Books on Pearl Jam

jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I am headed for some vacation soon, will have a lot of time on my hands on the plane and beach to read. Are there any good books on Pearl Jam anyone can recommend ?

Thanks !

John
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The only one worth your money is Five Against One by Kim Neely. Perceptive, really well-researched and written (chapter headings excluded), doesn't pull any punches (though there is some bias, particularly over the Eddie/Dave A. issue), and really has a sense of passion for the band and the scene.

Only real problem is it was published 11 years ago so only gets you as far as the Yield sessions. But I'd highly recommend it.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Daniel Chavarria - One year in Madrid..(original tittle in Spannish - Aquel ano en Madrid)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Grunge is Dead an oral history on the Seattle Music Scene is fantastic!
  • FeiracoFeiraco Posts: 255
    Reminds me: isn't it about time there's a new publication about the band? Pearl Jam will celebrate its 20th anniversary next year. Of course, the early to mid-1990s have been well covered. But even the last years have revealed new issues while it's interesting to place those years in perspective. If I remember well, there aren't many books about the band in the 21st century.
    Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017
  • None Too Fragile : Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder by Martin Clarke
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    also if u don't have already the 5x5 lance Mercer book. while it's a primarily a photo book it does have essays throughout. and those plus the images are a pj vacation in and of itself! :D
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    The only one worth your money is Five Against One by Kim Neely. Perceptive, really well-researched and written (chapter headings excluded), doesn't pull any punches (though there is some bias, particularly over the Eddie/Dave A. issue), and really has a sense of passion for the band and the scene.

Only real problem is it was published 11 years ago so only gets you as far as the Yield sessions. But I'd highly recommend it.

I have a copy for sale if anybody is interested, $13 shipped in the US
    it's a good read to learn about the older aspect of the band
  • Ishmael, it will give you some insight into Yield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishmael_(novel)