PJ Therapy

MR37543MR37543 Posts: 46
edited November 2009 in The Porch
wow, I haven't publicly bared my soul in a while but sometimes, you just need the online therapy. ;)

My dad died on November 11 when I was ten, almost three months after Ten was released. I clung to that album like a security blanket - its anger, softness and pain. "Release" was well, to my ten year old heart, about me. It seems like every other song they write could be about my dad - "Off He Goes," "Light Years," "Just Breathe."

I'm grateful for Pearl Jam everyday, but I'm always grateful on November 11 because that's when I knew they had changed my life forever.

Positive happy vibes to all!

xo
"I know that I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine. I am mine."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    Im the same there. I was not 10 when my Dad died but I was 10 when Ten came out. I have loved that album and this band for a long time, they got me through the pain of losing him. I think PJ fans are tougher than most. We have an extra backbone :-) as sung by Eddie and the gang
  • philthehip wrote:
    Im the same there. I was not 10 when my Dad died but I was 10 when Ten came out. I have loved that album and this band for a long time, they got me through the pain of losing him. I think PJ fans are tougher than most. We have an extra backbone :-) as sung by Eddie and the gang

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. We do have an extra backbone that's for sure! On a side note, I've often wondered how many PJ fans were 10 when Ten came out. Plenty I'm sure.
    "I know that I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine. I am mine."
    MR37543 wrote:
    philthehip wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. We do have an extra backbone that's for sure! On a side note, I've often wondered how many PJ fans were 10 when Ten came out. Plenty I'm sure.

Well as Im the only PJ fan I know (how sad is that) 100% were 10 when it came out. We are a good age :-)
    He was a magical guy. Greatly missed but never really gone. They live on in us their chrildren
  • philthehip wrote:
    He was a magical guy. Greatly missed but never really gone. They live on in us their chrildren

"Like You Somehow"
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
    philthehip wrote:

"Like You Somehow"

:)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    this post brought tears to my eyes. Losing a parent when you're that young has got to be that much more difficult.
    this post brought tears to my eyes. Losing a parent when you're that young has got to be that much more difficult.

The OP was very young, I was 19 so was able to process it as an adult, I cant imagine how hard it would be for a child. And now Im getting teary so gotta talk about something else lol.

Just listened to the UK boots, SBE, MEN then O2. Awsome, Cant wait for the next chapter :D
  • philthehip wrote:
    philthehip wrote:

"Like You Somehow"

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    sticking to the thread title
    and not so much the subject matter about losing someone close to you,
    ( condolences to everyone )

but PJ is theraputic for me in that I often listen while I am sitting in the chair for dialysis,

i have a few boots downloaded onto my laptop so i just open them up and away we go for a few hours while im treating my body for the neccesary 3 and a half hours a day in the chair.

They let the time go by quickly and relaxes me at the same time.

Thanks PJ .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    edited November 2009
    I lost my mom when I was 5 in 1987 and when I finally came into my own musically, it was with Pearl Jam. As a 10 year old I always associated Black with my mom. Especially the end:

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
    I hope you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky
    But why, why, why, can't it be
    Can't it be mine?

Music is all about how we interperet it. It doesn't have to be about a certain something. But if we take it that way and it gives meaning, comfort or whatever, then that is all that matters.
    Post edited by youngster on
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    I really do love this site and its people. I hope the band have pride outside of the music for such a kind, caring and genorous community that lets face it, without them would notr be here
  • philthehip wrote:

The OP was very young, I was 19 so was able to process it as an adult, I cant imagine how hard it would be for a child. And now Im getting teary so gotta talk about something else lol.

Just listened to the UK boots, SBE, MEN then O2. Awsome, Cant wait for the next chapter :D

Yeah, it's been 18 years, some Novembers are better than others. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make anyone teary! I think the difficulty in losing a parent so young is that as an adult you know what grief means and can prepare (somewhat) for your loss. Concepts like grief don't come easy to young children. That said, no age is a good age to lose anyone you love. It's difficult no matter who you are.
    MR37543 wrote:
    philthehip wrote:

Yeah, it's been 18 years, some Novembers are better than others. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make anyone teary! I think the difficulty in losing a parent so young is that as an adult you know what grief means and can prepare (somewhat) for your loss. Concepts like grief don't come easy to young children. That said, no age is a good age to lose anyone you love. It's difficult no matter who you are.

Dont be sorry, I have not cried for him in a long while now. The 2 empty wine bottles are helping too :lol:
  • Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    MR37543 wrote:
    wow, I haven't publicly bared my soul in a while but sometimes, you just need the online therapy. ;)

My dad died on November 11 when I was ten, almost three months after Ten was released. I clung to that album like a security blanket - its anger, softness and pain. "Release" was well, to my ten year old heart, about me. It seems like every other song they write could be about my dad - "Off He Goes," "Light Years," "Just Breathe."

I'm grateful for Pearl Jam everyday, but I'm always grateful on November 11 because that's when I knew they had changed my life forever.

xo

Sorry to hear about your loss...
    I lost my dad when I was 26 which makes it easier to deal with compared to being a ten year old.

