Mellon Arena Final Year

m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
edited January 2010 in The Porch
When it first opened in 1961, the Mellon Arena was known as the Civic Arena. Then in December of 1999, the resident Pittsburgh Penguins signed an $18-million, 10-year agreement to rename the Civic Arena the Mellon Arena, after the Pittsburgh-based bank.

The Mellon Arena has exemplified every trait of a world class entertainment facility. Originally built to house the Civic Light Opera, the Mellon Arena is home to a variety of family shows and has hosted such music legends as Frank Sinatra, The Rolling Stones, six sold-out nights of Garth Brooks and The Grateful Dead

The Mellon Arena hosted its first show, the Ice Capades, on September 19, 1961. Other notable performance highlights include: The Beatles on September 14, 1964, Elvis Presley on June 25, 1973 and the Page/Plant concert on March 25, 1995, which registered the highest attendance ever in the Arena (17,764) until January 30, 1999 when 18,150 fans packed the arena for a WWF house show.

The Mellon Arena is famous for its revolutionary architectural design which features the largest retractable, stainless steel dome roof in the world--170,000 total square feet and 2,950 tons of Pittsburgh steel. The roof, which has no interior supports, is divided radially into eight leaves and is supported by a huge cantilever arm that arches 260 feet. The Mellon Arena, which was featured in the 1995 film "Sudden Death" starring Jean Claude Van Damme, boasts a dome that is designed to open or close in just two minutes.

The size of the Mellon Arena floor is 200 feet x 85 feet (17,000 square feet) for hockey, and can be expanded to 250 feet x 120 feet (30,000 square feet) by pushing back the A-level seats.

In the Fall of 1967, the Mellon Arena became the home of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins. The Pens have since earned two Stanley Cup Championships--1991 & 1992. Other notable sporting events hosted at the Arena have been the Larry Holmes vs. Renaldo Snipes heavyweight boxing match in 1981, the 1983 World Figure Skating Championships, and the NCAA Division One Men's Basketball Championship Tournament first and second rounds in 1997

As of 2009, Mellon Arena is the oldest and lowest capacity arena in the NHL by official capacity. In later years, the arena's staff was forced to use space for mutiple purposes never intended in the building's original design. The Penguins franchise agreed to a deal with city and state officials to fund a new home arena for the franchise in March 2007. The Consol Energy Center will be located across the street from the site of Mellon Arena and will have a higher seating capacity. It is expected to open for the 2010–11 NHL season, at which point the Mellon Arena is scheduled for demolition.

any ideas how to close this place down in style?
Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• There is no comparison between this venue and the Spectrum. Just imploding the thing on a Saturday morning in 2011 should be suffice.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Actually, that's THREE Stanley cups for the Pens.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Saw many a show there myself in the 70s and 80s. Also featured in the movie "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" with the dome opening. Actually saw my first show there on Jan 13, 1978 (Kiss).

Guess it's a matter of perspective because I couldn't care less about the Spectrum but have many great memories of the Civic Arena.
    #FHP
  • To each their own. The Spectrum was more of a national vanue, Christian Laettners fall away jumper from the foul line, one of the few highlights. I love how the OP stated Garth Brooks 6 sold out shows. Try topping Billy Joel with well over 50 consecutive sell out playing in the Spectrum.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I have a feeling that Pearl Jam isn't going to become the band to close out old arenas
  • BG122367 wrote:
    To each their own. The Spectrum was more of a national vanue, Christian Laettners fall away jumper from the foul line, one of the few highlights. I love how the OP stated Garth Brooks 6 sold out shows. Try topping Billy Joel with well over 50 consecutive sell out playing in the Spectrum.

Relax, it was just a post hoping to get PJ to Pittsburgh, not saying Melon is better than the Spectrum.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • With the exception of the last four shows in Philly, I challenge you to find as many good Pearl Jam boots from the Spectrum as there are from the Mellon/Civic Arena. Check out 2000, 2003, and 2006 (some further back), not to mention opening for the Rolling Stones in 05 at PNC Park. It means as much to those of us who came of age here as it does to those who did at the Spectrum of which I was very respectful for their memories. There are many old venues being torn down and all the people that played the Spectrum played the Civic/Mellon Arena as well and I have the stubs to prove it. Lots of history and memories in both places and I hope to see them here one last time as do many others. Besides due to the location of the Spectrum just as many fans were from the surrounding Northeast cities as they were from Philadelphia itself. Nothing wrong with either city and we're all entitled to what we hold near and dear. Cobo Hall in Detroit is another example of a venue where many came of age. Oh and as to Ed's comments, I took them with a grain of salt. Look what he's said about his hometown Seattle. :D
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• With the exception of the last four shows in Philly, I challenge you to find as many good Pearl Jam boots from the Spectrum as there are from the Mellon/Civic Arena. Check out 2000, 2003, and 2006 (some further back)

2000 was at Starlake.

But yah, PJ puts on a helluva show when they visit George Webb's old home town.

"This is a mellon, let's sing in the choir!"

