Possible Pearl Jam Concert DVD?!?!

worldworld Posts: 266
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Can Pearl Jam be the next band to let us tape a show????

Nine Inch Nails let anyone who wanted to bring in any small video/audio recorder they wanted into the last tour. The result is the fans on various forums compiled their videos and high quality audio. Pouring all their skills together they made an awesome high quality downloadable DVD and 720p youtube playlist.

The completely fan-made DVD has multiple camera angles, crisp sound, and a professional menu and feel. It is pretty close to anything professionally made ive ever seen. NIN.com has links to the download. The download of the DVD is free and nobody is making any money, just fans joining together make something really special.

Could the tenclub forums be the next place to join together and create a unique DVD in a similar fashion? Ive noticed Pearl Jam is heading to the big corporations for creativity, but this totally grassroots DVD could be very neat.
Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    I'm sure this has been done already, just not with the bands consent.
  • worldworld Posts: 266
    I know there are various videos scattered on youtube, but nothing of high quality or organized. With Pearl Jam consent, we could use this forum with large number of fans to really produce something of high quality.
    Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    WOW NIN is always ahead on this kind of things, and i believe that trent reznor is not complaining about album sales and pissed because the internet kill the music industry. :mrgreen: that's a guy who know how to use the internet and now he must be richer than before!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
    world wrote:
    I know there are various videos scattered on youtube, but nothing of high quality or organized. With Pearl Jam consent, we could use this forum with large number of fans to really produce something of high quality.
    It's more than just videos scattered on youtube.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    world wrote:

Those videos scattered on youtube come from the fanmade dvds ;)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • I've heard of things... :D

However, on a more official note, Paul Westerberg has a DVD that was compiled from mostly fan recordings. It was put together professionally with some behind the scenes stuff and released as an official DVD. It's pretty great!
    here for the music...
    DS114969 wrote:
    world wrote:

Those videos scattered on youtube come from the fanmade dvds ;)
    Exactly, it's more than just videos scattered on youtube.
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    I took enough pictures and hd video (albeit slightly shakey at times) at LA to make a dvd, when combined with the sound from the boots I could easily do this, I have the software and now the material. So why don't I? Because this is against what the band and 10c want. These are for my private viewing and wont appear on youtube or be sold, traded etc. I think as soon as we start doing this kind of thing, camera policy would change very quickly.

Rule number 1 - don't eat the goose that lays the golden eggs.
  • worldworld Posts: 266
    However, on a more official note, Paul Westerberg has a DVD that was compiled from mostly fan recordings. It was put together professionally with some behind the scenes stuff and released as an official DVD. It's pretty great!

But, with something so organic and special, it would feel really wrong to have some corporate logo on the side and have to pay amazon or bestbuy $15 for it.

Fan-made should be distributed through free torrents.
    I took enough pictures and hd video (albeit slightly shakey at times) at LA to make a dvd, when combined with the sound from the boots I could easily do this, I have the software and now the material. So why don't I? Because this is against what the band and 10c want. These are for my private viewing and wont appear on youtube or be sold, traded etc. I think as soon as we start doing this kind of thing, camera policy would change very quickly.

That's a bunch of BS. If you wanted to respect the 10c and bands wishes, then you wouldn't have taped the show to begin with.
  • NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    They should just release the footage of what's on the sidescreens at the Philly shows. Do a 4-disc DVD of all 4 shows for an almost complete PJ catalog
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI

That's a bunch of BS. If you wanted to respect the 10c and bands wishes, then you wouldn't have taped the show to begin with.

BS- I don't BS.

The band/10c were quite happy for me to take cameras in - it is a small panasonic digital still camera that also takes video (about the size of a wallet) - like most do these days - not of professional quality. As you know, there were hundreds of such cameras in the shows and their footage is all over youtube and other sites. It was examined before the show by event staff, I wrote to 10c before I went for clarification. I'm talking about distribution of the material. I'm talking about me then making a dvd of what I have and using available technology to produce something that could in effect detract from their rights as an artist to profit and make a livelihood from their work.

I've purchased every dvd and cd the band have released - never copied anything. How about you open your eyes and mind before jumping in on a thread calling somoene BS.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    They should just release the footage of what's on the sidescreens at the Philly shows. Do a 4-disc DVD of all 4 shows for an almost complete PJ catalog

That's what I'm talkin about.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092

BS- I don't BS.

The band/10c were quite happy for me to take cameras in - it is a small panasonic digital still camera that also takes video (about the size of a wallet) - like most do these days - not of professional quality. As you know, there were hundreds of such cameras in the shows and their footage is all over youtube and other sites. It was examined before the show by event staff, I wrote to 10c before I went for clarification. I'm talking about distribution of the material. I'm talking about me then making a dvd of what I have and using available technology to produce something that could in effect detract from their rights as an artist to profit and make a livelihood from their work.

I've purchased every dvd and cd the band have released - never copied anything. How about you open your eyes and mind before jumping in on a thread calling somoene BS.
    I guess the point he's making is that the policy is pretty clear. No video. Not, no video for distribution.
  • world wrote:

But, with something so organic and special, it would feel really wrong to have some corporate logo on the side and have to pay amazon or bestbuy $15 for it.

Fan-made should be distributed through free torrents.

Oh, Don't get me wrong I think the NIN idea is great! But it's also not the first time the idea was thrown around. Just the first time in this manner and this magnitude. It's great that they endorsed it, and supported it, but I also dont see anything wrong with someone wanting a physical copy pressed with artwork and all. If Pearl Jam did this and released it through 10C for $5 pressed with artwork and what not, I think it would be amazing, and I would have no problem paying for it.
    here for the music...

BS- I don't BS.

The band/10c were quite happy for me to take cameras in - it is a small panasonic digital still camera that also takes video - like most do these days - not of professional quality. As you know, there were hundreds of such cameras in the shows and their footage is all over youtube and other sites. It was examined before the show by event staff, I wrote to 10c before I went for clarification. I'm talking about distribution of the material. I'm talking about me then making a dvd of what I have and using available technology to produce something that could in effect detract from their rights as an artist to profit and make a livelihood from their work.

Open my eyes to what? Your original post was vague. All it says is that you took pictures and have video. From that I assumed that you used a video camera to record it and that's against their policy or at least the one they have posted on the site. If you had said you had permission from the 10c and event staff I wouldn't have called it BS, but you didn't, so I did.

Sorry for making an assumption.
    Point taken.

Although I did specifically ask about that and was not told no, in fact i had this discussion with event staff at Gibson and also MSG and they were pretty ambivalent to it, just said, don't use it for anything other than personal memories and you'll be fine. In fact I can almost remember the exact quote - "There will be video cameras in there, we can't stop it, just do the right thing with your footage..."

I think we're moving into an area where technology is very quickly forcing things down new paths.

Peace tvismyfriend, I wasn't clear in my original post.