My buddy got a boxing glove and I am bitter

danny ddanny d Posts: 90
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I don't really know my intent on this post.It's maybe just to vent or have someone help me rationalize or feel better about the situation.Though most likely some will just call me a selfish ahole.Well here goes.Me and my closest friend attended the last show saturday night in my 9th row lotto seats. My friend was lucky enough to get his paws on one of the rocky gloves at the beginning of the show.He was involved in a slight tugging match,nothing too bad though and I was watching closely to try and make sure he nor the loser in this tug of war were getting overly aggressive.My buddy is a pretty big guy though and the other dude really had no shot.The jealousy immediately set in.I guess Im being childish in the situation but I just feel like I deserved it more than he did,and thought maybe he would even give it to me.Actually, I guess that thought never crossed his mind.My reasoning while probably weak is this:Pearl Jam has been my favorite band since Jeremy hit the radio way back when,Im sure like many of you that read this.I have bought every album the first day of release and own every major release they have out.I dont really have the money that some of the fans on here seem to have but I see them whenever it is possible.Im originally from baltimore and have seen every show in md or surrounding states since I was old enough to get myself there.I guess all Im trying to say is that I have supported this band since day one and frankly, they are a pretty big part of my life.So much so that this same friend just two years ago ridiculed me about it.Well I have since converted him and he too now loves the band .I dont think nearly on the same level as I do though.This was his second show.SECOND SHOW!!!All of the pearl jam he owns has came from me,other than Backspacer,which I urged him to buy.I just thought maybe that would possibly weigh in on the decision.I felt that knowing it would mean alot more to me than it does to him that maybe he would find it in his heart to hook up his best friend.I just can't get this off of my mind.Alright let me have it.Im a selfish ahole and I need to forget about it right?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Just be happy for him that he got it and mention that you would love to have it if he didn't want it anymore.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Im trying to,trust me.
  • yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    i say buy one that looks like it and swap it out when hes not looking..... :twisted:

or just get over it and move on, not that big of a deal.. it was a glove he wore for 2 seconds. Its really meaningless.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Well, just hope he doesn't put it on ebay!!
    Did he say what he's going to do with it?? Does collect posters memrobiella etc?
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    You are at someone else's mercy, so no matter how much you think you deserve the glove, your friend may not feel the the same way.

If it makes you feel any better, you've gotten to feel Pearl Jam's "punch" (sorry!) for 18 years, so you come out way ahead of your newbie friend!
  • I think and hope he is keeping it.The swap idea was funny,though I could never do that.
  • And you know I never officially asked him for it,but he surely knows I would love to have it.Its possible I could guilt him into it but then the memory would be ruined
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Just put in the winning bid when he posts it on EBay.
    Problem solved... everyone is happy.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • I really dont think he would do that.Do you really think it would pull down some cash,it could just be one he bought right?
  • Bitterness is a feeling I try to avoid if possible, it can build up and fester and grow and consume a relationship if you don't nip it early on... You're definitely not an a-hole though, what you are feeling is pretty understandable (well, to us anyway) but if you want to keep your sanity and your friendship with that guy, you're going to have to let it go, now.
    Besides, it really is not that big a deal, there will be many more shows and plenty other opportunities for you to catch some of the random crap they throw at us! cheer up, it's not worth the heartache ;)
    2009:* Berlin, Aug. 15 * Seattle WA, Sept. 21, 22 * Vancouver BC, Sept. 25 * Portland OR, Sept. 26 * Universal City CA, Oct. 6, 7 *

"See the waves on distant shores... awaiting your arrival"
  • Yeah,I guess your right maayan,though I could never let it destroy the friendship.Maybe he will get a wild hair up his ass one christmas down the road.
  • One other thing,the guy he wrestled it away from had a friend who promised me all kinds of great pics from all four nights,row 1,3,9,and 12.No glove and no pics yet.Some great pics would have helped out,but I think he might be bitter too.
  • I'd be pissed.

I scored a setlist at a concert for another band a few years ago. I was totally excited, but realized the person next to me came all the way to LA from Sweden for the show. I gave it to her. Not to be all about the glory of "me", but sometimes it just feels like karma to see that someone might have deserved (for lack of a better word) it more than I did. I feel better about myself for having done that and I now have a friend in Sweden. :D

Another fan on the other side of me saw what had happened, and gave me a pic they had acquired that same night. What comes around, goes around.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Danny,

Be happy for him. We'd all probably feel a little bummed, but be happy HE got it versus anyone else in the venue. Tell him "if you for any reason decide not to keep it, I'd love to have it".

He caught it fair-and-square.

Be happy for him. You wouldn't want him to be jealous of you if you caught it, right?

:D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • I'd be pissed.

I scored a setlist at a concert for another band a few years ago. I was totally excited, but realized the person next to me came all the way to LA from Sweden for the show. I gave it to her. Not to be all about the glory of "me", but sometimes it just feels like karma to see that someone might have deserved (for lack of a better word) it more than I did. I feel better about myself for having done that and I now have a friend in Sweden. :D

Another fan on the other side of me saw what had happened, and gave me a pic they had acquired that same night. What comes around, goes around.

I would've given it to the swedish chick too ;) :crazy:
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • mojamom2mojamom2 Posts: 73
    edited November 2009
    Give him time, he may come around and offer it on his own. I caught the other (well, not caught, it landed behind me in my seat). Someone else went for it at the same time I did. He relented, very good sport. In fact, he pm'd me about it. People around me were so happy for me. That's how it should be. I myself felt I didn't deserve the glove--not because I am not a big enough fan, but because I thought it belonged to the person from whom I bought the ticket - it was her 10C seat that put me in the position to get the glove in the first place. (I gave my 10C tix to my son). I tried to give it to her, but she would have none of it. Maybe your friend will discover it will mean more to him to give you the glove. If not now, maybe in the future as he grows to love the band as much as you. If it were me, I think I'd give it to you to thank you for turning me onto the band. Just as I tried to give it to my new friend to thank her for giving me such an up close experience.
    Post edited by mojamom2 on
  • Maybe he'll let you come over and play with it?
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • danny ddanny d Posts: 90
    edited November 2009
    Well I did get him to punch me with it a couple times.People commenting on it were all asked by me,"do you want to get punched with it,its awesome" ,or some old zappa ,do you wanna "Smell The Glove".Some saw humor,some did not,but no takers on the left hook but me.And also, if it could have been anyone but me I would want it to be him,just not nearly as much as me.This thread kinda helped though,Im feelin better about it.
    Post edited by danny d on
  • I heard from an english teacher friend of mine that there are two spaces after every period and one space after a comma.I was like What!Are you serious?In my personal opinion,it's just a complete waste of time,why bother?I'm glad the original poster is on the same page as me.And paragraphs are even more laughable,another complete waste of time.Anyway,I'm not expecting a response,I'm just saying.Take it easy.Have a great day.

(PS: If I had that boxing glove I'd knock myself out for reading this thread)
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    I felt sorry for the two poor folks who caught the boxing gloves... having to hold onto them through a 3.5 hour show, bear the burden of being the "boxing glove guy" the whole night... I'd rather concentrate on the music...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Dark Star wrote:
    I heard from an english teacher friend of mine that there are two spaces after every period and one space after a comma.I was like What!Are you serious?In my personal opinion,it's just a complete waste of time,why bother?I'm glad the original poster is on the same page as me.And paragraphs are even more laughable,another complete waste of time.Anyway,I'm not expecting a response,I'm just saying.Take it easy.Have a great day.

(PS: If I had that boxing glove I'd knock myself out for reading this thread)

:lol::lol::lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    He has to sleep some time.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I think it is pretty cool that one of your friends got the glove. It will make for good stories in the future. It would not serve you well to lose sleep over this. Eat, sleep, drink, and be merry!
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I'd be pissed.

That's awesome! When it comes down to it, these "things" that we think are so meaningful, really aren't. It's the experiences of being at these shows, and how they make us feel is much more important than a "souvenir". They're only things. They can get lost, stolen or destroyed and it messes with our perspective. But no one can ever mess with our experiences or memories of incredible times. :)

I was in front Wed but didn't get a pic, instead I enjoyed watching people dive bomb the floor frantically trying for one. I looked up and smiled at Mike and he was smiling back. That's more of a treasure for me than any pic would be. I guess I'm just trying to put things in perspective, here.
  • Just tell him that he's got to let you punch HIM with it once. Just give him the old dead arm... I'm sure you'll feel better after that.

Just kidding though. I can understand how you feel, however it will pass. Like someone else said, it will make for great stories. And even though you didn't get the glove yourself, it still happened the the collective you... you and your friend. You don't have the glove, but the story is just as much yours.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Danny,

Be happy for him. We'd all probably feel a little bummed, but be happy HE got it versus anyone else in the venue. Tell him "if you for any reason decide not to keep it, I'd love to have it".

He caught it fair-and-square.

Be happy for him. You wouldn't want him to be jealous of you if you caught it, right?

:D

agreed. I can understand feeling bummed about it though. it's okay though.

I would stress to him that if he ever decides to get rid of it to let you have first shot at it though.

good luck.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • danny d wrote:
    I guess Im being childish in the situation but I just feel like I deserved it more than he did,and thought maybe he would even give it to me.

BINGO.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Sorry buddy, but 'tis the truth. ;)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • i'd scope out the situation, see how badly he really wants it...offer a trade maybe. but yeah in the end, don't be childish about it. maintain your dignity and maybe one day he'll just give it to you.
    "If you love someone, set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck up." -ev

6/29/03 - Montreal, QC 10/1/04 - Reading, PA
    10/3/05 - Philadelphia, PA 5/12/06 - Albany, NY
    6/27/08 - Hartford, CT (FRONT ROW CENTER!)
    8/2/08 - (ev) Boston, MA 6/9/09 - (ev) Albany, NY
    8/21/09 - Toronto, ON 5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY
  • i can see where you'd be miffed...but he is your friend dude! a good friend isn't worth losing over a fucking glove...no matter who wore it! it's just a glove.....it should be a symbol of your rocking good time with your buddy...not a symbol of your petty resentment....be happy for him!!
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Just ask him nicely and I am sure he will let you rub your face on it...
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive