RipitLikePujolsRipitLikePujols Posts: 219
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Hi all,

I wanted to ask you all why you think Ed has chosen to open so many shows

with "Imagine."

This song holds such deep and profound meaning in my life, I'm REALLY

INTRIGUED on thoughts as to why it has shown up as the opener so

often after so many years......

CURIOUS AS TO EVERYONE'S THOUGHTS.... THANKS....(and thanks to Mansfield tonight for thanking the band during Betterman...can't wait to hear it...so special though to you guys who were there to see and hear it!)

-Justin
"WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    Im glad they brought this song out more, but I def didnt need it 3 of my 5 shows this tour. I think its a powerful song for them and they realize the importance of the opening song to set the tone.
    Im still waiting for Of The Girl...
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    IMHO- when they play a song they want to nail it no matter what

when they crack out the gems or rarely played songs of late they like to play it to perferction- Like leash way back, or breath way back. You'll notice most of the time when they do a resurrection this tour they played it quite a lot, like WMA, All NIght, H2i. He talked about how much they practiced Garden at MSG.

I never complain when I hear that song(h2i) ;-)
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I don't know but your right about him playing it a lot.

3 shows for me this tour and 3 H2i's.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THIS ONE LIVE.

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE SONGS THAT I TURN UP IN THE CAR!!!

Things were different then. All is different now.
    I tried to explain. Somehow.
    Things were different then. All is different now.
    I tried to explain. Somehow.
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    Maybe it's something that they worked on just for this mini-tour and will go away for a while in the future... or maybe, like No More, it has an extra dose of special significance for the band right now. Who knows. It's a great opener.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    It kinda connects to the new Black tag too. Things where different for Ed before. They belonged together. Now they didn't belong together.

Hence, Things where different then, All is different now.

I dunno, but it's definately an emotional time for Ed atm.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    bump
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Murderers wrote:
    It kinda connects to the new Black tag too. Things where different for Ed before. They belonged together. Now they didn't belong together.

Hence, Things where different then, All is different now.

I dunno, but it's definately an emotional time for Ed atm.

that is a very interesting take, i never even though to connect the two. id be interested to find out if that is really what is going on in ed's head when choosing to plan h2i so much.
  • Options
    This tune gets slighted, It was never played for years, but didn't gather steam like Leash or Breath did. I think they brought it back at Gorge a couple years ago. Anyway i think its great they have thrown it in the ring as one of their openers., Amazing frigging tune, one of my favorites
    "no more crowbars to my head"
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    This tune gets slighted, It was never played for years, but didn't gather steam like Leash or Breath did. I think they brought it back at Gorge a couple years ago. Anyway i think its great they have thrown it in the ring as one of their openers., Amazing frigging tune, one of my favorites
    Pretty special to me, as well. It's deep gorgeous and powerful. Always gives me chills. Reminds me of a time....
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    bump

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I love love love H2I but I always wondered what it's about, it's one of those songs I just don't know exactly what it's trying to say... the things were different then part is obvious but the rest is kind of up in the air.
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926

Great, great tune and awesome opener! Loved it in Camden this year :) I think they broke it out for the '05 tour a couple times. I know they opened one of the '05 shows with it.. I want to say Halifax off the top of my head. (Halifax or Hamilton... one of the H's)