I love Binaural

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I think this has to be in my top 3 albums.
First time I heard it I wasn't impressed but it grew on me with each listen.
It is a sold album start to finish and flows nicely.
It puts you in another world, the album cover suits the sound of the album.
Their best album of this decade IMO.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,926
    I still refer to it as "the new Pearl Jam album"! :lol:

Rival and Parting Ways are two of just many, many highlights.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    :)

Welcome to the club!
  • You are absolutely right! It's a fucking ripper! :D
    Where's your head @ ?
  • It has grown on me over time. It has some of Pearl Jam's very best work (Of the Girl, Insignificance, Greivance, Parting ways, Slieght and Rival). Unfortunately for me (my opinion - don't kill me) it also has some songs that I found to be weak (Light Years, Thin Air, Evacuation).
  • started listening to it about 3 months ago again , supurb record its like having a new record to listen to . its taken about 9 years to feel like this but it was worth the wait . :):):)
    Wembly Arena-oct 28-1996 . MEN-june 04-2000 . MSG-july 08-2003 . MSG-july 09-2003 . GM Place-sep 02-2005 . Pengrowth Saddledome-sep 05-2005 . Astoria-april 20-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 15-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 16-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 18-2006 . Gorge Amphitheatre-july 22-2006 . Gorge Amphitheatre-july 23-2006 . Leeds Festival-aug 25-2006 . Wembley Arena-june 18-2007 . Forum Copenhagen-june 26-2007 . Verizon Amphitheatre-june 17-2008 . MSG-june 24-2008 . MSG-june 25-2008 . Sheperds Bush Empire-aug 11-2009 . MEN-aug 17-2009 . O2 arena-aug 18-2009 . United Centre-aug 23-2009 . United Centre-aug 24-2009 . MSG-may 20-2010 . MSG-may 21-2010 . Hyde Park-june 25-2010 . Air Canada Centre-sep 11-2011 . Air Canada Centre-sep 12-2011
  • I think this has to be in my top 3 albums.
    First time I heard it I wasn't impressed but it grew on me with each listen.
    It is a sold album start to finish and flows nicely.
    It puts you in another world, the album cover suits the sound of the album.
    Their best album of this decade IMO.

like Brisk said...welcome to the club my friend...Binaural is in a 3 way tie with No Code & Yield for me....a trio of music bliss!! def the most underated album in the PJ catalog!
  • It has grown on me over time. It has some of Pearl Jam's very best work (Of the Girl, Insignificance, Greivance, Parting ways, Slieght and Rival). Unfortunately for me (my opinion - don't kill me) it also has some songs that I found to be weak (Light Years, Thin Air, Evacuation).

Well I whole heartidly disagree with your opinion. Thin Air and Light Years kick ass. Gems of the record.

Never understood the Thin Air hate.
  • I've been listening to Binaural and Riot Act a lot lately - they are great to work out to - can really work over the boxing bags with them on the ipod.

I've always loved these albums, I really don't see why they are put down so much. Binaural has been one of my favourite albums from any band.
  • Binaural was my favourite after i finally "got it". I like Riot act more though

I love binaural and riot act. The two most under-appeciated albums... ;)
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • I love it more every time I listen to it. Rival is my obsession this week.
  • StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    I didn't like the mix alot at first so I didn't listen to it very much, but since backspacer came out, I gave all albums a good listen.....and guess what, I finally got it....

Binaural kicks ass !!!!

Not a weak moment on the whole album, but my faves are

Breakerfall
    Gods' Dice
    Evacuation
    Light Years
    Thin Air
    Grievance
    Rival
    Sleight of Hand
    Soon Forget
    Parting Ways

