9 years ago!!! 11-5-2000!!!

pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
edited November 2009 in The Porch
All the talk usually ends up being about the 11-6, but this was a GREAT UNDERRATED SHOW!!! If you havent heard it, or havent listened in a while, do yourself a favor and bust it out!! :D

11/05/00 – Key Arena: Seattle, WA
attendance: 17,000
support act: Supergrass, Red Hot Chili Peppers
soundcheck: Crown of Thorns, State of Love and Trust, Timeless Melody x 3 (with Supergrass), Parting Ways (w/string section)
pre-set: Throw Your Arms Around Me (Ed solo, before Supergrass set)
set: Long Road, Breakerfall, Corduroy, Whipping, God’s Dice, Animal, Given To Fly, Nothing As It Seems, Daughter/(Bull In The Heather)/(Beautiful Way), MFC, Lukin, Wishlist, Better Man, Even Flow, Crown of Thorns, Black, Do The Evolution, Insignificance, Rearviewmirror
enc 1: Timeless Melody [with Supergrass], Light Years, Elderly Woman, Last Exit, State of Love and Trust, Spin The Black Circle, Last Kiss, Porch
enc 2: Parting Ways [with April Cameron and Justine Foy], Yellow Ledbetter
notes: The first homecoming show. In ‘Long Road’ Ed sings, “And the skies are always grey…” Ed also mentions that sometimes it’s nice to play a show with your house key in your pocket. He later talks about how the typical Seattle weather seemed to follow them around the tour, mentioning Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego. ‘Crown of Thorns’ (once again, to everyone’s surprise) is introduced as “a song that’s older than me.” Ed and Jeff were playing this game all night, they have been doing all these jumps in tandem for the past couple of shows, but tonight they kept trying to psych each other out and pretend one was going to jump, but then they wouldn’t, and start laughing. Someone had brought a huge “VOTE BUSH” banner and hung it from the 200 level; it was removed by two industrious fans before PJ took the stage. Between ‘DTE’ and ‘Insignificance’ Ed acknowledges the previous existence of the banner and said that he couldn’t believe it, and that “Just for tonight, I hope they took them out back and roughed them up a little.” The members of Supergrass were brought out and thanked, and Gary and Ed trade verses on ‘Timeless Melody.’ WARNING – X-rated notes ahead: Afterward, Ed says, “I have a bigger cock than Flea and Patrick Ewing combined, but I don’t want to brag.” Mike illustrates this by holding his hands out to give us a visual. (This was referencing a comment Flea made earlier about how he heard that [new Seattle Sonic] Patrick Ewing had the biggest cock in Seattle, except that now he was in town.) April Cameron and Justine Foy are brought out (with hugs from Ed) to perform the string arrangement for ‘Parting Ways.’ After “Parting Ways,” Jeff grabs Ed’s wine bottle, takes a LONG swig, and then hands it over to Matt, who does likewise. ‘Ledbetter’ is lavishly tagged with ‘Little Wing’ (and there is a Jimi Hendrix photo, torn out of a magazine, taped to Mike’s amp). Really strong, powerfully played show. On the setlist but not played: ‘In Hiding’ and ‘The Kids Are Alright.’
Never, ever, flipping forget
"Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• arqarq Posts: 8,013
    Awesome gig, normally a little bit underated because of the more famous gig the next day, 2 of my favorite openers, c'mon RHCP opening for PJ "only in amererica!", I'm going to guess that you were there 3 row center?
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    arq wrote:
    Awesome gig, normally a little bit underated because of the more famous gig the next day, 2 of my favorite openers, c'mon RHCP opening for PJ "only in amererica!", I'm going to guess that you were there 3 row center?

HAHAHA...No.....aside from the showbox, I dont think I have ever been closer than 7th row or so....I believe I was in the second level...Mikes side pretty high up there for this one. I do remember that the guy next to me LITERALLY slept through most of the show though! :lol:

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • gohikegohike Posts: 31
    Hey buddy, long time! Saw the thread and had to comment!

Great show(s). Donna and I pulled 4th row dead center in the middle aisle for this one. My lasting memory was Flea's bass. He played it so hard and so loud that it was like getting punched in the gut repeatedly (in a good way). LOL! 2nd night we were mid-court, about 10 rows up, lower level. That show will last in my memory bank for a lonnnngggg time. Awesome weekend. Good friends, good times... (as always).

Didn't see you at any shows. Thought our paths would cross. Hope all is well.
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    gohike wrote:
    Hey buddy, long time! Saw the thread and had to comment!

Great show(s). Donna and I pulled 4th row dead center in the middle aisle for this one. My lasting memory was Flea's bass. He played it so hard and so loud that it was like getting punched in the gut repeatedly (in a good way). LOL! 2nd night we were mid-court, about 10 rows up, lower level. That show will last in my memory bank for a lonnnngggg time. Awesome weekend. Good friends, good times... (as always).

Didn't see you at any shows. Thought our paths would cross. Hope all is well.

Yo!! Sorry I missed you both! I pulled the plug on the tour this year due to some other issues, but things are coming together nicely! Hope you guys had a great time...Maybe see you in 2010! :D

• LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    Great show, I actually enjoyed it better than the one on the 6th!
    Cant believe its been 9 years......
  • Wow that is a sweet set! And in my home town!! Wish I had gone, but I was only 7 lol.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i enjoyed night 1 much more than 2....i cried during most of night 2 because it was the end of a life changing tour (life changing in that i made the decision to move from north carolina to seattle)
  • I was there. It was a fantastic show. I was sad because I thought the band was breaking up after the two Seattle shows. Two years later I was in Key Arena for the two Riot Act warm up shows but I missed the
    10-22-01 Benefit.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Great shows both, but there was a weird vibe the first night, if I remember correctly ... even the band said they were apprehensive about coming back out on the 6th. One memorable aspect of night one, and not in a good way, was that four-mile-long line to get into the venue. Nice planning. And I'm still dying to know what the fight in the first row was about ... before the show, with all house lights still on ... it boggles the mind that anyone with front row seats would risk getting thrown out (and they were) of a tour-ending show at Key. The "Jeff!" chant was cool, "Crown of Thorns" and the comments that preceded it were splendid, the security at Key were nazis, and Monday night was far too fleeting.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,557
    Remember, remember the Fifth of November