If I were Writing the Perth Set list...

Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
edited November 2009 in The Porch
It would be a big night and they'd break curfew, but go something like this...

Under Pressure (Ed with Ben Harper and R7) Pre PJ Set.

PJ

Of The Girl
Gonna See My Friend
Corduroy
Save You
Breakerfall
Comatose
Elderly Woman
Untitled/MFC
Given To Fly
Got Some
Even Flow
Johnny Guitar
Off He Goes
Nothingman
Jeremy
Undone
Insignificance
Rear View Mirror

Just Breathe (with strings)
The End (with strings)
Soon Forget (with strings)
I See Red (With strings and Liam Finn)
Mankind
Present Tense
The Fixer
Big Wave
Supersonic
Spin The Black Circle

Red Mosquito (With Ben Harper)
Amongst The Waves
Go
Blood
Once
Alive

Not asking much am I :lol:

If I were writing it purely for me there'd be about 40 more songs in there - damn you Pearl jam not doing four shows at the 8000 seat Ent Cent... :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    Wow man, that would be an AWESOME show! Bring it on - you can write the setlists anyday in my book...hehe.....but I have to say, and I know we already discussed it - but what's with not including Red Mosquito? I mean, I KNOW you have already seen it done, but it's the best song - I completely love it, for sure it's up there in my top 5 (depending on the day!), so if I could add anything to your almost completely awesome imaginary show - it would be Red Mosquito, as well as Oceans and Better Man - sorry - but that would make it perfect for me - not that what ever they sing isn't going to be perfect :D
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited October 2009
    Wow man, that would be an AWESOME show! Bring it on - you can write the setlists anyday in my book...hehe.....but I have to say, and I know we already discussed it - but what's with not including Red Mosquito? I mean, I KNOW you have already seen it done, but it's the best song - I completely love it, for sure it's up there in my top 5 (depending on the day!), so if I could add anything to your almost completely awesome imaginary show - it would be Red Mosquito, as well as Oceans and Better Man - sorry - but that would make it perfect for me - not that what ever they sing isn't going to be perfect :D

Red Mosquito - I'm just being a smart arse :) I'd lvoe to see it again
    Oceans - That would be in My Night two set list for sure along with Black, Porch, Leash, etc etc etc, etc etc
    Betterman - sorry FM radio killed this song for me - esp all the misinterpretations when they used it for guy who were actually good. But each time I've seen it, it has been magic and I remember Mike goign sick on a wild chord driven solo once.
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
    Yep - figured you were just being a smart arse! And I can't believe I missed that you didn't put Black in - you know if Ed actually sings it on the 14th - someone may have to pick me up off the floor to avoid me be trampled on - because I will have actually passed out with happiness!!!!!
  • Nice work dude! But am i correct in noting no love for Unthought Known, having heard it a couple of times live already?
    Sydney 3 1998; Brisbane 1 2003; Sydney 1/2/3 2003; Brisbane 1/2 2006; Sydney 1/2/3 2006; Melbourne 1/2 2006; Adelaide 2009; EV Solo Sydney 1 2011.
    Nice work dude! But am i correct in noting no love for Unthought Known, having heard it a couple of times live already?

I just ran out of space and left it for night two - which means, I probably forgot it (d'oh). It is really good live - all the new songs I heard were great. I'd love to see them play the entire album in order. (hint hint)

I was just trying to write a set that was a mixture of new/old hits/album and the odd rarity - this seems to be how they structure their aussie set lists. I really think Pearl Jam needs to do two shows per city to fit in all the songs you really want to hear. I came to this conclusion after the two LA shows where only a handful were repeated and I still walked out not hearing every song I'd have liked to have heard but was in no way disappointed at what I did hear - in fact I was extatic. A 50-60 song set was unrealistic, maybe I should have written two sets and named them night one and night two.
    Ok due to popular demand, they play a second show. No covers, only new songs and Alive repeated. The also play backspacer cover to cover in the secoind set and once again, get busted for breaking curfew. Fans that attend both nights get on the board and complain they still didn't play all the songs they wanted and decide to fly to the next aussie gig in hopes of seeing them - anyone wanna take over ? ;)

