've always played here last, but this time we're not saving the best for last, we're starting here."

After dedicating Amongst the Waves "to all the surfers", Vedder touched on the recent Britney Spears lip-synching debacle, which sparked calls for artists to declare if they would be lip- synching during concerts.

"I have a public service announcement to make - there will be some lip-synching tonight," Vedder joked. "Not so I can dance or change outfits, it's so I can drink and smoke. I just thought I should declare that because of the new rules."

He went on to joke that Mike McCready's guitar parts were pre-recorded and that drummer Matt Cameron would use a drum machine for some songs. However, he said original members Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard were the real deal.

Jokes aside, it was Vedder's warm interaction with the crowd that was so sadly lacking at Spears's concert. Being acknowledged by a performer makes the concert experience all that more personal and Pearl Jam always ensure their fans feel appreciated.

Early highlights included the brilliant Unthought Known from Backspacer and the 1993 classic Daughter. Vedder dedicated I Am Mine to Nick Cave, whom he acknowledged as "one of the best writers in the country". After fumbling the beginning, Vedder apologised to Cave before starting again.

Throughout the show Vedder spoke of his experiences in WA. He related the story of how, when the band played Perth in 2003, they met a "7-foot tall man". That man told the band of the campaign to save Ningaloo Reef and asked if they would speak up for it. Vedder expressed the band's joy at hearing that this time round the conservations won, before dedicating The Fixer to the 7-foot man - "our good friend Mr Luc Longley".

Following a brief interlude, Vedder returned to the stage for an intimate acoustic performance of the plaintive ballad Just Breathe.

Ben Harper joined Vedder to play Red Mosquito, but regretfully did not sing. However, those who were there early enough to catch Harper's set would already have seen the pair share the stage in a brilliant performance of the Queen and David Bowie classic Under Pressure.

Following an awe-inspiring intro by keys man Boom Gaspar, the band played an incredible verison of The Who's Love Reign O'er Me. Vedder, who is a massive fan of the 60's band, looked to be in his element.

Vedder retold how he happened upon a few local bands in a small bar during his stay in Perth and admitted he was very impressed.

"All of them were unbelievable. I was blown away. Blown the f**k away. I don't know why I was suprised you have amazing musical talent here."

He even recommended that the crowd check out the bands Cat Black and The Fags.

Got Some and Do The Evolution ended the first set before the band returned for an encore.

It kicked off with Vedder and Liam Finn performing the Hunters and Collectors hit Throw Your Arms Around Me.

From there it was on in a high powered finale that had the fans belting out Given to Fly and Better Man.

"I'm lip-synching," Vedder joked as the crowd carried Better Man.

Alive kept the energy up as Vedder dashed into the cheering audience.

The floodlights were already up indicating the curfew had been reached, but never a band to take much heed to curfews, Pearl Jam finished in their own good time and their own way with Yellow Lead Better.

There were no walkouts, no lip-synching and no theatrics were needed to keep the crowd entertained. Pearl Jam do that all on their own.

And that's entertainment at its finest.
I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That review is awesome.....a bit like last night's show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no voice, am sore EVERYWHERE....even have bruised boobs from jumping up and down on the barrier so much - ears are still ringing, I could have happily died last night (after the show of course!), and not had a single regret!!!!

THANK YOU PEARL JAM_ YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!! Not much else to say - I am speechless, what a great start to the Aussie tour........................This is why I love this band......such energy and emotion and interaction.............and OMG - EDDIE WAS RIGHT THERE, when he ran through the crowd - RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Thanks for putting up the review! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Great review, cheers for posting this =D
  • That article just got me more pumped for Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • RachTRachT Posts: 10
    Fantastic review! Thanks for posting. Really hanging out for Tuesday night in Adelaide...
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Yeah happy with that review...I was in front of JEFF...well actually more between MIKE and JEFF scored a MIKE pick as well :) my ears are still 'Ringing' lol GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT! show as always.
  • great review - makes me so proud and more importantly so excited for tuesday night!!!
    Sydney 3 1998; Brisbane 1 2003; Sydney 1/2/3 2003; Brisbane 1/2 2006; Sydney 1/2/3 2006; Melbourne 1/2 2006; Adelaide 2009; EV Solo Sydney 1 2011.
  • zukszuks Posts: 1
    unfortunetaly i was expecting to be away for this gig so didn't buy any per-release tix (big mistake). things changed and the best tix available then were general admin. backspacer tix.

for "saftey reasons" this section was so far back the only way to watch the gig was on the big screens. didn't really thing the sound was that good either. (which raises the question "why doesn't perth have a decent venue for music ?"

was so much hoping this gig was going to be better than what it was. i have seen every gig PJ has played in perth and would have to say (at no fault of pearl jam) that this was the worst of all the PJ gigs i have seen.
  • LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    zuks wrote:
    unfortunetaly i was expecting to be away for this gig so didn't buy any per-release tix (big mistake). things changed and the best tix available then were general admin. backspacer tix.

for "saftey reasons" this section was so far back the only way to watch the gig was on the big screens. didn't really thing the sound was that good either. (which raises the question "why doesn't perth have a decent venue for music ?"

was so much hoping this gig was going to be better than what it was. i have seen every gig PJ has played in perth and would have to say (at no fault of pearl jam) that this was the worst of all the PJ gigs i have seen.

That doesnt surprise me. That area is not a place for a hardcore fan to be in a venue of that size... sorry you couldnt get a ticket up front :(
  • twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    Zoso wrote:
    Vedder acknowledged the Australian tour would be a lot of fun. They have already pencilled in several surfing dates around the country.

I'd be keeping my eyes open around Byron Bay following Sydney. Ben's got a place there and it's just a stone's throw from Brisbane. I'm think there could be a road trip up the coast that includes Newcastle as well.

I wish I didn't have a job. :(
  • No CoderNo Coder Posts: 1,126
    Great review and they were spot on about interaction with the crowd PJ are brilliant at it....Bring on Brisbane :mrgreen:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    I like what Ed said here - "We've always played here last, but this time we're not saving the best for last, we're starting here".... :D It would be so cool to travel to NZ and make a fantastic vacation in wonderland

Have fun down under and see you back on the east coast soon enough fellas!
    Dancing in irreverence
  • great..nice reading..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”