help with a PJ story from a few years ago ?

the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I remember reading a great piece about the boys, or maybe just Ed.
I thought I had it saved, but I guess not.

The part that is standing out to me is where Ed says he was talking to another "rock star'' ( dont remember who it was ) about seeing people in his family at a memoril service, and how he had to put things behind him, I guess to be able to go maybe?

ring a bell ?

If so and you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. That story ( from what I remember ) sorta fits with where I am with some family issues right now, and I would really like to read it again.

Thanks.
Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
to not question your government is unpatriotic."
-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it was johnny ramone and his memorial. he wrote life wasted supposedly thereafter.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    No, this was about Ed having to let go of some of the shit that happened in his family so he could be in the same room with members of his family for the memorial service.

In the interview he told a story about talking to some other musician who had given him some advice about letting shit go.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    never mind. a friend hooked me up. it was Bruce that gave him the advice while sitting on a roof somewhere. and it may have been a wedding and not a memorial service. ;)
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • brainofebrainofe Posts: 263
    I think you're talking about the RS article from when Avocado was released. It had Ed on the cover. In the article he says he had a conversation with Bruce Springsteen about his feelings towards his step-father. Something about having to see him at his brother's wedding I think.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    This one? From RS 06/06?

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/covers ... ing/page/4

But it was yet another of Vedder's famous friends who would help him resolve the central drama of his life. Vedder's mother was in the middle of a painful divorce from Mueller when she told Eddie, then seventeen, the truth about his parentage. Vedder and Mueller were already at odds -- at one point, he has alleged, his stepfather pushed him down a flight of stairs. (Mueller has denied it.) As a kid, Vedder tells me, he used to cope with his pain over that relationship by going to a park with his guitar and singing a song by one of his heroes, Bruce Springsteen -- "Independence Day," the tale of a father and son parting ways: "There was just no way this house could hold the two of us." On 2004's Vote for Change Tour, Vedder finally became close with Springsteen.

One night, Vedder and Springsteen -- who famously worked out his own father issues in his music -- stood on a Manhattan rooftop, drinking tequila. "We were talking politics, and then got into family politics, of which we'd experienced a great deal and had a lot in common. It was a pretty intense conversation," Vedder says, haltingly. "He exposed me to some truths that he'd processed in a healthy way, that for me were still in a diseaselike state. He helped me cure some things I had been living with for a long time."

That night, Vedder told Springsteen how he used to play "Independence Day" and how his music had affected him. "You helped me as a voice coming from a piece of vinyl," he told him. "Now you helped to put it away by being a human being in front of me."

Not long after the conversation with Springsteen, Vedder attended the wedding of one of his brothers. There, he came face to face with his stepfather for the first time since the Eighties. "When I finally had to meet that guy again, Bruce was the one who got me in the right space to handle it," he says. "I have three younger brothers -- if it affected them that I didn't have a relationship with this guy, that was enough reason to forgive and resolve things. I didn't want them to be torn between the two of us."

EDIT: you guys are too fast.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    Thats it ! Thanks to all for the help. It was starting to make me crazy. I was starting to think I imagined the whole thing !! :? :lol:
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel