Writing a paper about a Pearl Jam song

2»

Comments

• Writing papers will really get you prepared for the real word....
    enjoy a life of shitty/non employment.

What a stupid comment. This just shows your ignorance. And I rarely flame anyone.

Encouraging deeper thinking and an understanding of issues deeper than the literal or practical is what drives innovation, lateral thinking and understanding. It is what allows us to grow and experience different perspectives and ways of thinking and doing. I'd much rather employ someone who has had to think deeply and widely than someone who disses education.

And for the record, I've never been unemployed.

I guess it depends on the level of education that this class is being written for. In my experience, papers like this tended to to the ones that I got the least out of, they were extremely easy to BS and in the end weren't very relevent to my field of study. Topics like this always seemed like busy work.

I guess I was just overreacting, this just reminded me a lot of some classes which friends of mine have made a habit of taking at their respective schools. They earned degrees, but had very little to show for it afterwards.

I think papers are what you make of them. You can BS any topic and get a pass, and yep, I agree, you can treat them as busy work - and poor teachers often do. It used to shit me to tears to work my arse off on an essay for not reason, but that was when it was up to me to find a way to help that task continue my growth. This is why in one of my previous posts I thought it was superficial to mearly compare/contrast two similar sounding songs, going deeper into the lyrics and motivations, persuasive techniques, intertexualtiy etc is what earns you the distinction and makes it a valuable learning experience - no matter what the topic.

I do take you point however that some degrees do tend to leave you with little to show for your three or four years if you don't then take that education and turn it into something productive - and that all the education doesn't make you flip a burger any better. But I also believe that not everything learnt or attempted at school should be vocational, we need to grow the human being and well as the employee. School need to be places where compassion, understanding, philosophy and tolerance is promoted through learning, as well as vocationally orientated tasks.

Peace :)