Wasted Repriese
    Life Wasted
    Animal
    Last Exit
    Whipping
    God's Dice
    WWS
    Thin Air
    Not For You
    In My Tree
    Severed Hand
    Brain Of J
    Daughter
    Love Boat Captain
    Unemployable
    Rats
    No Way
    In Hiding
    Marker In The Sand
    Do The Evolution

Got Some
    The Fixer
    Johnny Guitar
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Waves
    Unthought Known
    Supersonic
    Speed of Sound
    Force of Nature
    The End

Release
    Betterman
    Lukin/Habit
    Red Mosquito
    Black
    Alive
    Oceans

PS. I should be working (and my boss is a real prick) - I've put less thought into the sequencing of this one than I probably should have.

PPS. I'm self employed hahaha
    And maybe for Sydeny they'll going to do Lost Dogs - both cds cover to cover and in NZ they could cover the entire comp 'Enz Of An Era' plus Stuff & Nonsense (surprisingly, what I'm now typing).
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    Thats such a realistic setlist.. If i had the powers then i would be a little more daring...
    Brisk. wrote:
    Thats such a realistic setlist.. If i had the powers then i would be a little more daring...

I was trying to be realistic. I used to write the set lists for my first band and then occasionally the good band I ended up in. Trying to keep everyone happy is pretty hard, ya just gotta be realistic ;)

Actually Stuff and Nonsense would be a sensational song to play in NZ, what do ya thnk Kiwi bros
  • It Under Pressure (With Ben Harper) - sorry I've seen Redmosquito twice in LA ;)
    Amongst The Waves
    Go
    Blood
    Once
    Alive
    :)
    u just want the crowd to destroy the place in the end.. :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Actually, I'm going to change night 1: Under Pressure - Ed with R7 pre show and then Ben with PJ on Red Mosquito in the PJ set.

Talk about a spoilt brat hey :)
    And maybe for Sydeny they'll going to do Lost Dogs - both cds cover to cover and in NZ they could cover the entire comp 'Enz Of An Era' plus Stuff & Nonsense (surprisingly, what I'm now typing).

Nope - I reckon they do a THIRD show for Perth (!), and do Lost Dogs cover to cover, both cds - with that thought, they could just keep extending shows - only for Perth of course and do each album top to bottom, not necessarily in album order - for however many nights that would take.....hehe..

*I'd be more than happy to offer my house as an alternate venue should the costs prove prohibitve for the band - makes them nice and intimate shows.....I could offer them corona, wine and surfing!!! :D

Nope - I reckon they do a THIRD show for Perth (!), and do Lost Dogs cover to cover, both cds - with that thought, they could just keep extending shows - only for Perth of course and do each album top to bottom, not necessarily in album order - for however many nights that would take.....hehe..

*I'd be more than happy to offer my house as an alternate venue should the costs prove prohibitve for the band - makes them nice and intimate shows.....I could offer them corona, wine and surfing!!! :D

NO, actually Perth only get's the one show - the rest will be held either at 'The Dunsborough' (small local pub) - following on from Mudhoney's awesome show there a few years back and then any subsequent gigs will be held on the sand at Yallingup or Smiths Beach or Bootleg Brewery.
    NO, actually Perth only get's the one show - the rest will be held either at 'The Dunsborough' (small local pub) - following on from Mudhoney's awesome show there a few years back and then any subsequent gigs will be held on the sand at Yallingup or Smiths Beach or Bootleg Brewery.[/quote]

Well.....I quite like Yallingup, so I could find that do-able - but I still like the idea of having the boys in my house...... ;);) so maybe one show for Perth - then a little quiet one at my place (you can come too if you like..... :) ), then off to The Dunsborough, then maybe 2 more shows on the sand! They could be campfire beach ones....ooohhh I really like that idea....Ed singing, Mike playing guitar sitting around the fire on a beautiful beach.......yeah....that sounds good,..... ;)
    NO, actually Perth only get's the one show - the rest will be held either at 'The Dunsborough' (small local pub) - following on from Mudhoney's awesome show there a few years back and then any subsequent gigs will be held on the sand at Yallingup or Smiths Beach or Bootleg Brewery.

Well.....I quite like Yallingup, so I could find that do-able - but I still like the idea of having the boys in my house...... ;);) so maybe one show for Perth - then a little quiet one at my place (you can come too if you like..... :) ), then off to The Dunsborough, then maybe 2 more shows on the sand! They could be campfire beach ones....ooohhh I really like that idea....Ed singing, Mike playing guitar sitting around the fire on a beautiful beach.......yeah....that sounds good,..... ;)

Shhh, don't tell anyone but they're all stopping off at my place for a bbq and a small accoustic set after surfing at Three Bears with the locals they've surfed with previously. Jeff will have spent the day at Dunsborough Skate Park where none of the ten year olds down there would have recognised him as anything more than an awesome skater..

Shhh, don't tell anyone but they're all stopping off at my place for a bbq and a small accoustic set after surfing at Three Bears with the locals they've surfed with previously. Jeff will have spent the day at Dunsborough Skate Park where none of the ten year olds down there would have recognised him as anything more than an awesome skater..

Only if you let me come!!! I can keep a secret - I promise...hehehe...
  • i wouldn't mind seeing you are or dissident
    edited October 2009
    Ok, so after much deliberation, I have come up with 2 setlists - 1 for the awesome Perth show that will be, and the next one is for the imaginary beach show I have playing in my head now (visualizing Yallingup beach, camp fire, corona, and a couple of guitars!!!! hhhhmmmmmm)...

first show:

Do the Evolution
    Of the Girl
    Gonna See My Friend
    Animal
    Dirty Frank
    Drifting
    The Fixer
    Red Mosquito
    Crazy Mary
    Johnny Guitar
    Hail, Hail
    Leash
    Got Some
    Why Go
    Daughter
    Go
    Black

Encore 1:

Alive
    Unthought Known
    Off He Goes
    Just Breath
    The End
    Wishlist

Encore 2:

Amongst The Waves
    Even Flow
    Wash
    Yellow Ledbetter

Beach set:

Society
    Love Boat Captain
    Soon Forget
    Last Kiss
    Masters Of War
    Oceans
    Black (just cause it's my favourite...)
    Tremor Christ
    Guaranteed
    No Ceiling
    Gremmie Out of Control (after all we are on the beach!!)

:D:D
    Post edited by stardust1976 on
  • Nice work dude! But am i correct in noting no love for Unthought Known, having heard it a couple of times live already?

I just ran out of space and left it for night two - which means, I probably forgot it (d'oh). It is really good live - all the new songs I heard were great. I'd love to see them play the entire album in order. (hint hint)

I was just trying to write a set that was a mixture of new/old hits/album and the odd rarity - this seems to be how they structure their aussie set lists. I really think Pearl Jam needs to do two shows per city to fit in all the songs you really want to hear. I came to this conclusion after the two LA shows where only a handful were repeated and I still walked out not hearing every song I'd have liked to have heard but was in no way disappointed at what I did hear - in fact I was extatic. A 50-60 song set was unrealistic, maybe I should have written two sets and named them night one and night two.
    yeah it's gonna be interesting this time round to have only one per city - for those in sydney and melbourne being used to going to 3 shows each tour. i'm not going to go in expecting to hear every single song i want to hear - i may have to settle with never hearing some of my faves; hopefully have a couple more tours yet to give it a shot. would love to hear breath, crown of thorns and/or in hiding - any of those would make my day. again, top stuff dude, you should get in touch with the band!
    Sydney 3 1998; Brisbane 1 2003; Sydney 1/2/3 2003; Brisbane 1/2 2006; Sydney 1/2/3 2006; Melbourne 1/2 2006; Adelaide 2009; EV Solo Sydney 1 2011.
    yeah it's gonna be interesting this time round to have only one per city - for those in sydney and melbourne being used to going to 3 shows each tour. i'm not going to go in expecting to hear every single song i want to hear - i may have to settle with never hearing some of my faves; hopefully have a couple more tours yet to give it a shot. would love to hear breath, crown of thorns and/or in hiding - any of those would make my day.

