playing in an original band makes me appreciate PJ even more

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited November 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
its fun to jam with my friends, but i've never truly LIKED the songs they write....a little too upbeat, corny, light hearted for my taste....and the lyrics are one dimensional to say the least...and i have never been able to contirbute a song worth a damn either, and i know it

so, as if i didn't enjoy pearl jam enough, playing less-than-great songs puts it in new perspective - imagine being in the band where band members bring in songs like Corduroy, Immortality, Do the Evolution, Even Flow, etc, etc, etc.....with lyrics that are deep and profound and multi-dimensional, etc, etc, etc

and then your band gets to perform these songs in front of a packed arena full of people going apeshit...as opposed to a bar full of friends you begged to come, who politely applaud after each song

shiiiiiiitttttt
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sometimes I feel like Ed when I forget lyrics to my own songs and look into the crowd and find my place because someone else knows the lyrics better than me!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Yeah Bro, been there.done that!
    Worst is when you make an effort and recognize the potential in your peers but they don't fire up unless you fire'm up...but that's the thing keep pushing and trying and meeting new people and things get better...
    "If Inspiration comes, i hope she finds me working" Picasso XD
    Glorified Geek
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I always have been a fan, but didn't really understand their greatness until I picked up a guitar three years ago......they are the real deal.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • iron_lion wrote:
    Yeah Bro, been there.done that!
    Worst is when you make an effort and recognize the potential in your peers but they don't fire up unless you fire'm up...but that's the thing keep pushing and trying and meeting new people and things get better...
    Yeah, I tried to get a clap along going during the third verse of Rockin in the Free World and no one clapped. The crowd sucked but oh well
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • xtremehardy, do you have any clips online we can check out?
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I can totally sympathize with everybody here. It's hard enough to get 2 people on the same wavelength, let alone 5 or 6.

But the opposite holds true I think, also. Playing in an original band makes me realize how "easy" it is for a band to have a collective sound of their own.
  • iron_lion wrote:
    Yeah, I tried to get a clap along going during the third verse of Rockin in the Free World and no one clapped. The crowd sucked but oh well

i got a clap along going during the bridge of Free World when i played it at bonnaroo last year(the night before PJ played). fun show.

video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJRyDUHexU
  • iron_lion wrote:

i got a clap along going during the bridge of Free World when i played it at bonnaroo last year(the night before PJ played). fun show.

video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJRyDUHexU
    that looked like you dudes were having a whole lot of fun. good stuff.