2009 and Ticketmaster...and the past

GreenDiseaseFreeGreenDiseaseFree Posts: 44
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I have been doing some back reading and looking at old PJ shows I have attended and something has been bothering me for some time. Plus I just finished "5A1" by Kim Neeley for the 3rd time to remind myself where the band has come from in the past to make sure I can accurately convey my point here:

I so admired PJ for the ticketmaster stand in '94 - '98. It actually made me a bigger fan, and I have always admired the way they have treated the fans over the years. Venue specs, to security, to NO ADS on the backs of tickets...

However, I am VERY disappointed that Jeff nor Stone, nor Ed for that matter (despite not being in the forefront of TM in the past) have not stepped forward regarding the TM/LiveNation merger.
This band picked up a torch and held it bravely and proudly against an evil empire who controls the ticket marker with an iron fist. Where are you guys now?? Springsteen, U.S. Congress, all coming to play, you should be heading this arguement when you could have an equally great impact (or greater) on this issue? Instead, we are saddled with enduring bullshit fees, and charges, etc, including this 2009 tour.
I am hurt the band has sat on the sidelines about this issue and has not had the courage to step back to the plate. The fans are THE FANS. We don't jump ship when our band stands up for something that betters or benefits us (and the band themselves.) The statement of losing fans over taking such a stance is absurd and well, screw those fans if they jump ship. I realize Mike's spin quote has caused some discussion, (that has gotten widely off topic BTW), and the band is paying for the new record, but come on, that can only go so far...
The overall is point is, I miss the band taking care of us like before. I miss a band that I feel had more pride about what they were doing and contributing. Now we have some bad venues, worse security, and I'm staring at my old ticket stubs with Hotels.com, Pepsi, find an apartment.com, etc.
I rocked my ass off this last tour of 2009, arguably the best of their entire career!! (actually can you argue it?) And thank you fellas for the experiences!! but regardless, from 2006 to 2009, tickets went up from $51.00 (including the charity which is still awsome they do that) to $68.00 this tour! I mean, even for the 2003 Benaroyal show, I paid $40, and as I'm sure you all know from attending or listening to, I felt my soul leave my body during that show and it was a benefit, which I would have galdly spent more money for the cause if asked.
Ultimately, how much should a religious musical experience cost a person? I remember reading that line from someone in the band (and I am pretty close to an exact quote).

Anyway felt I needed share this with anyone else.

Signed,
a financially struggling PJ fan
9/22/1996 - Toledo
6/27/1998 - E. Troy - - 8/17/1998 - Noblesville
8/18/2000 - Noblesville - - 8/20/2000 - Cincinnati
12/09/2002 - Seattle
10/22/2003 - Seattle - - 10/25/2003 - Mountain View - - 10/26/2003 - Mountain View
5/16/2006 - Chicago - - 5/17/2006 - Chicago - - 5/19/2006 - Grand Rapids
8/05/2007 - Chicago
8/24/2009 - Chicago - - 6/20/2009 - Memphis (EV)
5/04/2010 - St. Louis - - 5/07/2010 - Noblesville
9/03/2011 - E. Troy - - 9/04/2011 - E. Troy
7/19/2013 - Chicago - - 10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh - - 10/12/2013 - Buffalo
10/03/2014 - St. Louis - - 10/17/2014 - Moline - - 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee
4/26/2016 - Lexington - - 8/20/2016 - Chicago - - 8/22/2016 - Chicago
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Welcome to the board!

I think the band has made a conscious 180 degree turn from a number of their very vocal positions. Particularly:
    -Ticketmaster monopoly & ultra high fees
    -Sponsors of their shows (Verizon and Bud Light come to mind)
    -Letting money dictate their music

Seems to me they've gone in a different direction in the last few years, and that they will continue to do so.

I believe they probably feel since the rise of internet piracy that they are losing significant money from record sales (though they are making more now per cd with their own label) and that they will now offset that by other means. That means be all friendly with Live Nation, and not fight them on the TM merger, getting money (presumably) from Verizon and Bud Light (Verizon for those big-ass screens in '08 and Verizon being their cell-partner for live shows, and at least one show of theirs was Bud Light Presents Pearl Jam), and designing music that is more mainstream to cash in on the radio angle and promote their new albums with those radio-friendly songs.

