Options

What a Great Time to be a Fan

BTMBTM Posts: 58
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Although it's nearly impossible to state anything new on this site, most everything has been covered hundreds or even thousands of times, I wanted to throw my two cents out there. Our favorite band, Pearl Jam, is playing at an epic level right now. I'm 31 years old, and I firmly believe that in my musical lifetime (highschool'ish until now) there has been no greater rock band than Pearl Jam. They deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as The Who, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Dead, The Ramones, Jane's Addiction, AC/DC, REM, and on and on. They are fast becoming living legends. Their live shows are almost overwhelming with emotion. There is a perfect symbiotic relationship with the band fueling the crowds' energy and the band in turn feeding off the frenzied masses. It's an amazing experience that even non-PJ fans can appreciate and acknowledge.

I became a fan, a real fan, of Pearl Jam in 1998. Yield struck me in a way that none of their previous releases had. However, as I began to grow enamored with Yield, I went back through the catalog and fell in love with each and every one of the albums. It wasn't until I saw Pearl Jam live at Memorial Stadium in 1998 though, that I really knew how great this band was. Since that time I've seen Pearl Jam 23 more times. Each one a special experience and never taken for granted. However, there are just some shows that stick out and stay in your memory longer than others.

For me that show has always been November 6th, 2000 at Key Arena, the final show of the Binaural tour. It was a fantastic show, as many of you already know. I've been incredibly fortunate to see Pearl Jam in some amazing circumstances. I was front row center at the Mount Baker Theater, and I saw them the next night in Vancouver, BC at the Commodore Ballroom. I've seen their past three performances at the Showbox, and I spent the whole night at Benaroya Hall to get tickets to that beautiful acoustic set. I was at the Gorge in '05 and '06. But none of them ever matched the experience of Seattle night 2.

None of them. That is until this past weekend. Thankfully I was able to witness Pearl Jam's final two nights at the historic Spectrum. Both nights were spectacular with a perfect balance of obscure, fan friendly deep cuts and anthemic crowd pleasers. The Halloween show was, for me, the greatest live show I've ever seen. Yes, Seattle night 2 has been unseated, I think. Halloween had a much lighter feel to it than Seattle 2. There is absolutely no doubt that this band is loving what they're doing and getting better with age. On that November evening in Seattle, there was a certain feeling that this could really be it. That made the show very intense and special, but very somber at the same time. The final show at the Spectrum was completely opposite the Seattle show. It felt like a momentous celebration of a storied venue, and a statement that, "Hey, we're loving what we're doing right now, and we're really fuckin' good at it." I am on such a Pearl Jam high right now that it's hard to focus on anything else. I love this band!

Let's hope for a DVD of the Spectrum shows!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yup....they are def up there with Led Zep and all the greats of rock n roll...and while i think the 10/30 show was much better....they were all great fucking shows and i hope there is a dvd also...how cool would that be!! even if it's just a copy of the shit they had going on those 2 big screens!!! i'd buy it!!!
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more about what a great time it is to be a Pearl Jam fan. I love the whole Pearl Jam show experience, obviously the band, the set lists, the crowds, and the overall atmosphere all help to make the shows an incredible experience. I feel extremely lucky to have seen as many shows as I have (15), each one is different and special in its own way. The boot legs are a great way to go back and relive the feeling you felt during the shows. Even though I may go broke doing it, I will go to as many shows as my wallet will allow. Can't wait until they come back the US for more shows.

A dvd of the Philly shows would also be great.
    B Robinette
  • Options
    Great post, i really enjoyed reading that. It is a great time to be a fan and in all honesty I think they've made it easy on us over the years, they just keep giving and giving. They continue to release incredible new music as well as completely embrace their back catalog when it comes time to tour. I'm proud to say that my favorite band of all time is also one of the greatest rock bands in history. It would be a real shame if when they finally call it quits they're not mentioned along with the likes of Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who and The Doors but it doesn't matter if they end up on that list because at least We all get it! We are all a part of what makes this band so great.

These are some of the gifts that the band and their music have given me in my life. Gratitude, Love, Respect, Passion, Commitment, Trust and the list just goes on and on. THANK YOU PEARL JAM!
    " Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I love reading posts like this.

I only went to the Halloween show, some have asked me if regret not being there for the others.

NOT ONE BIT !

I think for me the whole experience of leaving Cincy at 3am and driving 9 hours , going straight to the 10c window to get my tickets and then going to the hotel for a shower, then a cheese steak , then to the Spectrum made that night really intense and special for me.

Would I have loved to be able to see all 4 ? Hell yeah. But I would have had to give up going to Cali at the start of the tour, and then I would have missed out on front row for LA 3.

It all worked out in the end, and I had a great time.

