Direct out and Digital delay.

savmansavman Posts: 230
edited November 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all.

I had a jam last night with some friends,. and had partaken in a few beverages and accidently set up my pedals chain wrong. I put in the lead into my Boss DD3 via the Direct out plug. :oops:
Anyway, at the time i didnt notice, and had played a few songs and then thew on some delay and it was doing all kinds of strange things like i would strum nothing would happen and then the sound would come on (like actual delay).
I eventually worked out what i had done and plugged it in as normal and as a side effect, found that the set up became massively louder?!
I guess my question is what is the point of that Direct out plug and how does it work? And also can you explain why it got heaps louder. I guess its to ddo with the signal being restored or something :shock:

Cheers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• savmansavman Posts: 230
    No-one have any idea? :?
  • It's times like these when I wish Ian was here, haha

I think it might be because of how the signal is processed. The direct out has it go through a P/A without anything else affecting the signal.

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/DD3.htm (go to DD3 Version 1)
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... Delay/10/1 First review kinda explains it
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I just went to the Boss page and looked up the owner's manual for the DD3. Apparently, it offers several configurations. If you plug the lead into the "Output" only, it will give you a mix of dry (unaffected) signal and wet (delayed) signal. This is obviously the normal method. You can also wire it into two separate amps (or one into an amp, one direct into a mixer, etc) with the "Output" being the wet signal, and the "Direct Out" being the dry signal. This can give you some interesting options with blending tones, stereo effects, etc. The final way you can use it is to wire only into the "Direct Out" (like you did), where you would get only the wet signal. This makes the delay more like a professional rack-mounted delay unit. You could use it in a stereo guitar rig with a split before the delay, but with only one amp and no need for stereo, you probably won't need it for anything.

As for the difference in volume, delays are typically less loud than the dry signal. With the DD3, you can make the wet signal equal in volume to the dry signal by turning the "E Level" (effect level) all the way up.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Ah thanks again guys! I knew you two would know!

Where is Ian? Not around anymore.
  • Nope, didn't wanna pay for being on here. Ex's site doesn't exist anymore, either.
    Ah i guess that is fair enough.
    Yeah i saw Ex's site closed.

His input is definately missed.
  • savman wrote:
    Ah i guess that is fair enough.
    Yeah i saw Ex's site closed.

His input is definately missed.
    He is a smart guy but a lot of people thought he was too arrogant. I just thought he knew what he was talking about. I wasn't going to question his integrity because what he said seemed to always work.
    hehe yeh he was quite sure of himself. I guess to be a decent guitarist you need a little bit of arrogance. 8-)

I thought he was very knowledgeable as well. But you MIG, bob and Ex also all have a massive amount of knowledge too..
  • savman wrote:
    hehe yeh he was quite sure of himself. I guess to be a decent guitarist you need a little bit of arrogance. 8-)

I thought he was very knowledgeable as well. But you MIG, bob and Ex also all have a massive amount of knowledge too..
    Of course. Not to downplay any of them.