Ed's "Dream" from Cleveland 06

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
edited November 2009 in The Porch
anyone at this show or heard the boot? it came up in a debate over the efficacy of ed's political activism in the moving train and this was my closing argument that he's not always the most coherent political speaker after a few bottles of wine onstage :)

does anyone know if there's a transcript of it? it's a riot... even the band was laughing their asses off and looking at each other like "what the hell is he talking about?" it's some nonsense about a dream where the moon explodes and it all represents democracy... worst political speech ever, best stoner speech ever :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Don't know it, but here's what Two Feet Thick have to say:

"After “Fuckin’ Up”, Ed tells the crowd about a dream he had where the moon exploded and “crumbled and disappeared into nothing”, creating a world of chaos with the absence of the tides”. He continues that he thinks maybe the moon in his dream could be like “democracy”, and “it looks like it’s full right now, but if we don’t start paying attention … and looking at it thinking it’s beautiful, it’s just gonna disappear like this on us if we don’t participate, and you would know better here in Ohio – the deciding vote” (the vote tally in the state of Ohio decided the winner in the 2004 Presidential election)."

Sounds like he was pretty loaded!
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    like you say best stoner speech

I think it's pretty good either way. it's got to be tough to be at a rock concert and start expressing your political views (other than in a song).

soulsing..cool avatar. i've seen alot of different ones here, that's a scene from the maltesse falcon, one of my favorite bogart movies.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    amethgr8 wrote:
    like you say best stoner speech

I think it's pretty good either way. it's got to be tough to be at a rock concert and start expressing your political views (other than in a song).

soulsing..cool avatar. i've seen alot of different ones here, that's a scene from the maltesse falcon, one of my favorite bogart movies.

bogey's my hero ;) and that's one of my fav novels. casablanca is still the best movie ever.
    Don't know it, but here's what Two Feet Thick have to say:

"After “Fuckin’ Up”, Ed tells the crowd about a dream he had where the moon exploded and “crumbled and disappeared into nothing”, creating a world of chaos with the absence of the tides”. He continues that he thinks maybe the moon in his dream could be like “democracy”, and “it looks like it’s full right now, but if we don’t start paying attention … and looking at it thinking it’s beautiful, it’s just gonna disappear like this on us if we don’t participate, and you would know better here in Ohio – the deciding vote” (the vote tally in the state of Ohio decided the winner in the 2004 Presidential election)."

Sounds like he was pretty loaded!

aye, that's the one. i've heard some strained analogies in my day, but that one... ;)
  • I was at that show....and was totally blown away from his "dream." Just a little tooo far out there for mee to get at that moment in time, but it was a pretty cool moment.
    I miss you alreddie.
    BeeGirl86 wrote:
    I was at that show....and was totally blown away from his "dream." Just a little tooo far out there for mee to get at that moment in time, but it was a pretty cool moment.

i think with a certain herbal infusion i may have been very moved by it myself ;)

i think this video has it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX3ltivA ... L&index=22
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    One of my favourite boots, and I love that speech - cracks me up every time. :lol:

Here's a rough transcript:

"There's a lot going on in the world and hopefully we'll all be here to make friends again and uh... Tell you what, can I tell you a quick dream I had last night? Just a quick dream. I dreamt that I was in an outdoor cafe with my family and it was a full moon, and uh... We're having a late dinner, everything was fine, there was a lot of people out on the street, and uh... All of the sudden the moon started... Sparks started shooting off the moon, and uh... And a few people caught notice and then we all looked up and these sparks shot off the moon and then they stopped. Everyone kinda looked up and right after that, the moon just disintegrated like a... It just disappeared. And it was dead silent, like no one could speak. You know, no one could speak, we couldn't believe what we just saw, that the moon just absolutely just crumbled, disappeared into nothing. And the, obviously, without the moon, the tides and the earth, that whole thing - the next thing you know there was a power... The next thing you know it was like world chaos. And I'm running with my family though the streets of some unknown city in a blackout - 'cause it all blacked out - you know... I'm just worried that this might be like, the moon maybe is democracy, and we think it's glowing, we think it's there, but it's just gonna disappear like that! It looks like it's full right now, but if we don't like start paying attention, and if we're just having dinner, looking at it, thinking it's beautiful, it's just gonna disappear like this on us, if we don't kinda participate, and you would know better, here in Ohio, the deciding vote... So we love you, we want you to love each other, and uh... Until next time!"
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • :mrgreen:
    good read.

i love ed's stream of consciousness speeches.... 8-)
    ed CAN be very eloquent, and very powerful. obviously, we KNOW he has an amazing talent with language and ideas. however, sure...sometimes...even just the uhs and the you knows....get in the way of the ideas. thus why he is such a brilliant songwriter, not always such a brilliant speaker. he's got a brilliant mind and voice tho none the less...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

he's got a brilliant mind and voice tho none the less...
    Amen that.
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• another tidbit of 'deepness' from ed. :)
    thanks for posting.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    that is great ! I must get this bootleg tonight when I get home :D
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • another tidbit of 'deepness' from ed. :)
    thanks for posting.

deepness = drunkeness? ;)
    i kid, i kid!
    :mrgreen:

however, it's got to be great to be a rock star...not the least of which, being able to afford to get at least at wee bit tipsy every night on tour on 1-2 or more $45+ bottles of wine!
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• hehehehe!

i think he may have made all that up.
    still it's pretty deep to me.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• I was there too. Yeah, I think he made it up too but you never really know I guess. The whole time I was thinking "wow, this would be a really fucked up dream to have and what if it could actually happen...the moon exploding, the chaos that would ensue"
    "So much it dont show"
    the wolf wrote:

it's actually a stellar show... they open with betterman, play a killer version of immortality, daughter with it's ok, black with we belong together... it's worth hearing. then there's ed's revelation that those smokes he has aren't always tobacco ;)
  • the wolf wrote:

it's actually a stellar show... they open with betterman, play a killer version of immortality, daughter with it's ok, black with we belong together... it's worth hearing. then there's ed's revelation that those smokes he has aren't always tobacco ;)

agreed...it was an awesome show to be at : ) It was the first time I saw Daughter with It's Ok...amazzing. and Ed was definitely getting deeep that night. It made me hate Cleveland a little less, hahaha jusst joking
    I miss you alreddie.
    BeeGirl86 wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

agreed...it was an awesome show to be at : ) It was the first time I saw Daughter with It's Ok...amazzing. and Ed was definitely getting deeep that night. It made me hate Cleveland a little less, hahaha jusst joking

it's kind of a shit hole, but the band always seems to play kick ass shows here... the 03 show was a hidden gem from that tour too. possibly the best versions of present tense and alive ever.
  • the wolf wrote:

It's a great boot. Just downloaded it a few months back and have listened to it a lot. The daughter w. the its ok tag is great. Ed's speech at the end is fucking nuts....pretty weird too when he was rambling on like that right before the last song.
    the wolf wrote:

Don't forget Smile!
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• BeeGirl86 wrote:
    I was at that show....and was totally blown away from his "dream." Just a little tooo far out there for mee to get at that moment in time, but it was a pretty cool moment.

i think with a certain herbal infusion i may have been very moved by it myself ;)

i think this video has it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX3ltivA ... L&index=22

I think this is a video of Ed's out-of-body experience. He's looking at this train-wreck from the top of the arena and thinking. "Oh God! Would you listen to yourself?! Just... stop...talking..." :oops:
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2