Cant wait for the Spectrum DVD's, then I will be able to experience all four nights, and by then will be even MORE excited to watch the show I did attend.

sorry, that was much longer then I meant for it to be.

thanks PJ, thanks 10c.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    They deserve a mention in the same breath, but they're not in the same league as the great triumvirate....Beatles, Zep, Floyd
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    DewieCox wrote:
    They deserve a mention in the same breath, but they're not in the same league as the great triumvirate....Beatles, Zep, Floyd

They sure do deserve to be in the same league just the fact that they do a ton more for their fan base compared to the one's you mentioned they didn't do a 1/3 of what PJ does for us and i SAW two of the above mentioned as complete lineups ....to me PJ is the best band to come around ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Great post! I have been a fan since '94 when I was introduced to Ten by my cousin and have never looked back. They are such an integral part of my life and this site is fabulous. I have only seen them twice before-Brisbane 2006. The second night was better for me as Ed said it was the first time he had been away from his partner on her b'day-ever. He really turned it on. Three years later & I am going back to Australia for the Sydney and Brisbane concerts. Australia is my natural choice as I have a sister and cousins that I grew up with who I am very close to who live in Brisbane. I was so paranoid about not getting 10C tics that I also booked via ticketek for the Brisbane & Sydney shows. I now have ten tics for two shows including 10C tics! My flight cost me the same amount as the tics! That is how much I love this band. It really is a great time to be a fan. Most of my cousins in Aus are fans so I have treated all of them. I dont care that it may have put me out of pocket. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me as I live in South Africa. I am 2 weeks away from departing for Sydney. I love this band and people who frequent this site are the only ones who know how I feel. They are just sounding better & better-I love Backspacer! Rock on, greatest band in the world! Bring on Aussie! :):):)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    here here, we are lucky, most bands this good have imploded.....
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    DewieCox wrote:

They sure do deserve to be in the same league just the fact that they do a ton more for their fan base compared to the one's you mentioned they didn't do a 1/3 of what PJ does for us and i SAW two of the above mentioned as complete lineups ....to me PJ is the best band to come around ...

that has nothing to do with the quality of their music, aka the only thing that matters
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    nowhereman wrote:
    Great post! I have been a fan since '94 when I was introduced to Ten by my cousin and have never looked back. They are such an integral part of my life and this site is fabulous. I have only seen them twice before-Brisbane 2006. The second night was better for me as Ed said it was the first time he had been away from his partner on her b'day-ever. He really turned it on. Three years later & I am going back to Australia for the Sydney and Brisbane concerts. Australia is my natural choice as I have a sister and cousins that I grew up with who I am very close to who live in Brisbane. I was so paranoid about not getting 10C tics that I also booked via ticketek for the Brisbane & Sydney shows. I now have ten tics for two shows including 10C tics! My flight cost me the same amount as the tics! That is how much I love this band. It really is a great time to be a fan. Most of my cousins in Aus are fans so I have treated all of them. I dont care that it may have put me out of pocket. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me as I live in South Africa. I am 2 weeks away from departing for Sydney. I love this band and people who frequent this site are the only ones who know how I feel. They are just sounding better & better-I love Backspacer! Rock on, greatest band in the world! Bring on Aussie! :):):)

Awesome ! have great time ! be safe .
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    The week is just beginning, but this is the best post of the week!
    I've listened some of the 2009 bootlegs and the shows have been amazing.
    I think they will be remembered as a great band in the future. They deserve it.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    During the past ten years I have often said

pearl jam is the best rock band since led zep-and they might make better records

and the events of the past week just solidified that belief

unfortunately, the world is catching on :P
  • Options
    It's so nice to be in the company of like-minded individuals. :)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Great post! Been thinking the same thing ... what a great time to be a fan.

And here's another twist: I'm 42 and have caught many bands at their beginning just like I caught PJ. Notably Metallica in '83 (easy for us in the Bay Area), Motley Crue's first album in '81, GnR in '87. The whole grunge thang....

After the Partridge Family and Monkees got me "aware," I was doomed: KISS ALIVE in '75 as an 8-year old boy, Destroyer '76, Love Gun '77, Alive II in '77 (Top 10 rock albums EVER) -- great googly moogly!!! Zepplin was pretty much wrapping it up at that point (thank god for the Plant/Page resurgence mid-90s!)

But in the early 80s as my musical horizons were expanding, a lot of bands were already well established. AC/DC Highway to Hell ('79) and Back in Black ('80), Ozzy's Blizzard ('80) and Diary ('81) which sucks you into Sabbath of course, Heaven and Hell ('80) Mob Rules ('81), Stones Tattoo You ('81), Rush broke out with Moving Pictures ('81), Iron Maiden with No. of the Beast (82), Van Halen was already huge but Diver Down ('82) was awesome, Scorpions Blackout ('82), Judas Priest's Point of Entry ('81) and Screaming for Vengence ('82). The Police Ghost in the Machine ('81). Dio's Holy Diver ('83).

The hype around these new album releases raised awareness for so many of these bands, if their back catalogs hadn't already.... The Wall was still sloshing around major in the early 80s. The Who were releasing stuff still, but the pull of their earlier albums was still strong ... like Zepplin's cannon, like The Beatles' cannon....

So where am I going?

Think about that 8-year old boy that just picked up BACKSPACER! OH MY GOD, he's in for a ride, so much music he'll explore now!!!! I kinda wish it was all so new to me right now! And that lil' shit can have ALL of this stuffed on an iPod with INSTANT access. I had to pick up the needle and drop it down oh so gently!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    Phenomenal post. Best band in the world. Thanks for the positivity!!! :)

Halloween show was my 40th and without a doubt, the best.
  • Options
    BTMBTM Posts: 58
    I'm glad to hear that you guys feel the same way. We're all so lucky to have Pearl Jam. ROCK!!!!