Yeah I firmly feel you cannot experience PJ in just one show and living on the West Coast, it is just too difficult/expensive after my USA trip to follow themn around Australia. Unless there is some philanthropist who would like to sponsor me and provide me with a 10c ticket each night :)

Crown of thorns was awesome in LA (sorry to gloat again). 8-)
    again, top stuff dude, you should get in touch with the band!

Thanks, I'm sure if they wanted to find me - they could, but I'm not holding my breath, I'm just another fan big on ideas who'd probably just take up their valuable time that they should be dedicating to having a great and relaxing holiday after Philly.
  • yeah it's gonna be interesting this time round to have only one per city - for those in sydney and melbourne being used to going to 3 shows each tour. i'm not going to go in expecting to hear every single song i want to hear - i may have to settle with never hearing some of my faves; hopefully have a couple more tours yet to give it a shot. would love to hear breath, crown of thorns and/or in hiding - any of those would make my day.

Yeah I firmly feel you cannot experience PJ in just one show and living on the West Coast, it is just too difficult/expensive after my USA trip to follow themn around Australia. Unless there is some philanthropist who would like to sponsor me and provide me with a 10c ticket each night :)

Crown of thorns was awesome in LA (sorry to gloat again). 8-)
    again, top stuff dude, you should get in touch with the band!

Thanks, I'm sure if they wanted to find me - they could, but I'm not holding my breath, I'm just another fan big on ideas who'd probably just take up their valuable time that they should be dedicating to having a great and relaxing holiday after Philly.
    dude - have you seen the philly 3 setlist?! wow - that's my kinda show! just add i got id, crown of thorns and amongst the waves, and i'll be happy with a repeat of this show in adelaide in november! rock on champ.
    Great set stardust - you can be road manager anytime :)
    dude - have you seen the philly 3 setlist?! wow - that's my kinda show! just add i got id, crown of thorns and amongst the waves, and i'll be happy with a repeat of this show in adelaide in november! rock on champ.

This is exactly the reason why i wish they were doing two or even three nights at a smaller venue. You really need to see them over multiple nights to get the true Pearl Jam experience and the amazing diversity of their rep. Trying to write a set list for a one night stand - esp in a place like perth was really difficult - and must be even harder for Ed. Trying to keep all the radio fans happy and at the same time hardcore fans is harder than trying to pick a broken nose with a broken finger.

Enjoy the great nights in Philly people.
    Great set stardust - you can be road manager anytime :)

Thanks - I think we'd make an awesome team!

really it would be so cool to see them play Dirty Frank and Gremmie Out Of Control on the beach.....just awesome :D
  • Great set stardust - you can be road manager anytime :)

Thanks - I think we'd make an awesome team!

really it would be so cool to see them play Dirty Frank and Gremmie Out Of Control on the beach.....just awesome :D
    i'd be there for that show stardust - well done!
  • i'd be there for that show stardust - well done!

You, me, the beach and the boys - lets go! :)
    sweet - it's on!
    ...and then after that we'll get them to do the concert ;):lol:

sweet - it's on!

Haha! see, lucky I have an awesome sense of humour!!! If the boys WERE involved though....hhmmm...better not continue THAT thought for fear of this turning into gutter material... ;)

sweet - it's on!

dirty bugger.....
  • You, me, the beach and the boys - lets go! :)
    sweet - it's on!

Haha! see, lucky I have an awesome sense of humour!!! If the boys WERE involved though....hhmmm...better not continue THAT thought for fear of this turning into gutter material... ;)
    oops, i think i just did that already!
    sorry paul :lol: