Letter I just sent to Ten Club -- Orange Vinyl Problems

lukinrepriselukinreprise Posts: 125
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Well, I just sent an email to the Ten Club talking about this guy in Oklahoma City, who is half owner of Guestroom Records. This guy (I've edited the name out of this post) got an orange fixer vinyl, and instead of.. well, you guys read the e-mail. I figure, if I cause enough fuss about this situation, something will eventually be done. If you guys can do anything, or think of anything for me to do, please let me know. I want this situation taken care of, and I don't want this guy to see a single penny.
Hello Ten Club, I have a problem.

Today I went into GUESTROOM RECORDS on 36th and WESTERN in OKLAHOMA CITY to see if they had any Pearl Jam cds or merch i haven't had the chance to pick up yet. I asked the man there whose name is taken out if they had anything. After he looked through some records and stuff, he asked me how serious I was about collecting. I told him I was very serious. After I told him that, he told me that he was sent the ORANGE FIXER VINYL, with instructions to take a picture and put it up on twitter. He told me that he looked on eBay before taking the picture, and saw that the vinyl was going for $300-$500. So, instead of taking the picture and putting it up, he KEPT the vinyl, and offered it to me for $350.

He wanted me to give him $350 for this viny that he was suppose to give out for free! What can I do about this? I wanted the vinyl so bad, and he even showed it to me. So I KNOW that he has it, he said he is half owner of the record store, so I guess there isn't much else I can do except try to let you guys know. This was the most selfish act I've ever seen first-hand. Needless to say, I am orange vinyl-less. I didn't go into the store expecting to find the vinyl, but I did.. and it hurts knowing that this guy is trying to rip off Pearl Jam fans like this.

If you can do anything, please let me know. I am very interested in getting this situation taken care of. He said he would NOT settle for less than $350, and he told me that he had absolutely NO intentions of posting the vinyl on twitter.

Thank you very much for your time
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• silver39silver39 Posts: 1,346
    Wow...what a shitty thing to do. Those were promos, correct? People are all about the $$$$ these days! Hope everything gets worked out for you!
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • Just curious, what is an Orange Vinyl (and why would he give it for free?)?
    6-25-2008 MSG
    10-31-2009 Spectrum
    5-18-2010 Newark
  • The ten club sent out these orange fixer vinyls to record stores all across the country, last I heard I think there are only 200. But the record stores were suppose to take pictures of it, and post it online.. then they were suppose to be given free on a first come first serve basis.
  • There was one instance where someone went into a store shortly after it was posted on twitter (maybe 10 minutes) and someone at the store made the mistake of saying that the owner had given it away to one of his buddies that morning (well before it was posted on twitter)...Pearl Jam tired to do something awesome here but unfortunately a few bad apples were involved.
  • Just curious, what is an Orange Vinyl (and why would he give it for free?)?

The orange vinyl is a limited editon of the Fixer 45" these were sent out to independent record stores so that they could be given out for free, they were supposed to post them up on twitter and the first person who got to the store would have it for free, he has no right to sell that for $350 that was not sent to him so that he could keep it and scam others, that guy is a douche!!!!!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    it took sometime for this to happen but it was supposed to happen sooner or later, the question is how many other stores have the same actitude? :cry:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • arq wrote:
    it took sometime for this to happen but it was supposed to happen sooner or later, the question is how many other stores have the same actitude? :cry:

I don't know, but if we pick them all out and make sure the public knows it, we'll eventually know what stores to avoid and what-not :]
  • arq wrote:
    correct.arq is right,i think this one was not the only one..so 10c better next time to give those things via here ,directly u.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    edited November 2009
    Dirt. Bag.

Based on the OP's story the store owner is a liar and a cheater and has no integrity. If this turns out to be untrue, I'll happily remove this post.

I hope people consider BOYCOTTING this store in the future. Why? Because the "half-owner" entered into an agreement with the PJ organization to carry out an action at no cost to himself while simultaneously generating free publicity for his store and possibly increasing foot-traffic and therefore revenue.

Instead he did the opposite thing and chose to take advantage of the very same customer that he should have been including in an exciting experience.
    Post edited by HeavyHands on
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    I don't know, but if we pick them all out and make sure the public knows it, we'll eventually know what stores to avoid and what-not :]

but if the public knows where the orange singles are then is not a game anymore, all sistems always have some kind of flaw :( We see signals of kidness all the time but greed always wins.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• I live in Oklahoma City...and frequent this record store, of which there are two that exist in the Oklahoma City area. I actually called that store when I received an email (they send out announcements almost weekly) stating that there would be something for PJ collectors. When I called to ask if it was - in fact - the orange vinyl, the guy on the other end said it was, and that I would definitely want it, as it was worth $500. My response was that I had no intention of selling it. I was at work when PJs Twitter announced that Guest Room had it, so I had no chance of getting it.

The guys who run that record store are pretty nice, but I wouldn't put it past anyone to let greed get the best of them.

If this really did happen to you...sorry.
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    It has nothing to do with the OP but did you know that there is also a blue vinyl out there? Only 50 copies! :shock:
    For sure...a holy grale for every collector!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
    Chrisilein wrote:
    It has nothing to do with the OP but did you know that there is also a blue vinyl out there? Only 50 copies! :shock:
    For sure...a holy grale for every collector!

I saw a couple of pictures of that beauty but danm it'll be very expensive!
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Dirt. Bag.

Based on the OP's story the store owner is a liar and a cheater and has no integrity. If this turns out to be untrue, I'll happily remove this post.

I hope people consider BOYCOTTING this store in the future. Why? Because the "half-owner" entered into an agreement with the PJ organization to carry out an action at no cost to himself while simultaneously generating free publicity for his store and possibly increasing foot-traffic and therefore revenue.

Instead he did the opposite thing and chose to take advantage of the very same customer that he should have been including in an exciting experience.

you hit it right on the head - PJ was trying to help all these little shops out, and they turn around and do something shady and greedy. This just sucks how many people in these stores did this - clearly they dont think long term and dont care to see consistent customers - some spend more than $350 on average at a well stocked record store per month.

something similar happened to me - I was in front of the record shop at the second they posted the tweet of that day, I felt lucky as no one else was around - I went in and asked about it, and the worker told me it had already been given away, BUT she had a very guilty loook on her face as she reached under the counter to get some Backspacer stickers to offer me as she apologized - then i saw the Fixer sleeve inside the brown mailer where she pulled the stickers. 10 mins later, someone else walks in and gets it from another worker. i put down all of my planned purchases and walked out. Granted, they did not keep it to sell it, but "chose" who they gave it to - which is not as bad i guess :evil: :evil:
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    The owner of the indie record store near me said he'd put it on ebay, too. 2000 of these should've been produced and sold as first come/first served deal, like Benny Hall.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • WOW. Totally fucked up.
  • silver39silver39 Posts: 1,346
    you hit it right on the head - PJ was trying to help all these little shops out, and they turn around and do something shady and greedy. This just sucks how many people in these stores did this - clearly they dont think long term and dont care to see consistent customers - some spend more than $350 on average at a well stocked record store per month.

something similar happened to me - I was in front of the record shop at the second they posted the tweet of that day, I felt lucky as no one else was around - I went in and asked about it, and the worker told me it had already been given away, BUT she had a very guilty loook on her face as she reached under the counter to get some Backspacer stickers to offer me as she apologized - then i saw the Fixer sleeve inside the brown mailer where she pulled the stickers. 10 mins later, someone else walks in and gets it from another worker. i put down all of my planned purchases and walked out. Granted, they did not keep it to sell it, but "chose" who they gave it to - which is not as bad i guess :evil: :evil:[/quote]

I called a Columbus Ohio store just now and she told me that they in fact had one but a "douche" (her words not mine) got it and she said he probably sold it on ebay...She said they wanted it to go to a real fan and he didn't seem like one...She told me next time to check with them if anything like this ever happens again. I told her what this current situation was and she said "fuckers" hahaha!!
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Had a similar bad experience related to the Orange Fixer/Supersonic 7"? Go here (http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=117651) and give your details.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    first and foremost , thats a terrible thing that happened to you, and i m sorry to read that.

But with all due respect , is the 10 C really responsible for this ?

Id think maybe the promotional / management department of pearl jam

is an alltogether different entity unto itself from the fanclub ,

i could be totally wrong here but surely they could point you in the right direction.

If I am wrong and they are the ones fielding these type of complaints,

I paid 500 bucks for a Firehouse Poster on ebay,
    ( also a promotional only item thru record stores )
    can the seller get away with that sort of thing ?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    first and foremost , thats a terrible thing that happened to you, and i m sorry to read that.

i could be totally wrong here but surely they could point you in the right direction.

I'm not saying that the Ten Club is responsible for this, I was just letting them know that an amazing idea can turn into a shitty one when you have shady record store owners trying to make a buck.
    Bathgate66 wrote:

the seller can get away with that because he's not virgin records, after virgin records gave the promo item away the new owner can do whatever he wants with the promo item.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Bathgate66 wrote:

I'm not saying that the Ten Club is responsible for this, I was just letting them know that an amazing idea can turn into a shitty one when you have shady record store owners trying to make a buck.

I think 10c and PJ management are under the same roof in that warehouse. While separate organizations, they are probably not so separate and when letters arrive to either one, meant for the other. They probably get to the right person if the person receiving it isn't the right person. I have found that if something I send to 10c is outside their scope, they quickly direct me to the right organization. For example, I ordered one boot but received a different one. 10c quickly directed me to Kufala who was very responsive. So I think your e-mail will find itself in the right hands. Can't guarantee what will be done about it.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Wow.. .so fucked up..G*R*E*E*D... I hope something can be done to prevent this in the future...
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    arq wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

the seller can get away with that because he's not virgin records, after virgin records gave the promo item away the new owner can do whatever he wants with the promo item.

i know this, but thanks .
    :)
    sarcasm doesnt translate well on the internets.
    i am happy with my hefty purchase .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Yeah, I set my twitter to mobile alerts for the PJ thing hoping to get lucky, but my local store never put one up. If there really were 200 of these, I'm pretty sure I only saw about 20-30 of them on the twitter thing, so there's a lot of places out there that didn't do what they were supposed to.