Backspacer Lyrically Speaking...

vitovito Posts: 2,029
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Just might be the best PJ album to date. The lyrics are always great, but for some reason they really hit home on this album. Besides the obvious positive and upbeat tone that flows throughout most of the album, there's still that underlying darkness/sadness in songs such as The End, Gonna See MY Friend, Just Breathe, etc... Overall there are some stunning lines in almost every song. Here's a few that really stand out to me.

Gonna See My Friend- Gonna take an astral plane, I'm gonna tunnel through denial
I'm gonna shake this thing, I wanna shake this pain 'for I retire
The Fixer- I'll dig your grave, We'll dance & sing, Who knows, could be our last lifetime!
Johnny Guitar- Oh and I hide my disappointment, Cause' for years I had been hoping
Oh yeh how I had been hoping, That when she came, she would come for me
Just Breathe- Practiced are my sins, Never gonna let me win, aw huh,..
Under everything, just another human being, aw huh,..
Yeh, I don't wanna hurt, there's so much in this world To make me bleed.
Unthought Known(best PJ song since Given To Fly?)- All the thoughts,... You never see,... You’re always thinking,...
Brain is wired,... Brain is deep,... Oh are you sinking?,...

Feel the path of every day,... Which road you taking?,...
Breathing hard,... & Making hay,... Yeh this is living,...

Look for love & evidence,... That you’re worth keeping,...
Swallowed whole in negatives,... It's so sad & sickening,...

Feel the air up above,... A pool of blue sky,...
Fill the air up with love,... Black w/starlight,...

Feel the sky blanket you,... w/gems & rhinestones,...
See the path cut by the moon,... For you to walk on,...
For you to walk on,...

Speed of Sound- And yet I’m still holding tight
To this dream of distant light
And that somehow I’ll survive

But this night has been a long one
Waiting on a sun,.. that just don’t come

Force of Nature- One man stands the edge of the ocean
A beacon on dry land
Eyes upon the horizon
In the dark before the dawn

The End- It’s my fault, Now I been caught
A sickness in my bones
How it pains to leave you here
With the kids on your own
Just don’t let me go

Very, Very POWERFUL Stuff...We are indeed the lucky ones.
ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    Totally and utterly agree - i am so LOVING this album - not that I don't love all their albums, BUT this one has a vibe, you know? It's such a friggin' awesome album, can't be said enough.......The lyrics just get to me......
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I am so loving this album too. I listened to it 3 times yesterday, which is a lot for me cos I dont want to get sick of the songs, but I love them so much I'm not tiring of this album. Can't believe Philly 2 where the band played my 4 favs off the album - Unthought Known, Amongst the Waves, Force of Nature and Johnny Guitar. How insane that must have been, will have to get this boot amongst many others. I've had Johnny Guitar rolling around in my head all day......
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    pjamaholic wrote:
    I've had Johnny Guitar rolling around in my head all day......

Me too - Am totally feeling the love for that song today - :D
  • vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    yes, i agree. maybe the best since No Code. The only song with not so great lyrics in my opinion is 'Amongst the Waves'. dont ask me why. I think the music is great, but somehow the lyrics dont work with me....
  • The lyrics are great, but I still havent completely warmed to them yet. They are top notch, but the album musically, and lyrically is so markedly different than anything in the Pj catalogue that its still jarring to listen to. I still can scarcely believe their are 2 songs with strings, and basically every single song is a love song.

Its still hard to wrap my head around
  • brother123 wrote:
    musically it's garbage
    :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    I mean they're ed lyrics ,so they're good and all... but lyrically it's just not as interesting as say Yield or Binaural. I like trying to figure out what ed's talking about, this album's pretty straight forward. I love it, but it doesn't really make me think that much. Gonna see my friend has the best lyrics imo...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • I must admit that for me, this is turning out to be the best PJ album. I am just loving every bit of it-music, lyrics, production. Awesome, awesome album. Travelling from South Africa in 2 weeks time :D for the shows in Sydney and Brisbane and hooking up with my cousins in Brisbane....can't wait!
    rustedsigns
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,592
    brother123 wrote:
    musically it's garbage

It isn't garbage, but I agree it is not great either. The album got old extremely quick for me. Loved it in the beginning, but now I am struggeling to enjoy the full album. Force of nature, GSMF, Unthought known & The end are the songs I take with me from BS.
    I will swallow poison
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I disagree. Very simple repetitive lyrics in alotta the songs. Some cool lines here and there, but overall, not up to PJ standards.

Unthought Known has the most overrated lyric in the history of music. Gems and Rhinestones??? I think Incubus already used that.
  • Maybe it's just me, but Just Breathe seems like it could go on Into The Wild...
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"