framing your poster

d1witdafunkd1witdafunk Posts: 226
edited November 2009 in The Porch
hey guys i was just wondering what it usaully costs to have 1 of these framed cause i want to have it done right so they last a long time but with nights 1-4 to frame i dont want to spend a small fortune doing it any advice would be awesome thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• arqarq Posts: 8,013
    be prepare to spend a mall fortune, the price will depend in how fancy you want the frame, the type of glass, the frame itself, the mattes, how big and how small, so mamy little factors, first you need to have an idea of how you want to display the "art".
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Good question, I never paid 30+ for a poster and would like a decent frame but am broke, I'll be watching this post
  • wall05wall05 Posts: 304
    marcos wrote:
    Good question, I never paid 30+ for a poster and would like a decent frame but am broke, I'll be watching this post

These posters are 18x24 which means they fit perfectly into frames without any mats. It really shouldn't cost that much at all.
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
    2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
    2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
    2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2
  • punkmattpunkmatt Posts: 122
    Ive had a local Hobby Lobby do some of mine. Good quality. Framed and matted for about $55.00

cheers
    matt
  • 55 bucks each wouldnt be so bad i mean they never have to be done again thanks for all the info guys i cant wait to see what these tom tomorrow posters look like all put together and framed with the crazy run at the spectrum they just had these deserved to be framed
  • Diggy381Diggy381 Posts: 165
    wall05 wrote:
    marcos wrote:

These posters are 18x24 which means they fit perfectly into frames without any mats. It really shouldn't cost that much at all.
    This is absolutely true. . . just today I went to Michael's Arts and Crafts and picked up 3 frames that are 18 x 24. They are plain (just black frame) but the size is perfect and it looks nice. They had a sale and they ended up being $15 each. Depending on how you are looking to display these this is not a bad way to go. . .
  • 37pheet37pheet Posts: 433
    I DID THE SAME THING AS YOU BUT I AM ADDING MY TICKET AND SETLIST TO THE MIX. SORRY FOR SHOUTING CAPS KEY IS MESSED UP.
  • To frame all 4 together here is what I recommend - go to a lumber yard or some place like Home Depot and pick yourself out a nice moulding. Either ask them to make a notch on the back side or do it yourself in lengths. You can make yourself a very large, custom frame for very cheap this way. If you go the Home Depot route, you can also get them to cut you glass or acrylic (like Plexiglas) to fit your total opening. Matting paper you can get from any hobby shop or office supply store really - and it's cheap. You can even use card stock.

I think I'm going this route myself. I went to all four shows but only bought the poster for 10.31. I want to frame the poster with all 4 tickets and some of the confetti I saved from the end.

If you have the money and want to get it done professionally, you're talking about a good bit of cash. A single poster may run you between $50 - $120 depending on how you want them done up. That's going to increase quickly for a frame and matting large enough to fit all 4. If you just want to go plain and simple, I recommend doing what the previous posters mentioned. A local hobby shop or craft store will have frames that match these standard art sized posters. You can get those on sale for $15-$25 each.

Good luck!
  • LucanLucan Posts: 104
    May not be entirely relevant to 10C members in the US, but for Australians/Melburnians, I recently had a heap of show specific posters framed. PJ, QOTSA, The Strokes, Foo Fighters, Liam Finn, The Hives, etc. All of varying sizes, 13 in total, custom framed for AUD$600.

The "trick" is cutting out the middle-man.
    Most shop-front and shopping centre picture framers send off your prints to a factory to do the custom framing, most of these factories do direct-to-public at a considerably cheaper cost.

Jump on whitepages online to find framers in your area.
  • if you get it custom framed you will pay a ton
    i usually go to michaels ( craft store ) get a frame that is close to the size of the poster and use the insert in the frame as the back mat, looks great, saves a ton

for my first poster framing job i paid around $300 never again after that
  • if you get it custom framed you will pay a ton
    i usually go to michaels ( craft store ) get a frame that is close to the size of the poster and use the insert in the frame as the back mat, looks great, saves a ton

for my first poster framing job i paid around $300 never again after that

could you send us a picture of one of them...im going to michaels tonight!!
    Nassau 4/30/03
    Irving Plaza 5/5/06
    Continental 6/1/06 6/3/06
    Chicago 8/5/07
    Camden2 6/20/08
    MSG 6/24/08 6/25/08
    Beacon Theatre 7/1/08
    Philly 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    Hartford 5/15/10
    Newark 5/18/10
    MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10
    Alpine Valley 9/3/11, 9/3/12
    Wrigley 7/19/13
    Brooklyn 10/18/13, 10/19/13
    Philly 10/21/13
    Hartford 10/25/13
    Seattle 12/6/13
    Colbert 9/23/15
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philly 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    MSG 5/1/16, 5/2/16
    Fenway 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/2/18, 8/4/18
    Asbury Park 9/18/21
    Apollo 9/10/22
    Chicago 9/5/23,9/7/23
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    one of the major frame stores has a penny sale (buy one get second for penny) I think aaron bros or somethingevery january or february. go there if you want to go cheap. and since its 18x24, you luck out.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,562
    I would to have frame up all 4 Philly posters in one huge frame. With ticket stub's & saved confetti & seat number memorabla on the bottom of each poster. :D
  • could you send us a picture of one of them...im going to michaels tonight!!

the trick with michaels is they run coupons all the time for 40-50% off
    you will get a $40 frame for almost half
    i dont have a pic, im at work right now
    they have a whole isle of these frames, they almost look like hard plastic or metal framing around it
    and have a boat i think in the middle of the water? those are the ones i use a frame is a frame no need to spend a ton on it
  • I would to have frame up all 4 Philly posters in one huge frame. With ticket stub's & saved confetti & seat number memorabla on the bottom of each poster.
    i did something like that last year with billy joel at shea stadium, took the billy joel poster, tickets and the train tickets and framed them

i also did a collage of msg night 1 last year and hartford of all the pics i got off the website with the ticket stubs
  • michaels is the shit
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    mh184572 wrote:
    wall05 wrote:
    marcos wrote:

This is absolutely true. . . just today I went to Michael's Arts and Crafts and picked up 3 frames that are 18 x 24. They are plain (just black frame) but the size is perfect and it looks nice. They had a sale and they ended up being $15 each. Depending on how you are looking to display these this is not a bad way to go. . .