I think they now view themselves more as a business than they did before, and they are looking at bottom-lines more.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    They were used b/c they were one of the biggest rock bands on the planet. Nobody came knockin at their door this time.
  • f'ing nonsense. you guys are so wrong. the draw these guys are live is ridiculous. they could sell tickets for $150 if they wanted for prime(fanclub) seats like all the other major artists that tour and they don't. membership is cheap compared to those artists fee to have access to the best seats too. they know the dedication of their fans and DO NOT take advantage of us even though they don't do much sales outside of us. You people are so full of your selves that you still feel like the band owes you because you have been a fan for so long. they don't owe you, you don't have the creativity to write the songs or the burden that they put on themselves to make people like you happy. get over it it's not 1992 anymore. they put plenty of energy into good causes and in the state of this world rising ticket fees doesn't rank very high in my opinion as one to dig in and fight for. let's not forget about all the people who were pushing them to stand up against ticketmaster back then left them out there on their own. they combat ticketmaster at band level, not on a national level. i find it kinda unbelievable that you praise their shows as the greatest you've seen by them ever but knock them for their business practices. you don't think they don't take care of the people who work for them? or pay the the folks who played strings on this tour? another bonus to their live show! and everyone wonders why they don't put out albums as often or tour as much- probably because it's like giving the coolest fucking toys to spoiled little kids who don't appreciate them!
    nothing as it seems.....
  • Ultimately, how much should a religious musical experience cost a person? I remember reading that line from someone in the band (and I am pretty close to an exact quote).

Anyway felt I needed share this with anyone else.

Signed,
    a financially struggling PJ fan
    It's funny you bring up this quote (I'm assuming this is the one you're referring to)

"Vedder's problem with the size of the venue - it's the biggest headlining gig the band's ever played (somewhere around 10,000 capacity) "I just spent the best of what's left of my voice screaming at people back in America about booking us here," he begins, brow furrowed. "I mean, I may be shy about some things, but not when it comes to the music." he fling his arms in the direction of the immense hall. "this place- how can you have a religious experience watching a band in a place this size? I can't speak for the rest of the band, but I feel like someone has to stick up for the music." The Courtship of Eddie Vedder, Spin Magazine 1993

I think it's fair to say quite a few things have changed since those days, won't you agree?
    2009:* Berlin, Aug. 15 * Seattle WA, Sept. 21, 22 * Vancouver BC, Sept. 25 * Portland OR, Sept. 26 * Universal City CA, Oct. 6, 7 *

"See the waves on distant shores... awaiting your arrival"
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Maayan.H wrote:

I think it's fair to say quite a few things have changed since those days, won't you agree?

I would say so. I'd also say that I bet you, I, and just about everyone else on here have changed in some ways since 1993 too, and maybe changed our views on some things. Not too much is the same now as in 1993.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • If you can't beat em, join em.. When they took the big stand against Ticketbastard it wasn't Ticketmaster that suffered.. It was US the fans who did.. Also.. As for ticket prices.. They used to sell MILLIONS of albums, now with illegal downloads and a decline in interest they are selling a fraction of what they used to.. If advertisers can carry some of the financial burden that keeps our prices down a bit.. Priced U2 or Stones tickets lately??
  • cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 238
    I think the OP and those who have responded have mad some good points. Here are my thoughts. On ticket prices, while the price for tickets have risen steadily for each tour, they are still less than comparable bands. Most shows I see are in clubs, but I make it to a couple arena or amphitheater shows a year. PJ's tickets, while certainly not cheap, are almost always less than others.

On Ticketmaster and the lack of action on the merger, maybe after pouring everything into it and losing they don't want to fight the same company again. They all have their own causes. With only so much energy, maybe they figure it is a better investment of time to support their charities, projects, etc. than get involved in a protracted anti-trust battle.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimore; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY; 23-St Paul1&2, Chicago1; 24-Chicago2, NY1, Baltimore
  • joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    I'm just curious as to how much cd's were in the past, being in australia most new cd's here retail around $20-35 now, if i remember correctly they used to be about $30+ back before the internet caused the music industry to go to shit....if you adjusted for inflation and no internet could we be looking at $40 cd's? I think they know they cant compete so they lower price of album.... look at the amount of units sold for each album it gradually declines....however as was pointed out, the guys have to make their money so it gets past on to the next big thing which is the tickets to shows, you can put some of the blame on the internet for this...! I'd much rather pay $40 bucks for a cd and $50-60 for a concert ticket instead of $20 and $130 respectively