The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,797
    Newch91 wrote:
    What's the magic number now? It's probably still too far. We should be closing in on the Red Sox to be eliminated.

3 to make the playoffs.
    I miss igotid88
  • rival. wrote:
    it's not that big

ept_sports_mlb_experts-792128564-1285034778.jpg?ymacazDDcvLQFj7B

I think it should've been a mural of him destroying Major League Baseball.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • rival. wrote:
    it's not that big

ept_sports_mlb_experts-792128564-1285034778.jpg?ymacazDDcvLQFj7B

I think it should've been a mural of him destroying Major League Baseball.

very original
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • well well the sox are almost done :mrgreen:

solid win ..too many walks though

hopefully the playoffs are a wrap by friday and we can get some rest

although minny is only 1 game behind for best record ...dam
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • the AL is way better overall than the NL
  • the house of steinbrenner was awesome by the way

Talk about original... :?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

JUST SAYING OVERALL THE PLAYOFF TEAMS ARE WAY BETTER
  • HORRIBLE ARTICLE rays end with 4 against the royals

NEW YORK -- Nothing more to see here. Move along.

Technically, there is more to see -- two more games between the New York Yankees and the Tampa Bay Rays here this week, 19 games combined for the teams after that until we wrap up the 2010 regular season Oct. 3 -- but that is what it felt like Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium.

Under a glimmering harvest moon, the Yankees reaped a win over the Rays that seemed as if counted for more than just one game in the standings. It felt like game, set and match.

The players and managers, of course, would be crazy to declare a pennant race over with that much more baseball left to be played and a relatively narrow sliver of distance between the two teams involved.

Columnists, however, toil under no such obligations, and from the looks of Tuesday night's 8-3 Yankees victory, it is a pretty safe assumption that these two teams, which have breathed down each other's necks like Affirmed and Alydar all summer, are just now beginning to show some real separation.

[+] EnlargeAl Bello/Getty Images
    Lance Berkman gave the Yankees a 4-0 lead with a two-run double, and he scored on a Curtis Granderson single.And even though it's a pretty solid bet they will meet again in the American League Championship Series, the first portion of our pennant race appears about to be won by the Yankees.

Yes, it was only one game of the 16 they have played so far this season, and yes, they remain remarkably close statistically and in the standings, and yet, sometimes certain games can feel like more than 1/162nd of the baseball season.

This one felt, if not quite like a fight-ender, at the very least like a game-changer.

For the past two months, these two teams have played a series of nail-biters, and for the past two weeks, they have seesawed back and forth in the standings, neither club able to put enough air between itself and the other to drive a shim.

But Tuesday night, the Yankees were able to accomplish what amounts to a blowout, the first time since July 18 they were able to beat the Rays by more than two runs. And for the first time since since Sept. 7, they were able to pry open a 2½-game lead in the AL East, which, given the nature of this battle, so far feels almost like a runaway.

"It means nothing unless we come out and play well tomorrow," Derek Jeter said with characteristic discretion. "We haven't accomplished anything yet."

"A win is just a win," said Jorge Posada, like Jeter, practiced in the art of understated confidence. "We're happy with the way we played today. Leave it at that."

And manager Joe Girardi, the most cautious Yankee of all, added predictably, "Obviously, it's better to have a 2½-game lead than to have no lead at all, but there's a lot of games left and you still have to play good baseball. Your destiny's still in front of you."

Today, the Yankees' destiny as AL East champs seems a lot closer than it did three days ago, when they lost a dreadful game in Baltimore, or even Monday afternoon, when this four-game series against the Rays -- who were sitting just a half-game back -- loomed as a possible crash site for their season.

Now, no matter what happens over the next two days, the Rays cannot leave here any better off than the way they arrived, and in fact could limp out of New York a formidable 4½ games back, which would be their biggest deficit of the season.

And with CC Sabathia pitching one of those two games, even if it is a rematch of that sweaty-palms pitching duel he locked into with David Price last week in St. Petersburg, Fla., the odds are the Yankees will win at least one of those games.

Hunt For October
    The regular season is winding down and teams are fighting for a spot in the playoffs. Check out where your team stands here:

• MLB playoff race
    That would leave a division that was up for grabs pretty much in the grasp of the Yankees.

"It seems like we're hitting on all cylinders at the right time," said Nick Swisher, who started a five-run Yankees first inning with a solo home run off James Shields, the outfielder's 27th of the season. "We feel good about where we are. Everybody's kinda healing up at the same time, and we can finally put our A-lineup out there."

Indeed, compared to the collection of scrubs Girardi sent out to support Andy Pettitte on Sunday, Tuesday's lineup was a murderers' row. For the first time all season, all the big bats -- Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano, Posada and Swisher -- were in the lineup with the table-setters, Jeter, Brett Gardner and Curtis Granderson, as well as Lance Berkman, brought in specifically to be the DH against right-handed pitching.

And from the first inning, that lineup looked virtually unstoppable. After Swisher's home run, Shields became unstrung by a walk to Teixeira and an infield hit by Rodriguez. Soon to follow were a ringing RBI single by Posada, a laser of a two-run double over the center fielder's head by Berkman and a ribbie single by Granderson.

From that point on, even though Shields settled in and the Rays scrapped to make things momentarily interesting, the game felt as if it were over, with the race for the division soon to follow.

"They're not going away," Berkman said. "But at the same time, I think from a psychological standpoint we made them feel uncomfortable here. I'm not saying us winning these two games is gonna make them tuck tail and run because I know it won't, but I do think it let them know we are going to be incredibly difficult to beat in this building and we're gonna be a tough team to beat, period."

