FOOD, INC.

supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Has anyone watched the dvd that they gave with your tickets at the Philly shows?
"In the age of darkness
want to be enlightened"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They handed out Food Inc. DVD's at the Philadelphia shows?

I didn't get one on Tuesday, would have watched it for sure.
  • TunnelThroughDenialTunnelThroughDenial Posts: 769
    edited November 2009
    I'm not sure if Food Inc is the DVD they gave you but it was the subject line. If so I watched it last night (got it via Netflix). I really liked it but with me they are preaching to the converted. It's pretty much based on the book The Omnivore's Dilema which is great. It reminds us how the industry of food is unhealthy and cruel and advocates better alternatives. It is not a commercial for vegetarianism but rather more humane, healthy, and sustainable production of meat. I found the section on Monsanto's control of the soybean seed industry and their pursuit of farmers who try to use their own seeds really interesting and scary.

I've always felt there are three things one shouldn't go cheap on: food, booze, and toilet paper. It's worth it to spend more on food. Sadly not everyone can even make that choice. They showed one family who truly show how true and sad it is that a better use of their dollar to get calories for their family is a burger over some nice veggies.

Anyway - I would recommend the film to anyone. It was never boring or preachy and I enjoyed it.
    Post edited by TunnelThroughDenial on
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • thanks for the detail.

I did read Fast Food Nation and that really changed the way we eat.

I haven't eaten meat for 6 years now.

I too buy whole as much as possible.

I'll check netflix right now.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Thanks for the review. I may watch it now. Initially I thought it was one of those movies that tried to glorify the hippies who pay extra for food at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.
  • I had a chance to watch it at the theater few months ago and I would definitely recommend it. It is very well done, and certainly it makes you think twice before buying food. Interesting how all the companies that were "attacked" declined an interview with the film-makers. It would have been useful to hear the point of view of the counterparts.
    Bologna 2006, Verona 2006, Pistoia 2006, EV Santa Cruz 2008, NYC 1&2 2008, Hartford 2008, Mansfield 1&2 2008, EV Boston 1&2 2008, EV Albany 2 2009, PJ20_1, Berlin 1&2 2012, Stockholm 2012
  • marcos wrote:
    Thanks for the review. I may watch it now. Initially I thought it was one of those movies that tried to glorify the hippies who pay extra for food at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

There IS a reason people pay extra for food that is better.....
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • TheBeach wrote:
    Has anyone watched the dvd that they gave with your tickets at the Philly shows?

I just watched it today.

It was stupid.

Only to the first 2000 fan club members, night 4.
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    I watched it last night. Great movie, rude awakening for those that are not familiar. A must see.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • I watched it Friday night and really liked it. If anyone has one and doesn't want/need it and wants to send me theirs, I'd be very appreciative. I'd like to get this movie into the hands of some people I know.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    The Future of Food is along the same lines as Food, Inc. and is a must-see. An eye-opener!
  • I watched it Friday night and thought it was great. The section covering Monsanto's control over their genetically engineered soybean was crazy. I felt bad for Percy Shmeiser, the farmer whose non genetically engineered crop was contaminated by the Monsanto seed by WIND . This company bullies these farmers with their money til the farmers can no longer afford the court fees etc... (90 lawsuits against American farmers to date!!!) Here's some more info. to read: http://www.i-sis.org.uk/MonsantovsFarmers.php
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 8/23/09 EV-6//11/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09

It's an inside job today
  • as liberal as i am, i hate when people shove their vegitarianism/veganism in front of my face. it's sort of like when someone shoves their religion in their face as if they are the only good religion. I have my way of life, others have theirs. this is America isn't it? so live and let live.

but from all of the reviews, it seems like this wont shove vegitarianism or veganism in my face, so maybe i shall watch it. I have been wanting to re-evaluate my eating habits, perhaps this is the motivation i need.
  • marcos wrote:

There IS a reason people pay extra for food that is better.....

Tee Hee! I don't see a lot of hippie types at the Whole Foods Markets and Trader Joe's stores that I use here in L.A. They are chock full of rich folks. I'm very poor, so I really stand out in those places. Organic food restored my health: WFM has great variety, TJ's has low prices. I also have allergies to nearly half of all common foods, so I end up buying most of my food at these 2 stores. I do buy a couple of things at the dollar store and the discount chain "Fresh & Easy."