Pearl Jam have always enlightened me since I really got into them in ´94.
    They are truly an amazing band....

Thanks for sharing!
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    sticking to the thread title
    and not so much the subject matter about losing someone close to you,
    ( condolences to everyone )

but PJ is theraputic for me in that I often listen while I am sitting in the chair for dialysis,

i have a few boots downloaded onto my laptop so i just open them up and away we go for a few hours while im treating my body for the neccesary 3 and a half hours a day in the chair.

They let the time go by quickly and relaxes me at the same time.

Thanks PJ .

The healing power of music is wonderful. No doubt you're improving because your mind and heart are comforted. I'll keep you in my daily thoughts.
  • I lost my mom when I was 5 in 1987 and when I finally came into my own musically, it was with Pearl Jam. As a 10 year old I always associated Black with my mom. Especially the end:

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
    I hope you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky
    But why, why, why, can't it be
    Can't it be mine?

Music is all about how we interperet it. It doesn't have to be about a certain something. But if we take it that way and it gives meaning, comfort or whatever, then that is all that matters.

I'm so sorry about your mom. Thank you for sharing, much appreciated.
  • MR37543 wrote:

xo

Positive and happy vibes back! *hugs*

I can not even go here...Pearl Jam has been so much more than therapy for me. They have been the soundtrack to my life, every single defining moment. They have been my constant companion for 18 years. They have the ability to tap into the mysterious, deep well of my emotions and they have lyrically helped me out of some very dark places and have helped me fight to get me back again.
    Evergreen wrote:
    MR37543 wrote:

xo

Positive and happy vibes back! *hugs*

I can not even go here...Pearl Jam has been so much more than therapy for me. They have been the soundtrack to my life, every single defining moment. They have been my constant companion for 18 years. They have the ability to tap into the mysterious, deep well of my emotions and they have lyrically helped me out of some very dark places and have helped me fight to get me back again.

I really need to put some different music on, I have listened to PJ all day :D
    I dont know why I quoted you in there :lol:
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    I admire you for being positive today! Im so sorry for your loss, regardless of how long ago it was. PJ has been a blessing to many of us, glad they are the same for you. I consider people who share on the porch to be friends, so you'll be in my thoughts today ;)
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • philthehip wrote:
    I dont know why I quoted you in there :lol:

Because I really probably DO need to put some other music on!

:lol:
  • Gmoney wrote:
    I admire you for being positive today! Im so sorry for your loss, regardless of how long ago it was. PJ has been a blessing to many of us, glad they are the same for you. I consider people who share on the porch to be friends, so you'll be in my thoughts today ;)

Thank you, much appreciated.

(PS - I've been listening to PJ all day too!)

dont give me no lip. Awsome. The next door neighbours, infact the people in the next street might complain :D
  • my dad died in late august with bone cancer, got tickets to 10/31 philly before he passed, 10/31 is dads birthday and he told me to take my son and have a blast we could sing happy birthday on sunday. he didn't make it to his birthday. went to the show heavy heart, met some great people at the ten club pre-party gave to charity met some more great people tailgating.got offered tickets next to the stage by a stranger who i now love. got to see eddie sing the song that punched me in the gut .... the end "its my fault,now i've been caught a sickness in my bones". dad would have loved to see the grins on my son and i all night especially in an arena that he used to take me to see the flyers. to all who have lost a loved one god bless.
    smoke20 wrote:
    my dad died in late august with bone cancer, got tickets to 10/31 philly before he passed, 10/31 is dads birthday and he told me to take my son and have a blast we could sing happy birthday on sunday. he didn't make it to his birthday. went to the show heavy heart, met some great people at the ten club pre-party gave to charity met some more great people tailgating.got offered tickets next to the stage by a stranger who i now love. got to see eddie sing the song that punched me in the gut .... the end "its my fault,now i've been caught a sickness in my bones". dad would have loved to see the grins on my son and i all night especially in an arena that he used to take me to see the flyers. to all who have lost a loved one god bless.

It was the 10th anniversary of my dads death the night of Manchester. I celebrated him so much that night.

We are all with you Smoke, the support of many thoughts is there for you and your family.

Love to ya man
  • smoke20 wrote:
    my dad died in late august with bone cancer, got tickets to 10/31 philly before he passed, 10/31 is dads birthday and he told me to take my son and have a blast we could sing happy birthday on sunday. he didn't make it to his birthday. went to the show heavy heart, met some great people at the ten club pre-party gave to charity met some more great people tailgating.got offered tickets next to the stage by a stranger who i now love. got to see eddie sing the song that punched me in the gut .... the end "its my fault,now i've been caught a sickness in my bones". dad would have loved to see the grins on my son and i all night especially in an arena that he used to take me to see the flyers. to all who have lost a loved one god bless.

Big hugs. My thoughts are with you and yours. I'm glad that you were able to take your son to the show and to experience it with him.