Heh.
    BG122367 wrote:
    The Spectrum was more of a national vanue

This is a true statement. The Spectrum is a much more widely-known building than the Igloo. It has a bigger presence and a more folklore-ish history, I'd say. I personally could give a shit about the Spectrum, and have a soft spot for the Igloo, being a transplanted Pittsburgher after all, but I must admit the Spectrum is a bigger deal... especially to a band full of basketball fans. :)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2

• This is a true statement. The Spectrum is a much more widely-known building than the Igloo. It has a bigger presence and a more folklore-ish history, I'd say. I personally could give a shit about the Spectrum, and have a soft spot for the Igloo, being a transplanted Pittsburgher after all, but I must admit the Spectrum is a bigger deal... especially to a band full of basketball fans. :)

Exactly- if they were football fans, everyone knows they would be playing Pittsburgh instead ;)
  • Exactly- if they were football fans, everyone knows they would be playing Pittsburgh instead ;)

6 > 0

:)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    I'd like to see them at Mellon one more time (or maybe even a two night stand), but I don't expect them to close it out like they did the Spectrum. I just hope if they come to the Burgh next year that they can do a PJ/Penguins shirt for the show.
  • Yeah, I agree that the Spectrum is more of a national venue. And Pearl Jam has played a lot of legendary shows. But Philadelphia is also a major city with millions of people. Pittsburgh and it's surrounding areas have maybe a little over a million. But for every major tour, Pearl Jam plays Pittsburgh and they play it very well. I will almost gurantee they play Pittsburgh sometime this spring/early summer if they do tour. They have played great shows here, most notably their last one: '06 World Wide Tour. It was the first show of the second American leg, and they absolutely destroyed the place. If you were in the arena that night, it was loud, wasn't it? I swear that during "Rocking in the Free World," every single person was clapping.

You can tell the band are fans of the city, and the city is fans of the band.

We are the city of champions, afterall.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2003: Pittsburgh
    2004: Toledo
    2005: Pittsburgh
    2006: Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2008: D.C.
    2009: Toronto, Philly IV
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: East Troy I & II
    2013: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore
    2014: Austin I
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Hampton, Philly II, Chicago II
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    Yeah, I agree that the Spectrum is more of a national venue. And Pearl Jam has played a lot of legendary shows. But Philadelphia is also a major city with millions of people. Pittsburgh and it's surrounding areas have maybe a little over a million. But for every major tour, Pearl Jam plays Pittsburgh and they play it very well. I will almost gurantee they play Pittsburgh sometime this spring/early summer if they do tour. They have played great shows here, most notably their last one: '06 World Wide Tour. It was the first show of the second American leg, and they absolutely destroyed the place. If you were in the arena that night, it was loud, wasn't it? I swear that during "Rocking in the Free World," every single person was clapping.

i was there, and ritfw was amazing, one of my fav versions!!!
    and the my two hands tag after daughter, WOW!
    i'd like to see pj play mellon one more time

but, didn't ed say "don't hate us, but pittsburg is not our favorite place" after man of the hour? ( or something like that)
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    but, didn't ed say "don't hate us, but pittsburg is not our favorite place" after man of the hour? ( or something like that)
    Haha. Yea, He did. He said Pittsburgh wasn't their favorite place to visit... which lead to a mixture of boos, steelers chants, some cheers, someone threw a joint on stage, and Ed complained that someone threw a Marlboro at him (not his brand). Later he amended the statement and said 'but it is one of our favorite places to play' before going into Waiting on a Friend in honor of opening for the Stones there. Classic stuff. And a GREAT show.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • That's what I was referring to Delukin and not the first time he's done that in the town they were playing:-D.
    There's a Lew
    AlCindor original rookie card from a 13 yr old waiting for them if they play here this next tour.:-D
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    they need to play it...nuff said. hopefully if they play here it doesn't conflict with our back-to-back stanley cup championship parade!
  • gndcd402 wrote:
    they need to play it...nuff said. hopefully if they play here it doesn't conflict with our back-to-back stanley cup championship parade!

Maybe they'll come play during the banner raising ceremony at the Consol Energy Center.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • They should totally play the Burgh. Pittsburgh needs Pearl Jam.
  • gndcd402 wrote:

I cringe at the thought
  • foofan1990 wrote:
    gndcd402 wrote:

I cringe at the thought

They could play it right after the back to back superbowl parade then.
  • Yeah, I agree that the Spectrum is more of a national venue. And Pearl Jam has played a lot of legendary shows. But Philadelphia is also a major city with millions of people. Pittsburgh and it's surrounding areas have maybe a little over a million. But for every major tour, Pearl Jam plays Pittsburgh and they play it very well. I will almost gurantee they play Pittsburgh sometime this spring/early summer if they do tour. They have played great shows here, most notably their last one: '06 World Wide Tour. It was the first show of the second American leg, and they absolutely destroyed the place. If you were in the arena that night, it was loud, wasn't it? I swear that during "Rocking in the Free World," every single person was clapping.

i was there, and ritfw was amazing, one of my fav versions!!!
    and the my two hands tag after daughter, WOW!
    i'd like to see pj play mellon one more time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJQ-jX6DQM

"Ok. If I smoke a joint, Pittsburgh will soon be my favorite place on the planet... someone throw a lighter." :D
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • otterotter Posts: 760
    If I had a wish I'd wish that they play all songs off backspacer. What do yinz think the odds of that are?
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • yeazzzzzzzzzz!!

i spend many nights imagining pearl jam (and/or phish, seperate occasions of course) coming back to see off the old mellon. and if not at least i do have memories of seeing both my fave bands in tha igloo that mario built

and if they dont come say "bye" then they would have the perfect opportunity to open consol!!!

come on boys!!!
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here