Thanks for the Michael's Arts n Crafts tip, I didn't think they sold anything beside 24x36, I will get the 18x24, this board has been a great help as usual. Although now I'll feel bad because I still have not framed my college or law degree and they big deals because I was the first person in my family to get a college degree. I was planning on getting them framed but spent all my money on Pearl Jam tickets.
  • Try framesbymail.com pretty nice set up site and I was happy with the product.
    '03 Montreal
    '03 MSG1
    '03 MSG2
    '06 East Rutherford, NJ.
    '08 MSG2
    '08 Hartford
    '09 Chicago
    '09 Philly 3
    '09 Philly 4
  • i will be taking a trip there this weekend to pick up one for my hartford poster and the spin and rolling stone magazine i have
    I will try to post a pic of mine when I get home tonight.
  • CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,256
    I guess I'm different on this. I wouldn't take my posters to Michaels to be framed. If these posters have value, as many of them do, would you want some amateur highschool kid framing your poster?? I know their prices are good, and I have spent more than what I wanted to framing only 3 posters of my collection, but I also know I'm getting a professional frame job. Not something that looks like it was done at Walmart. With framing, you pay for what you get. I know we all have different incomes, but in my honest opinion, if you want to do a frame job right, spend the extra money and have it done right... Not at Michaels.
    edited November 2009
    I guess I'm different on this. I wouldn't take my posters to Michaels to be framed. If these posters have value, as many of them do, would you want some amateur highschool kid framing your poster?? I know their prices are good, and I have spent more than what I wanted to framing only 3 posters of my collection, but I also know I'm getting a professional frame job. Not something that looks like it was done at Walmart. With framing, you pay for what you get. I know we all have different incomes, but in my honest opinion, if you want to do a frame job right, spend the extra money and have it done right... Not at Michaels.
    I suggested getting a poster frame from there. The size is perfect and you can do it yourself. The frame is plain, but looks decent and is easy to get the print into. I would post a pic if i knew how. . .
    Post edited by Diggy381 on
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    yup..the Michael's frames are nice. we bought some of the frames & created our own border for 1-2 of the posters.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JM144705JM144705 Posts: 434
    37pheet wrote:
    I DID THE SAME THING AS YOU BUT I AM ADDING MY TICKET AND SETLIST TO THE MIX. SORRY FOR SHOUTING CAPS KEY IS MESSED UP.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sucks when the Caps button it stuck
  • BMoore09BMoore09 Posts: 177
    i frame all my stuff via the internet.

http://www.framesbymail.com

With plexiglass, acid-free backing, and metal frames you can be out with a total around $20-$40 depending on the size. yah, you gotta put it together yourself, but its REALLY easy. If you want it matted you can do it for around $11 more or so.

Of course this depends on you getting their very basic metal frames.
    West Palm Beach I, WPB II, Tampa, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville 2000
    West Palm Beach 2003
    Tampa 2003
    The VIC - Chicago 2007
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Tampa 2008
    Ed Solo 2008 NYC
    Philly 10/30/2009
    Columbus 2010
  • I guess I'm different on this. I wouldn't take my posters to Michaels to be framed. If these posters have value, as many of them do, would you want some amateur highschool kid framing your poster?? I know their prices are good, and I have spent more than what I wanted to framing only 3 posters of my collection, but I also know I'm getting a professional frame job. Not something that looks like it was done at Walmart. With framing, you pay for what you get. I know we all have different incomes, but in my honest opinion, if you want to do a frame job right, spend the extra money and have it done right... Not at Michaels.

for me i just meant getting a frame and doing it yourself

i have had them do stuff in the past though and it came out great, but a little pricey
  • hey guys i was just wondering what it usaully costs to have 1 of these framed cause i want to have it done right so they last a long time but with nights 1-4 to frame i dont want to spend a small fortune doing it any advice would be awesome thanks

Buy the framing materials yourself and put it together. If you have to get one custom made with decent materials you are easily looking at $100 +.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
    BMoore09 wrote:

With plexiglass, acid-free backing, and metal frames you can be out with a total around $20-$40 depending on the size. yah, you gotta put it together yourself, but its REALLY easy. If you want it matted you can do it for around $11 more or so.

I'm not well versed in the world of poster framing and displaying so please forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of an "acid free backing"?.

I just got a frame, put the print inside (against the fiberboard back) and closed it up. Is this wrong? Should I be worried about something ruining the poster?
  • BMoore09 wrote:

That's what I was saying. Place is great, huh? A friend of mine was skeptical until he saw my '08 Hartford with their frame. I went to AI Friedman and they quoted me around $120, with a sale going on for frames so I searched online. Got it for 75 shipped, double matted, acid free foam and anti-glare plexi. If you don't really like plexi then you can just order some glass from near you and use that though. I will try to take a decent photo of it tonight and post it later.
    '03 Montreal
    '03 MSG1
    '03 MSG2
    '06 East Rutherford, NJ.
    '08 MSG2
    '08 Hartford
    '09 Chicago
    '09 Philly 3
    '09 Philly 4