11-6-2000!!! Where do you rank it???

pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
edited November 2009 in The Porch
With the miriad of GREAT GREAT shows the band has done over the years, most notably from 05-current...This one use to get a ton a mentions as one of peoples top shows. Just curious if people still hold this show in high regard considering what we have witnessed over that last 4 years or so?? Discuss! :D

11/06/00 – Key Arena: Seattle, WA
attendance: 17,000. packed to the fuckin’ rafters.
support act: Wellwater Conspiracy, Red Hot Chili Peppers
soundcheck: Parting Ways (w/strings), others we can’t think of right now
Ed with Wellwater Conspiracy: Red Light Green Light, Felicity’s Surprise
set: Release, Corduroy, Grievance, Rearviewmirror, Hail Hail, Evacuation, Dissident, Nothing As It Seems, In Hiding, Leatherman, Better Man, Nothingman, Even Flow, Jeremy, Lukin, Not For You, Daughter/(Androgynous Mind)
enc 1: Off He Goes, Light Years, Parting Ways, Go, Once, Crazy Mary, Immortality, ALIVE!!!
enc 2: Soon Forget, The Kids Are Alright, Baba O’Riley
enc 3: Yellow Ledbetter
notes: Ed sings two songs with Wellwater Conspiracy, dressed very dapper in that block stripe suit jacket he’s fond of. “Felicity’s Surprise” is from the forthcoming WWC record, on which Ed tells us he’s singing, before he leaves the stage. Ed then switches to a blue Eisenhower jacket for the main set. The audience is absolutely deafening, the place is packed to the rafters. Mike is doing running leaps onto his monitors during ‘RVM.’ ‘Evacuation’ is perfect, just nails the vocals. After ‘Dissident,’ Ed addresses the crowd: “Hello,” he says, waving. (Huge cheer.) Well, Seattle, this is it. One last show. We’ll never play again,” he says, with a sarcastic smirk. “Well, at least for quite a while … at least you’re better than the crowd last night.” He addresses the huge security presence down front and asks them to lay off, “Stop poking people in the shoulders after every song, they’re all right, just leave them alone.” During Mike’s ‘NAIS’ solo, the wine bottle is uncorked. “It’s been about three months now” sings Ed in ‘In Hiding.’ Tonight’s Section 8 (see: 104 in chicago and U19 in vegas) is 117, and a “Jeff, Jeff” chant arises after ‘Leatherman.’ “What??” says Ed. “I can’t hear you.” Jeff blushes madly and Ed goes over and hugs him. He uses this cue to mention about how Las Vegas was the 10th anniversary “of the first time we played the off ramp … we professed our appreciation publicly for Jeff and Stone’s long term relationship …” He then informs us “the next song was written when I was sitting on my bed when I was this tall,” and goes into ‘Better Man.’ ‘Daughter’ has an long, extended vocalization call-and-response with the crowd (like in Milan ‘00). ‘Off He Goes’ is dedicated to Anthony Hurley (one of the Roskilde victims). The strings come out again for ‘Parting Ways.’ The emerald green strat is the latest McCready victim at the end of ‘Go.’ ‘Crazy Mary’ has the solo from Zep’s ‘Stairway to Heaven’ overlaid at the end. ‘Immortality’ has the best Matt Cameron drum solo ever, which leads into ‘Alive;’ it seems to be more emotional for the audience than it does for the band with lots of smiles and they seem okay with it. Ed returns for the second encore alone, picks up the ukulele and says, “We’re gonna play one original and then go into ‘Heavy Metal Hits of the 70s’,” and then proceeds to play Black Sabbath’s ‘Iron Man’ on the ukulele (I know it’s late and we’re way freaked out but I am so not making this up). He then mentions how the song is written about some local folks, Bill Gates and Paul Allen, and goes into a surprisingly short rant on that subject. Following that song, Ed gives a pretty long political speech urging people to vote, but also focusing on local politics, telling the audience that the city of Seattle imposed draconian conditions on the concert being at the Arena, including tripling the band’s security costs. He ties this into the Teen Dance Ordinance and dedicates ‘TKAA’ to the people fighting it. This goes into ‘Baba,’ and then Ed thanks the Chili Peppers, Matt Cameron, the other 3/4 of Soundgarden, Wellwater, and then says: “See you at the voting booth tomorrow … if you don’t vote, let them put that on your fuckin’ gravestone: ‘John Smith, he didn’t vote’.” ‘YL’ is a total band hugfest onstage, and features the ‘Little Wing’ tag again.
Never, ever, flipping forget
"Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I still think it is a great show and one of my favorites
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    I would rank it very high, the boys sounded like they were enjoying it, but I don't know why it has like some kind of sweet and sour vibe, maybe because was the last gig of the tour, but anyway any show where Eddie talks a lot and tell his little stories and laugh and smile a lot is a great show (for me at least). The set list was awesome, and the public sounds very into it.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • wooow i was listenng to this boot this am..go to the "what you listen to now "page in the forum..i posted in there ...its stunning...shame im in the uk.only get to see a few shows.

but you can tell it rocked.
  • I still rank it at or near the top of the list all these years later. The Leatherman-Betterman-Nothingman trifecta is fantastic, and the tag on Betterman is my favorite ever. Killer versions of RVM, Not For You, and Immortality, plus The Kids Are Alright! I just started playing that boot again a few months back after not having played it in a few years - it always amazes and impresses me. Love that show, love that tour.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I think that show has to be top 5 all-time. Great call and return on Daughter.
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    Not easy to say because there are sooo many shows that would easily enter my top 10 list and it changes every day! There are other shows from 2000 which are really great, like Portugal or Katowice..
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    I wasn't at the show, but as a Pearl Jam fan who was on the board back then, I remember how great it felt to see that they played Alive, and how it was sort of a healing moment. It still ranks up there in the top shows of all time.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Chrisilein wrote:
    Not easy to say because there are sooo many shows that would easily enter my top 10 list and it changes every day! There are other shows from 2000 which are really great, like Portugal or Katowice..

Yes, but this show def stands out for that year over all imho. :)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • I was there. It was awesome. Not quite in my top 3 all time (AROSpace on 5/7/98 beat it) as for me did LA3 with Cornell. Read about this show I was lucky enough to get into with about 300 of my closest friends (Matt Cameron's first show with the band):

http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/98/arospace.shtml

It's worth a read......Here is a bit of it:

To close we had "Leaving Here," the crowd screaming 'oh yeah', and then they left the stage and I thought that was it, until Matt, Jeff and Ed came walking back out. Ed went back to the drum kit and grabbed a 45 and something else, hid them behind his back, and went into this ed-rap about how the band aren't materialistic, but every once in a while they find SOMETHING really cool, how he happily admits that he watches too much basketball, even if it is a corporate game, blah blah blah, that he plans to stop watching the day Michael Jordan retires, and then holds up a Michael Jordan bong (I am not kidding, really, I'm not) and then holds up the 45 and tells us that it's called "Last Kiss", by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers, that he found it yesterday for 99 cents and stayed up all night playing it, and that now they're gonna do it for us.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    First show they played Alive since the Roskilde tragedy. So much emotion, like when Ed dedicated Off He Goes to a victim of Roskilde. Definately played with their heart on their sleeve that night. One of the boots I listen to often. Great show.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • This is infact my favorite show of all time. I just think the band is so tight and pretty perfect. Daughter was amazing and I really love his vocals on release. Just so powerful and magical. I listen to these 3 discs often, so I may be biased, but I just don't think it can be beat!

K
    all those paper plates......
  • Wow, hard to believe it was nine years ago! My son was 12; he's 21 now! It was his first show. We were definitely in the rafters, but we were in the door! Excellent show, I listen to the boot all the time. :)
    . . . and in the aching night under satellites, I was not received. --CC
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,557
    I've seen a total of 32 PJ shows now, and that night will always rank #1 in my book. San Diego 06 and LA4 this year have come close, but there was just something amazing in the Key Arena that night 9 years ago. That was the best crowd I've ever been a part of.

That whole first encore is like a memorial service to the victims of the Roskilde tragedy. Playing Alive was cathartic for the band, you can just sense it. I saw quite a few shows on that second US leg, and you could tell that the band was struggling to get through each and every show. They say that adversity can often bring people together, and that was definitely the case in 2000, as the band and fans came together to get through it all. It all culminated that night, November 6, at the Key Arena.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    The thing about this seattle show, was I caught the last 4 shows on the Binaural tour.

The show in Boise (two shows before this seattle show) is my 2nd favorite ever (1st being gorge 05).

I felt at both seattle shows, they were trying to duplicate boise. The Daughter tags (which I think didn't work at seattle 1 but did at seattle 2) duped Boise.

The other thing was it was a nearly 3 hour set, but other then the kids are alright there weren't really b-sides/rarities?

It was a helluva show, and they were playing tight. But after seeing Boise two nights before, it seemed like they were trying to clone the Boise show. I also consider Boise one of the top shows ever that barely any 10c members made it out too. That tour you could only have a pair of tickets per tour. So I used my pair for seattle 1, and my friend bought a brand new membership and bought boise tickets. We got row 6! I wasn't even on the floor at Seattle 1 :) It reminds me that its worth it to see shows off the map sometimes.

Most of the shows I've seen are in the northwest area.

Top 5:

Gorge 05
    Boise 00
    Missoula 98
    Seattle II '98
    Seattle II '00
  • great set list,amazing show..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    defo a great show, on a par with katowice for me