parachutes..

megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
edited November 2009 in The Porch
never thought it would happen but this song just kicked my ass.
had the i-pod on shuffle..was typing a letter. didn't really notice until the song was over. had to replay it. i've been skipping this song for years. just fell in love with it
was kind of a subliminal happening. i'm happy.

that leaves like 5 songs i'm waiting on..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I always sort of liked it, but then heard it live in San Diego and now I really love it. It's a cool sounding song.
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    I always sort of liked it, but then heard it live in San Diego and now I really love it. It's a cool sounding song.
    yea it is. just never noticed. can't stop listening to it now. my favorites always take time to grow. never this long though
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    No kidding..Always kinda liked it but live in San Diego totally changed my perspective on this song, in a very good way.
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • I've always loved this song and I was a little disappointed to see that it was on Vancouver's set list and not played.
    i just checked out the san diego clip on youtube.
    pretty good stuff..ed forgetting the words "you didn't know either" pointing at a fan. love it
  • I did not pay attention to the song untill they played it at Camden II 2006 during the accustic encore. What a great song, then I had the pleasure again in Philly. Iisten to the song and soak it all in.
  • great love songs
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • how funny...I'm the same as a couple of the other posting folks. Always enjoyed the song, but it never really 'hit' me till San Diego. Now it's a big favorite. Not sure what it was about that version, but it was just perfect, mis-lyrics and all.
    6/24/95, 11/4/95, 11/7/95, 7/10/98, 7/12/98, 7/13/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/27/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/7/06. 7/9/06, 7/10/06, +++ most socal pjam shows since...
    how funny...I'm the same as a couple of the other posting folks. Always enjoyed the song, but it never really 'hit' me till San Diego. Now it's a big favorite. Not sure what it was about that version, but it was just perfect, mis-lyrics and all.

guess that's what is so great about this band. they can still win you over live. even with songs i already enjoy..like release. it's on a whole new level after seeing it live
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    yea parachutes hit me the first time i ever heard it. "why deny..." grabbed my heart strings right away.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • I have ALWAYS loved this song..."Cause when your dead, you would have had it all"..amasing!
  • *sigh* I love Stone's love songs.

"Wish the world could glow again with love."

So dreamy.
  • I understand what you're saying "Ties em off". I really don't care much for Parachutes and always skip it. I want to like, but just don't yet.

I felt this way about most of my favorites at first too though so we'll see. I'm curious though, what are your other 5 songs that have yet to grow on you?
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I love how different it is from other PJ tunes. There's nothing else like it in their discography.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    in my opinion, this song really is stones fault :o
    i am not a fan
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
    jbain15 wrote:
    I understand what you're saying "Ties em off". I really don't care much for Parachutes and always skip it. I want to like, but just don't yet.

I felt this way about most of my favorites at first too though so we'll see. I'm curious though, what are your other 5 songs that have yet to grow on you?

alright let me think.

big wave..don't think it will happen
    evacuation. it's close
    then the songs like sweet lew, black red yellow and whale song. although jeff killed sweet lew in philly. still don't care for it though
    think that's it.
  • Back_Pedal wrote:
    I love how different it is from other PJ tunes. There's nothing else like it in their discography.

That is exactly what I thought the first time I heard it. :D
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,278
    i think it is a great song!
    danny d
  • twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    never thought it would happen but this song just kicked my ass.
    had the i-pod on shuffle..was typing a letter. didn't really notice until the song was over. had to replay it. i've been skipping this song for years. just fell in love with it
    was kind of a subliminal happening. i'm happy.

that leaves like 5 songs i'm waiting on..

I had this same experience, but with the whole Avocado album. I used to think it sucked, but one day it just blew my mind. The great thing was that it was like getting a brand new Pearl Jam album when there was no album being released.
  • CraneCrane Posts: 192
    Yea never liked it till I saw it in Paris 06. Quality song!
    "The mind is a wonderfull thing to be altered"

The Point, Dublin 2006
    Bercy, Paris September 11, 2006
    ISS Dome, Dusseldorf, 2007
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I've always been a fan.

Great tune!
  • I am going to be honest, I never really like it that much until i heard it live @ the Spectrum, it is a good song, i am hooked now as well :)
    9/28/2004 Boston, Mass
    5/12/2006 Albany, NY
    6/01/2006 E Rutherford, NJ
    6/24/2008, NYC MSG, NY
    6/25/2008, NYC MSG, NY
    10/27/2009 Philli, PA Spectrum 1
    5/21/2010 NYC MSG 2, NY
    10/25/13 Hartford, Ct
  • jbain15 wrote:
    I understand what you're saying "Ties em off". I really don't care much for Parachutes and always skip it. I want to like, but just don't yet.

alright let me think.

big wave..don't think it will happen
    evacuation. it's close
    then the songs like sweet lew, black red yellow and whale song. although jeff killed sweet lew in philly. still don't care for it though
    think that's it.

5 songs that I like, but not as much as it seems I should:
    Marker in the Sand
    Grievance
    Johnny Guitar
    Present Tense
    Long Road
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Its a great song. It took me a long while before I could sing to it properly. Not an easy song to sing if you're into singing. But then again you're talking Ed V here!
    rustedsigns
    nowhereman wrote:
    Its a great song. It took me a long while before I could sing to it properly. Not an easy song to sing if you're into singing. But then again you're talking Ed V here!

I am not good at singing. but...
    I understand how this can be difficult

I've tried :D
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread, but I LOVE the last 2 lines of that song:

And love,.... What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you

Beautiful.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Hearing at the bridge school in 06 was one of the highlights of the two sets they played there for me
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Awesome song. So much so my wife and I used it as our 1st dance at our wedding last November. Just as it started playing a friend of mine yells out, "GREAT SONG, great song!" Awseome.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,484
    I've always hated Parachutes, I tried to like it for so long but I always ended up skipping it. I always thought of it as one of my all time bottom 5 PJ songs.

BUT...

I was walking around a supermarket last week and found myself absent-mindedly humming a tune to myself. I couldn't figure out what it was or where I'd heard it. I only realised later that it was Parachutes! It's taken 3 years but I've finally managed to listen to Avocado in full again without skipping it.

Result! :D
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush wrote:
    BUT
    Result! :D
    :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”