The three song intro is the best, it just blows my mind nowadays :D
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 472
    edited November 2009
    I think Binaural started out as being a really "out-there" record. It would have been far more experimental but the band, for whatever reason, decided to steer it into a less obscure place. This was carried over to the mixing portion of the album; which is why O'Brien did a bunch of them. The original tracklisting reflects the division between sonically atmospheric-exploratory music, and the need to establish pearl jam as "still" a rock band.
    Breakherfall
    Insignificance
    Evacuation
    Letter To The Dead
    Rival
    Grievance
    Light Years
    Of The Girl
    Thin Air
    Nothing As It Seems
    Fatal
    Sleight Of Hand
    Soon Forget
    In The Moonlight
    Parting Ways
    Education
    It also explains why Education and In the Moonlight (possibly others?) got an added kick from their original ‘rough mix’ recordings. On the whole, Binaural still turned out rather weird and I think that's great. It proves for songs such as Sleight of Hand, that the studio, itself, can be used as a creative device instead of always going for a live sound. That said, others like Grievance and Sad, sound muffled and held back. These ones needed that live immediacy to realize their potential, as the bootlegs can attest. I think the band suggested headphones as the ideal way to experience the album because they were aware of, not only representing the better characteristics, but also side-stepping its shortcomings. Half the songs stand as some of their best compositions, while others serve the album well. Whatever writer’s block Eddie encountered, it led to some real lyrical breakthroughs. The music challenged listeners, and lost some of them along the way. People tend to sight No Code as the “experimental” pearl jam album. While it certainly opened up a lot of doors, No Code was more about exploring their roots. Rather, I think Binaural is the one that most defies the parameters of any musical territory they’ve occupied before or since. It also benefits by being played during a thunderstorm.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Things I Like- Light Years live outro, Parting Ways live, Insignificance
    Things I Don't- NAIS (zzzzzzzzz), Greivance (Blah Blah Blah Blah to the flag), Evacuation (bad Chorus)
  • join the club as Brisk said.. :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I love that album as well! it's also in my top 3 along with the new one which i think is unbelievable. I'm just having trouble deciding on #3. so I guess binaural and backspacer are my two favorites LOL
    "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Ben Franklin
  • I think Binaural started out as being a really "out-there" record. It would have been far more experimental but the band, for whatever reason, decided to steer it into a less obscure piece. This was carried over to the mixing portion of the album; which is why O'Brien did a bunch of them. The original tracklisting reflects the division between sonically atmospheric and exploratory music, countered with the need to establish pearl jam as still a rock band.
    It also explains why Education and In the Moonlight (possibly others?) got an added kick from their original ‘rough mix’ recordings. On the whole, I think Binaural still turned out rather weird and I think that's great. It proves for songs such as Sleight of Hand, that the studio, itself, can be used as a creative device instead of always going for a live sound. That said, others like Grievance and Sad, sound muffled and held back. These ones needed that live immediacy to realize their potential, as the bootlegs can contest. I think the band suggested headphones as the ideal way to experience the album because they were aware of, not only representing the better characteristics, but also side-stepping its shortcomings. Half the songs stand as some of their best compositions, while others serve the album well. Whatever writer’s block Eddie encountered, it led to some real lyrical breakthroughs. The music challenged listeners, and lost some of them along the way. People tend to sight No Code as the “experimental” pearl jam album. While it certainly opened up a lot of doors, No Code was more about exploring their roots. Rather, I think Binaural is the one that most defies the parameters of any musical territory they’ve occupied before or since. It also benefits by being played during a thunderstorm.

^^^^^^^^^^^ best analysis ive ever read. really explains what the band were trying to do here. What if they did an Alice in chains and released a rock record with a softer introspective EP accompianing it???
    that would have been super cool.

example
    LP:
    Breakerfall
    Insignificance
    Light Years
    Gods Dice
    Sad
    Evacuation
    Education
    Grievance
    Rival
    In The Moonlight
    Parting Ways

EP:
    Of The Girl
    Thin Air
    Nothing As It Seems
    Fatal
    Sleight Of Hand
    Soon Forget

The LP would have a completely different production to the EP. The EP needs the atmospheric binaural sound. The LP needs a more straight forward rock sound..
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    Two days ago, I listened to it from start to finish for the first time in YEARS . . . . funny that this thread came up!

Defo some amazing songs that I haven't heard in a while.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I completely agree...great album that I would rank as PJ's 4th best.

Dan
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • If you're on FB join my group for Binaural lovers

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=app ... 608&ref=mf

im on board ;)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

im on board ;)

i knew you would be my friend! :mrgreen:

im on board ;)

i knew you would be my friend! :mrgreen:
    i love u too Charles Barckley ;)
  • i love u too Charles Barckley ;)

love ya too my Greek Binaural brother! ;)
  • LDBLDB Posts: 41
    I am also so glad this thread started. I have been listening to Binaural solid for 2 days. It is amazing and I am amazed at all of us who post with the same obsssion. I wish we could all get together and listen to it . A great big Pearl Jam party once a week with differnt albums as the theme. This album is cathartic.

Behind her eyes there's curtains...
    And they've been closed to hide the flames,... remains...
  • Dan CDan C Posts: 206
    Flac'd Vinyl Binaural through good quality headphones.....

It will blow your mind ;)
    PJ Sydney 1998-03-09, 2003-02-11, 2003-02-14, 2006-11-07, 2006-11-08, 2006-11-18, 2009-11-22, 2014-01-26
    EV Sydney 2011-03-18, 2011-03-19, 2014-02-11, 2014-02-13
  • reading this thread just prompted me to listen to binaural all the way through for the first time in a while. It's always been my 2nd favorite PJ album, after Yield, but I forgot just how amazing it is. And sleight of hand is still one of the most poignant and powerful songs I've ever heard. Talk about an anthem for the every-man, if that doesn't sum up the fear of a "typical" life in our society perfectly, I don't know what does. Still gives you hope, though
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."

I'm there. :D
  • Joined the FB group!
    Sleight of hand is good to listen to driving to work and back home.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014