Options

Vedder as a first name???

tombrady12tombrady12 Posts: 57
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Wife pregnant and if we have a boy we are considering naming him Vedder. What ya think?
"if you hate something don't you do it too.." "You wanta toe? i can get you toe. Believe me there are ways Dude.."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    I think it'd be a better middle name...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    There was another thread similiar to this where someone said they named their daughter "Vedder". I thought it was pretty cringeworthy but whatever works for you.
    Makes much more sense to live in the Present Tense.

Shows: 05/30/03, 09/02/05, 09/04/05, 09/05/05, 09/24/05, 09/25/05, 07/22/06, 04/02/08 (EV solo), 08/08/09, 08/23/09, 08/24/09, 09/25/09, 09/21/11, 09/23/11, /9/30/12, 12/02/13... many more to come!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    Gmoney wrote:
    I agree
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I like Vedder as a first name but I like the unusual
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    Sounds silly. Give your child the chance to grow up and be his/her own person. Middle name maybe, but otherwise "Vedder" is better suited for a dog or pet.
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    Gmoney wrote:
    Agreed. As a first name I think it is pretty lame...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    awful.
  • Options
    My cat's name is Vedder, I think it works for a Pet
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,742
    No.

And congrats!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    name him after your father/mother or another relative not a rock star
  • Options
    Do it! I have a unique first name and I cannot tell you the debt of gratitude I owe my parents. Vedder is not so off the wall it is hard to pronounce and I guarantee he will never meet anyone else with the same name as him, just as I have never met anyone else with the same name as me.

I think you'd be making a mistake not to. You've been given the opportunity to name your kid something really special.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,067
    DeLukin wrote:
    No.

And congrats!

+1
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    Naming someone after a celebrity... Not for me. Personally I think it's ugly as anything other than a surname.
  • Options
    Big Drop wrote:
    Do it! I have a unique first name and I cannot tell you the debt of gratitude I owe my parents. Vedder is not so off the wall it is hard to pronounce and I guarantee he will never meet anyone else with the same name as him, just as I have never met anyone else with the same name as me.

I think you'd be making a mistake not to. You've been given the opportunity to name your kid something really special.

i agree with this...its up to you..i get shit for my 3 boys names all start with L..i like vedder ..

p.s you look a great couple enjoy the sleepless nights
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    up to you and the wife.

congrats btw. ;)
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    katelliskatellis Posts: 513
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    up to you and the wife.

congrats btw. ;)

best answer!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,165
    edited November 2009
    Congrats.
    But Vedder as a first name (or middle) comes off as pretty obsessive and cringe-worthy. Wouldn't you feel more comfortable using a family member's name or a historical figure who moved mountains, through suffering and sacrifice and justice, rather than records?
    And I say that as a longtime Pearl Jam and Ed Ved fan -- and a father who named his daughter Eleanor after Eleanor Roosevelt.
    Post edited by bicyclejoe on
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    I think it's cool, but it depends on what your last name is. If you have a last name that works, go for it. maybe your last name is "Mann"

Vedder Mann :mrgreen:
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    tombrady12 wrote:
    Wife pregnant and if we have a boy we are considering naming him Vedder. What ya think?

If your so enthralled with Eddie Vedder......why not just name your kid "Eddie"?

Someone in the other forum started a thread talking about how he named his kid "LUKIN"!!! That's complete insanity.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    My son's middle name is Vedder. Some people think we are nuts, some think it is cool. I would have went with Eddie, but my wife has a cousin Eddie that she can't stand. She knew how important the band and Ed are to me so she said let's go with Vedder. Connor Vedder is the coolest little boy in town.
    47 shows and counting.
  • Options
    My wife and I have two daughters. We never found out the sex before the birth, so we had both boy and girl names picked out. Our boy name was going to be "Liam Vedder". There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, even if you want it to be the first name.

It has nothing to do with being obsessive. If this couple want their child to have something unique, at the same time as sharing something with their child that is special to them, then no, it's not "awful".

We read the book of baby names, and there is a section devoted especially to naming your child after something in your life that has significantly impacted your life.

If it's unique but still tasteful (like not something your kid would get endlessly teased over, like say, "Apple" or "Moses"), then I say go for it. And if you're at all concerned about how your child will like it growing up, give him a "standard" middle name, and he can always choose to go by that if he wants.

Congrats on little Vedder!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    tombrady12 wrote:

If your so enthralled with Eddie Vedder......why not just name your kid "Eddie"?

Someone in the other forum started a thread talking about how he named his kid "LUKIN"!!! That's complete insanity.

this reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George wanted to name his first born "Seven", and Jerry said "if Mickey Mantle is your idol, why not name it "Mickey"?", to which George scoffs at like it's a stupid name.

Lukin is unusual, but I wouldn't call it insanity. There really aren't many "insane" names these days.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    tombrady12 wrote:

this reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George wanted to name his first born "Seven", and Jerry said "if Mickey Mantle is your idol, why not name it "Mickey"?", to which George scoffs at like it's a stupid name.

Good eye.....that Seinfeld scene was sort of the basis for my post.

"How about Mug? Mug Constanza. Or Ketchup? That's a pretty name for a girl."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    SarahLouSarahLou Posts: 175
    When i was on my way to the Pearl Jam gig in Philly, there was a guy in the elevator, and as his kid ran out at the wrong level, he shouted "Vedder come back!" i thought i must have heard him wrong, having PJ on the brain and all....but when we got off he called him Vedder twice more, and personally i loved it! I have always wanted to call my son Vedder, but decided to use it as a middle name instead, but still, it really suited this wee dude!

so congrats! and go with what you want to call him!
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    using someones name is not for me, especially not someone like ed, personally
    i dont think he would dig it to much.....
    but its a free country, and congrats, my daughter is now 9 weeks old, enjoy :D
  • Options
    My friends named their son Vedder. Cute kid, looks like he's going to be into sports when he gets older, while his brother shows more inclination towards music.

You won't be the first, but if you want to do it, no reason not to. Congratulations.
  • Options
    BeeGirl86BeeGirl86 Pittsburgh Posts: 171
    soo strange, I was just thinking about this the other day. I think it would sound much better as a middle name, but hey if you want to...go for it. My opinion = middle name though! Congrats!
    I miss you alreddie.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    How about soda?
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    I think Seven would be a good name
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg