Please help me with some radio release questions

boxorbagboxorbag Posts: 246
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I'm confused about how songs are released for radio. When a album is released like BS can a radio station play any song off that album or only the single "the fixer"? Do they then wait for the band to release a second single? Can they play the A side and the B side? In the case of a double release how is it decided which song gets played more? I was doing some searches on this and came across that Corduroy was never released as a single. That being the case how was it decided to be played on the radio?

I am absolutely in love with this new album and have not listened to a album this much for this long since No Code. When I say this much I mean 5 or 6 times a day since the release. I am trying to figure out how many of these songs are going to make it to regular radio play and how the process is going to happen. I believe 6 or 7 songs off this album could actually do really well if not all of them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Usually, the label/band decide which song they want to release. That song is delivered via hard copy (CD) or digitally (for faster adds).

Program directors/Music directors decide if they want to add the song into their playlist.

If you're an established act with a new single, you're probably going to get added right away. The amount of spins you receive depends on the audience.

There are some stations that add new singles right away and then others that wait to see how the song is received in other markets.

Check out this website: www.allaccess.com

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • boxorbagboxorbag Posts: 246
    So a song that is released by a band/label is not necessarily a single. But when a single is released for sale it is the new song that is being released for radio stations to decide if they want to play? Not sure if this is coming out right.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i dunno, but i've heard about half the album on the radio
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The days of "A" side and "B" side are gone in terms of radio.

Sometimes, stations (usually more progressive stations) will play songs that weren't intended to be released as a single.

Black and Yellow Ledbetter are good examples of this.

You may have heard the term "AOR"...Album Oriented Rock...more popular in the 70's and 80's, but there are still some stations that play various cuts from albums that aren't necessarily intended for release by the band or label.

Satellite radio will play more album tracks than your local rock, active rock or alternative station.

The purpose of terrestrial radio is to get you to the commercial break without changing the station. So, they stick with the hits...those same 20 songs you hear over and over and over.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • boxorbagboxorbag Posts: 246
    Thanks PBM for the info. It is starting to make more sense to me now. Hope to see these songs catch on a little more in the market I live in. These songs should draw some new fans and more sales if they start playing them a little more.
  • Unless you're in NYC and can listen to 101.9 WRXP. Those guys seem to play whatever the hell they feel like playing. Best radio station I've encountered since growing up and listening to 95.5 WBRU in Providence...
  • OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    81 wrote:
    i dunno, but i've heard about half the album on the radio

I have only heard The Fixer on the radio here in MA, granted I don't tune into radio all that often.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman