How about playing Cobo Arena in Detroit before it's gone?

BC18033BC18033 Posts: 19
edited November 2009 in The Porch
It's going to be town down like the Spectrum.
It has one of the greatest rock and roll histories of any concert place in the US. (KISS, Bob Seger, J Geils, shows there are legendary, and Yes, The Doors and Journey have recorded live albums there, to name a few)
KISS just kicked off the Alive 35 tour there last month. (I was there.)
Phish is kicking of their tour there this month. (I'm going!) They are currently the last band scheduled to play Cobo. It is scheduled to be demolished in 2010.
Anyway, I'm not usually a ra-ra guy to start things like this and think they are actually going to work. But I've been thinking about it for a while and was inpsired to act with excitement coming out of the Spectrum and dressing up my 2-year-old son as Ace Frehley last nite, hence my reason for not being in Philly. in another thread about unique places to play (sorry I started new thread, but that one seemed to be getting a bit stale) someone else suggested it too. So let's see if we can encourage them to carve out some time on their schedule.
PJ hasn't been here since 2006 (i know others have waited longer), this city and state is in the dumper and needs a pick-me-up. They had to have cruised right thru the Detroit back in August on the way from TO to Chicago. Let's hope they can make a stop in The D and Kick out the Jams before Cobo is history.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I agree, but it might not work as well as the run at the Spectrum did. Cobo seats about 6,000 fewer people, which would make it kind of small for PJ, especially in a good market like Detroit. Also, I've always thought the sound in Cobo was terrible. I was at Philly3, and thought the sound was awesome.
  • katelliskatellis Posts: 521
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • RaeleighRaeleigh Posts: 137
    katellis wrote:
    i would definitely make the trip to see that one!
    would never happen though, when was the last time *anything* good happened in detroit ? :|

So true. I'm all about standing up for your home, but Michigan really has nothing to offer anymore than the scenery of the Great Lakes.

Actually, now that I think of it, since PJ is always such a champion for the underdog, I think Michigan definitely rates a visit, considering the economic disaster we are in.
  • I agree, but it might not work as well as the run at the Spectrum did. Cobo seats about 6,000 fewer people, which would make it kind of small for PJ, especially in a good market like Detroit. Also, I've always thought the sound in Cobo was terrible. I was at Philly3, and thought the sound was awesome.

Roughly 15,000 people showed up to the Palace in 06, about 7,000 short of capacity, the Palace is out of the question IMO. Cobo needs to happen. Certainly, they won't do a mulit show run in Detroit, I would be happy with ANY Detroit stop this time around. I am kind of nervous we will be skipped and forgotten.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i'm iffy on the cobo idea, but...
    Raeleigh wrote:
    but Michigan really has nothing to offer anymore than the scenery of the Great Lakes..
    ...i really wish people would stop saying things like this ^ because it's absolutely NOT true!
    did you see me? i saw you.