LP's are not as good as CD

filthy_canvisfilthy_canvis Posts: 813
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I'm talking in the long run. Sure there is a wonderful sound the very first time you listen to a new LP but once that dimond tip needle grinds away the vinal a bit you lose so very much.

With CD there is still the problem with scratching, if you keep them clean and safe the digital read of them will stay true FOREVER.

I don't think you would hear the "gasp" on The End after spin 100 of an LP.
Bitch Be Cool 8)
BRISBANE 1998,2003,2006,2009!!!
Christchurch 2009
Oh I'm a lucky man to count those I love on two hands

come say hi on facebook http://www.facebook.com/sean.montgomery
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Not really, I have some very old LPs that are in great condition and have been played hundreds of times and still sound better than any cd. You need a good needle though. I always replace the needle first thing when I buy a new record player, those albums will last forever.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Not true.. in the very long run vinyl will outlast CDs. Most burned CDs have a life of just a few years. You might get 50 years out of a pressed CD.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Not true.. in the very long run vinyl will outlast CDs. Most burned CDs have a life of just a few years. You might get 50 years out of a pressed CD.

Does this mean our 2008 and 2009 bootlegs won't last us all that long?
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • My phonograph is probably my most prized possession. When my grandfather passed away he left me his entire record collection. I have three generations of vinyl in my library right now, my grandfather's, my father's, and a few vinyl I have added myself. I have everything from Perry Como to Pearl Jam and with the exception of a few poorly kept records, they all sound phenomenal. My grandfather's records have stood the test of time and the quality on some of my oldest records are exactly the same as some of my newest.

There is absolutely nothing in this world quite like laying the needle on a record for the first time. I am so very happy there is an underground movement to bring vinyl back.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,462
    Long run...Vinyl wins. CD's deteriorate over time...that's why I download all of mine so I have a digital file.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    In archival data storage world, guideline is to dupe a CD every 10-years. And these CDs are kept in dark, climate controlled archival warehouses!

But there is that -- at least you CAN dupe 'em bit for bit. Not sure that CD made from the record still holds the same magic....
    [sic] happens
  • There's nothing like the sound of an lp.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • It's a friction thing I garentee if you played the same LP on old one new the new one would sound better
    Bitch Be Cool 8)
    BRISBANE 1998,2003,2006,2009!!!
    Christchurch 2009
    Oh I'm a lucky man to count those I love on two hands

come say hi on facebook http://www.facebook.com/sean.montgomery
  • Vinyl over CD anytime.
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    It's a friction thing I garentee if you played the same LP on old one new the new one would sound better
    What about this?
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    i love vinyl and have a nice collection that I prize. the sound difference I'm still unsure about. I actually love both cds and vinyl . but I'll tell you sometimes lps bum me out for the reason that even when they are housed in clear protective covers the jackets/inner sleeves are so fragile! with the cd you can just change the jewel case to get that new look again. or even with the newer cd paper packaging you can pretty much easily go out and get another new one. it's harder to keep vinyls mint that's all I'm saying.
  • not true,,i love vinyl..the deference is the felling that vinyl give u..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I grew up with vinyl.

I'll take digital any day over vinyl.
  • I'm talking in the long run. Sure there is a wonderful sound the very first time you listen to a new LP but once that dimond tip needle grinds away the vinal a bit you lose so very much.

With CD there is still the problem with scratching, if you keep them clean and safe the digital read of them will stay true FOREVER.

I don't think you would hear the "gasp" on The End after spin 100 of an LP.

The gasp is not real anyway. It is mistimed . It was added to the mix
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,462
    Vinyl is a better source for archiving music. CD is far superior sound quality...not even in the same ball park...lol...

I have one Pearl Jam CD called, Ten or something like that...I think it's about 19 years old...still plays as good as the day I bought it. CD's will last much longer than the "hype" says...

Like I've said before...just back it all up on a dependable hard drive...or two...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • vinyl anytime, the warmth, the artwork looks better and just how much you treasure them because they're so delicate. The Fixer is my favourite song of backspacer so i bought 2 7" vinyls, one to play and one to keep. the difference is unreal.
    i'm a big maiden fan and there's nothing better than listening to some old school metal on vinyl. maidens a matter of life and death was slated for it's digital audio quality so i purchsed the double lp release and it's a completely different album. and i'd also rather listen to my springsteen collection on vinyl if i'm at home.

VIVA LA VINYL
    Caleb Benjamin Higgs-16th December 2006
    Max Lennon Higgs-22nd October 2010
    My two boys are the light of my life.

check my band/project out at www.soundclick.com/nineyardsleft