Over the course of two games in the Bronx, the Yankees have scored more runs (16) than they scored in all three games last week at Tropicana Field (12). And after having struggled through three straight one-run games, two of which they lost, victories by two runs Monday and a whopping five Tuesday felt more than comfortable.

In the other clubhouse, the Rays had to feel overwhelmed. And demoralized.

"Well, I want to believe we'll be able to come back," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "We had our opportunities tonight; we just couldn't find a way."

It was a night that made you feel perhaps Tampa Bay's best opportunities to beat the Yankees in the regular season had come and gone. A night that felt like a breakthrough, a game changer, maybe even a backbreaker.

A night that made it seem as if you had seen all there was to see between these two teams for the rest of the season, and that maybe, they could both try to do it all over again in October.

GAME NOTES: Javier Vazquez, who had not pitched since Sept. 10 in Texas, came into the game in relief of Phil Hughes in the seventh inning and pitched a scoreless inning, although he did allow three hits. Asked how he felt about being bypassed for 11 days, Vazquez said, "Obviously, as a competitor, I was disappointed. I can't hide that fact, you know. But we been playing some important games, and I know [Girardi's] trying to get first place and he's been using the main guys first. I understand. Maybe I can prove him wrong and he'll start using me." ... Jeter had two more hits to raise his average to .265 and extend his hitting streak to 10 games, the 42nd time in his career he has hit in at least 10 straight. Incredibly, that is the most in Yankees history, even more than Joe (56-game hitting streak) DiMaggio ever had. ... Wednesday's matchup: A.J. Burnett (10-13, 5.08) versus RHP Wade Davis (12-9, 4.19). First pitch, 7:05 p.m. ET.

Wallace Matthews covers the Yankees for ESPNNewYork.com. You can follow him on Twitter.

More from ESPNNewYork.com »

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING? Did you figure out that movie reference yet?

Maybe some AL teams' records are just inflated from playing the Orioles, Royals, Indians & Mariners so much. I'd say the NL is more balanced and the AL is top & bottom heavy.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'd say it's better to go for the division. Home field advantage means a lot during the playoffs.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING? Did you figure out that movie reference yet?

Maybe some AL teams' records are just inflated from playing the Orioles, Royals, Indians & Mariners so much. I'd say the NL is more balanced and the AL is top & bottom heavy.

yea cause the nats ,mets marlins stros are all so good
  • yea cause the nats ,mets marlins stros are all so good

Mets seem like a horrible team, but they are actually at .500. Same with the Marlins. Astros are only 5 games below .500. Nats are pretty bad, but have a better record than 4 AL teams.

Pirates are terrible, but the Phillies only played them 7 times. AL has 14 teams, so everyone gets to play the 4 horrible teams more times. Such as the Mariners, a team with the 2nd worst offense of the last 50 years.

Don't ever let the facts get in the way of a good story. I think you have a good point that the AL has 3 really good playoff teams, and the NL probably just has one. But that doesn't automatically make the AL the better league.

as i said PLAYOFF teams
  • yea cause the nats ,mets marlins stros are all so good

Mets seem like a horrible team, but they are actually at .500. Same with the Marlins. Astros are only 5 games below .500. Nats are pretty bad, but have a better record than 4 AL teams.

Pirates are terrible, but the Phillies only played them 7 times. AL has 14 teams, so everyone gets to play the 4 horrible teams more times. Such as the Mariners, a team with the 2nd worst offense of the last 50 years.

Don't ever let the facts get in the way of a good story. I think you have a good point that the AL has 3 really good playoff teams, and the NL probably just has one. But that doesn't automatically make the AL the better league.

mariners had 2 and still 1 awesome pitchers

so we had series early in the year with lee and king felix starting 2 of 3

not too shabby dude

nice boardwalk empire quote
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    I want the Yanks to get home field now too (mostly for selfish reasons, I have tickets for the first home game and I want that to be CC-Lee). Tampa has a much easier schedule but if the Yanks could take one of the next 2 and leave this series 2.5 up, that would be pretty big. A big couple wins the last 2 days.
    Dbacks hired Kevin Towers, that was quick.
  • nice boardwalk empire quote

What's that? I fired HBO again.

BUSHEMI used that quote on sunday night

its a new show about atlantic city duting prohibition

BUSHEMI used that quote on sunday night

its a new show about atlantic city duting prohibition

Yeah, I know it's a show. I was wondering which quote - I guess the one about facts not getting in the way of a good story. It's popular on politics blogs.

Anyways, the NL is much stronger than in recent years. It's not your big brother's NL. Just look at the crop of rookies in the NL vs. the AL - not even close.

• keep it rolling boys
    Let's go AJ! A win tonight would be huge.
  • kay is a jinx and a dope

first on the radio he basically said the rays suck

then b4 the game he goes" beautiful day in the city today and a beautiful night to follow" :lol:

20 minutes later...2 hour delay

then b4 the game he goes" beautiful day in the city today and a beautiful night to follow" :lol:

HAHA - that's awesome.

HAHA - that's awesome.

yea and then he goes...'didn't see that coming" :lol:

im sending it into the post for their weekend review of all the stupid shit said sports wise during the week
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    can someone tell me why chad gaudin is still allowed to touch a baseball?
  • rival. wrote:
    can someone tell me why chad gaudin is still allowed to touch a baseball?

I don't know why he's allowed to pitch, but I think Girardi basically used his relievers with an eye towards having them more rested, though I don't agree with it against the team nearest in the standings.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • mariners o's and royals last 9 games... minny here we come
    mariners o's and royals last 9 games... minny here we come

I hope not, i want my tickets to be CC-Lee that wednesday.
    mariners o's and royals last 9 games... minny here we come

If the Yanks can win tonight, I think they have a good shot at the division.