I don't think I spend more than people who live on processed food. My food costs less than $150 per month, which is just under $5 per day. I've been reading complaints from people who get food stamps that their $200 per person, per month lasts less than two weeks. What the hell are they buying?!?! If I had $200 to blow on food each month, I'd be trying to figure out what to do with the extra $50.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    thanks for the detail.

I did read Fast Food Nation and that really changed the way we eat.

I haven't eaten meat for 6 years now.

I too buy whole as much as possible.

I'll check netflix right now.

Legend. I've been veg about 2 years now. Never felt better, both mentally and physically.

Fast Food Nation is an excellent book. Eye opening.

Wondering if PJ have seen Earthlings. Would also like to see them recommending that. Not for the faint hearted, but certainly for those who like to hide from the truth.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    LongRoad wrote:
    Wondering if PJ have seen Earthlings. Would also like to see them recommending that. Not for the faint hearted, but certainly for those who like to hide from the truth.
    I was curious, so I looked this one up. THAT was disturbing. I couldn't stomach half of the trailer.

Only to the first 2000 fan club members, night 4.

yep.
    didn't even know about it as they sent the email about it after i was already in philly. nice surprise.
    watched it last week, definitely worth viewing!
    and for those entirely unfamiliar with our food system....i am sure really illiuminating, and even those of us who know a lot about it, still much to gain from seeing it. i would've seen it eventually, it was already on my netflix waitlist, pj just got it in my hands sooner.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Does anyone know who set up giving out Food, INC. before the show? I would really like to thank whoever did this. I watched the movie after getting home from those 4 awesome shows. Eye opening stuff to say the least. I've lost almost 70 lbs so far and I feel the best I've ever felt healthwise. It really turned my life around, I was one who went through life with blinders on (not so much anymore). I've saved a little under $1000 in food, since those shows, by making the switch to organic (not going out to eat, better planning, less waste). Guess it wasn't the joke that I previously thought it was.

Anyone know who set this up?
  • I went to the Culinary Institute of America for a semester and had to do a huge project on the state of the food industry and local farming etc. You know somethings wrong when the biggest culinary school in America is pushing for everyone to buy local farm raised foods. Some of the most shocking things I wrote about were how almost every "veggie" sold in stores is cloned (I forgot the acronym for the official title of the cloned foods) that the FDA produced to make each veggie perfect and nearly identical. Later on in my research I found about 13 different cancers are linked to these types of cloned and processed foods.

But it gets better, with my research I saw an interview with an all American farmer who grew veggies all natural. He had been growing crops since he was a teenager (family farm) and then one day he saw a pesticide plane dropping shit across his farm. Later on in the season some FDA officials came to his door and asked if they could sample some of his veggies so he complied. Later that week he got a notice in the mail saying he was being sued for having cloned veggies grown in his farm. Long story short, the FDA ended up kicking him out of his farm house and took over his farm, which is now strictly run by the FDA and Agriculture committees the government has assigned.

If this doesn't prove how corrupt and controlling the government can be I don't know what is. America is great and all but corrupt politicians, officials and police officers are slowly killing my faith and support for this country. I would love to see some sort of revolution during my lifetime, whether it be a food revolution or not.
  • Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    TheBeach wrote:

Yes and it was stupid.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,534
    I went to the Culinary Institute of America for a semester and had to do a huge project on the state of the food industry and local farming etc. You know somethings wrong when the biggest culinary school in America is pushing for everyone to buy local farm raised foods. Some of the most shocking things I wrote about were how almost every "veggie" sold in stores is cloned (I forgot the acronym for the official title of the cloned foods) that the FDA produced to make each veggie perfect and nearly identical. Later on in my research I found about 13 different cancers are linked to these types of cloned and processed foods.

But it gets better, with my research I saw an interview with an all American farmer who grew veggies all natural. He had been growing crops since he was a teenager (family farm) and then one day he saw a pesticide plane dropping shit across his farm. Later on in the season some FDA officials came to his door and asked if they could sample some of his veggies so he complied. Later that week he got a notice in the mail saying he was being sued for having cloned veggies grown in his farm. Long story short, the FDA ended up kicking him out of his farm house and took over his farm, which is now strictly run by the FDA and Agriculture committees the government has assigned.

If this doesn't prove how corrupt and controlling the government can be I don't know what is. America is great and all but corrupt politicians, officials and police officers are slowly killing my faith and support for this country. I would love to see some sort of revolution during my lifetime, whether it be a food revolution or not.

kicked him out of his farmhouse?

link please....you can't post garbage like this without backing it up....come on man
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • GREAT film, must see. Streams for free if you have netflix. Back to the weight i was in college!!!