A feeling of Regret

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited November 2009 in The Porch
After seeing the great pics from this article:

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainm ... d=42907682

What the fuck was I thinking leaving before the 2rd encore of the final show at the Spectrum?? It all started by asking my cousin from Buffalo to his first 3 PJ concerts of his life. He was always a casual fan and wanted to get out of dodge for a while to rock out to one of the living legends of rock history. He had a blast during the 10/27 and 10/30 shows and but a good job of coercing me to leave early during the 10/31 show. He repeatedly mentioned the Phils game and how crazy it would be to let out te Spectrum and the ball park at once. I wasn't convinced. He then talked about going to the Bills game (a 1pm kickoff the next afternoon). They ended up getting crushed 31-10 and I missed out on Devo, Smile, Satan's Bed, balloon confetti and history. Lesson to be learned: there is NO excuse leaving a PJ concert early. From now on, I vow to stay all the way through (even YL).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Word !! that sucks :mrgreen:
  • There were only 2 encores.
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
    Funny story,

my g/f and I were sitting on the floor for 10/30.... we were front row for section 106 which was kind of in the middle.

anyways, all the traffic was going in front of us while people were leaving during the encores... my g/f accidentally punched a guy in the face while rockin' out.

She was apologetic... I deemed it rightfully so considering he was leaving during PJ. :)

(it wasn't a hard punch)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    haha.

Im a Bills season ticket holder and I have no "Regret" as you put it for missing the Bills game for this. Your friend should have his head examined. People in Buffalo even hate the Bills now. The only good part is tailgating (which is awesome), but you have to get there at 8AM
  • Wow. I can't believe you left early.
    You're the second fan to say this on the board.... well, I would have never ever done it, but I guess for some people is different
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • I left early, during alive on 10/31. Not due to traffic or anything, the wife, a casual fan, was feeling sick. I missed the balloons, rocking in the free world and YL and ended up waiting for the subway with the Phillies fans anyways. Moral of story - Don't leave early, ever.
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    I am guessing that you weren't on the high school debate team? :lol:
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Diggy381Diggy381 Posts: 165
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I am guessing that you weren't on the high school debate team? :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol:

That does suck though. . . I thoroughly enjoyed this show from start to finish. One for the record books.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Plus because of the rain delay, the Phillies game ended at the same time anyway. That's a shame.
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 628
    i was forced to leave early at the neil young/pearl jam/soundgarden/blues traveler show in toronto and missed ed and chris on ritfw. still not over it 15 years later.
  • sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    ???????????????????????
    My girlfriend always has to peel me out of there.
    I'm always thinking to myself (even after the second encore) "maybe they'll come back out again"
    I'm one of those.
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• i got to toronto late and missed the entire opening act. customs's fault tho, not mine.
    "If you love someone, set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck up." -ev

6/29/03 - Montreal, QC 10/1/04 - Reading, PA
    10/3/05 - Philadelphia, PA 5/12/06 - Albany, NY
    6/27/08 - Hartford, CT (FRONT ROW CENTER!)
    8/2/08 - (ev) Boston, MA 6/9/09 - (ev) Albany, NY
    8/21/09 - Toronto, ON 5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY
  • I missed Under Pressure with Eddie and Ben Harper in San Diego because I hadn't eaten yet and was out front eating. I had fifth row too!! I was seriously bummed, but the SD and this Halloween show made up for it!!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • i got to toronto late and missed the entire opening act. customs's fault tho, not mine.

You could also blame it on the Ex opening that day as well... It was a effin Zoo!
    Luckily i got my ass there in the afternoon.

You could also blame it on the Ex opening that day as well... It was a effin Zoo!
    Luckily i got my ass there in the afternoon.

that's true, i forgot about that...what a friggin nightmare.
    "If you love someone, set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck up." -ev

6/29/03 - Montreal, QC 10/1/04 - Reading, PA
    10/3/05 - Philadelphia, PA 5/12/06 - Albany, NY
    6/27/08 - Hartford, CT (FRONT ROW CENTER!)
    8/2/08 - (ev) Boston, MA 6/9/09 - (ev) Albany, NY
    8/21/09 - Toronto, ON 5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY
  • I saw the balloons, ready to be launched, before the show even started.
    I told my girlfriend that when the balloons fall, it's our queue to bolt.

Balloons fell, Ledbetter started, we bolted. We were back at the hotel before
    Mike even put down his guitar. Everyone else sat in World Series traffic.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,991
    I saw the balloons, ready to be launched, before the show even started.

Not true... we stayed until the final note of YL and then moved to the exit, sprinted to the car, and didn't sit in one single bit of traffic.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• on2legs wrote:

Not true... we stayed until the final note of YL and then moved to the exit, sprinted to the car, and didn't sit in one single bit of traffic.

You were lucky.
    It took a friend of mine 45 minutes just to get out of the parking lot.

I've seen Ledbetter many times before.
    3 plus hours was enough for me. I was hungry and tired at that point.
  • I saw the balloons, ready to be launched, before the show even started.

I stayed in the arena with a bunch of others, just sitting there letting it all soak in, until security told us to leave. Then, went to the parking lot, drank some more, shared stories, hugs, and waited out the traffic.

Perfect ending to a perfect show.

Mike's last note, in the last night of that building was worth it. The guys saying goodbye to us and the building after they were done was worth it.

I can't believe ya'll that would give that up just to avoid traffic. :?
  • Evergreen wrote:

To avoid traffic and to eat something. I was starving.
  • wall05wall05 Posts: 304
    Evergreen wrote:

Mike's last note, in the last night of that building was worth it. The guys saying goodbye to us and the building after they were done was worth it.

Exactly. I told my friend that we are not going anywhere until the last note is played.
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
    2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
    2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
    2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I never wanted to leave
    my feeling of regret- can't do it again
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    on2legs wrote:

Me too ! Getting out of there so quickly without missing any of the show was great !!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    My wife and friends know that I am not budging until the very last note has ben played and the house music comes on.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"