Brother Aint No Cool No More

CopTheRiotActCopTheRiotAct Posts: 953
edited November 2009 in The Porch
(DONT think of this as a bitching thread PLEASE!!!! Just an observation.)
The song Brother.

Its not the same when you listen to it anymore. It used to be the secret tune lost 20 years ago. Youd put it on and feel some magic. It wasn't supposed to be heard, blasted on the stereo or rocked out to.

I still love the version that was on that leaked lost dogs. (DONT LOCK MY THREAD :p)

The new version is too fuzzy, distorted and not the same. Not to mention it was overplayed on terrible radio stations, that had no idea of the legacy and history of the tune. I dont think it is the best pearl jam song, The one thing it had going for it was it was vintage Pearl Jam completely obscure and not meant to be obtained.

I listen to it now, and remember the time when I use to feel like I was listening to something special.. I dont care if i hear it on the upcoming AUS tour. Hearing it live will only further de-mysitfy it. that being said. Pearl jam have been amazing over the last tour uncovering soo many lost tunes live, and I am soooo grateful for that. :D

I cant believe they played Bugs, Hold On, Outta My Mind, Sweet Lew, Pilate, All Those Yesterdays and No Way. also CROPDUSTER AND GHOST :D my favourites!
AMAZING BAND. So Pumped For The Tour I am about to witness.
(AGAIN. DONT think of this as a bitching thread PLEASE!!!! Just an observation.)

11431_216974153624_695423624_4149347_4903979_n.jpg
...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Oi! Where do you live?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • townsville :p:p

duh.
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    townsville :p:p

duh.

Yeah well now I know who you are.....duuuh! ;)
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    what still amazes me about this song, to get back on topic, is that i can't believe the amount of people who had never heard it or even heard of it til the instrumental version showed up on lost dogs, and then the amount of people who never knew there was a version with lyrics.

i remember brother was one of the 1st pearl jam songs i heard. beside the stuff that was actually on 10. i didn't realise there was that many who had never heard it.

and yeah i'm not the biggest fan of the newer version that is on the re-release of ten, it's lost all of the angst, aggression and energy the O.G had.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • townsville :p:p

duh.

I was thinking Mackay by your map as that's where I am coming from.

Melbourne > Sydney > Brisbane!!! :D
  • I agree with the de-mystyifing aspect. It always sucks when you love something that no-one else knows about gets on the mainstream and everyone starts to love it. I remember when incubus, modest mouse, and yeah yeah yeahs were not known at all, then they all hit the mainstream. Sort of ruins it. Although i still love the music and don't boycott it. Its just different when other people put it on when i would put it on by myself.
  • I was at the berlin gig and Brother isnt good live, it wasnt tight, like they hadnt played it as much as they should do before they do it on a consert.

But i like the song.
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    I was at the berlin gig and Brother isnt good live, it wasnt tight, like they hadnt played it as much as they should do before they do it on a consert.

But i like the song.

they played it night 2 in chicago. it was perfect. sounded like the studio version.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

I cant believe they played Bugs, Hold On, Outta My Mind, Sweet Lew, Pilate, All Those Yesterdays and No Way. also CROPDUSTER AND GHOST :D my favourites!

that was a philly thing mate 8-)
  • I agree that the BOB remix of "Brother" sucks. The "original" mix blows it away.
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    just dave wrote:
    I agree with the de-mystyifing aspect. It always sucks when you love something that no-one else knows about gets on the mainstream and everyone starts to love it. I remember when incubus, modest mouse, and yeah yeah yeahs were not known at all, then they all hit the mainstream. .

Yeah ive had similar experiences and its weird!

Was suprised brother didnt come out in philly. Does anyone else still remember the lyrics they made up to the instrumental version on Lost dogs? :lol: I know i sure do..