Vents on Unofficial Ticket Pricing

csm1024csm1024 Posts: 2
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Hello all,

I was able to score tickets for last night's, tonight's, and Saturday's shows at the Spectrum, and was blown away by the first of the four Philly nights (I'm jumping out of my skin for the next!). However, in the initial July frenzy to pick up tickets for the Wednesday or Friday shows, I ended up shelling out an exorbitant amount of cash for a somewhat decent seat for tonight's show, and couldn't find anything affordable for Friday. PJ subsequently announced yesterday's and Saturday's shows, and that initial demand disappeared. Now, as I sit here in suspense of Spectrum night 2, I watch significantly-better seats on my ticket vendor's site plummet to ridiculously-low prices, and imagine the satisfied grin on my seller's face as he counts his hundreds and calls me a sucker.

I know the band has policies against fans' payments of ticket prices in excess of face value, and I understand that it's almost impossible for them to regulate what goes down on independent vendor ticket sites. However, it's obvious that the belated announcement of two additional shows played a significant role in causing others and myself who may be approaching the "strapped for cash" status to lose enormous amounts of investments in these tix. I'm sorry, but I see nothing but demonstrations of absolute loyalty when a fan is willing to pay whatever they can to make it inside a venue, and it's a damn shame when Eddie and the boys ignore those demonstrations and control demand by doubling up on their shows. I'd love to see them at every opportunity I could, but would it be that difficult to issue a single announcement of a concert series, instead of ripping those fans who might jump the gun out of hundreds of thousands of dollars?

If they didn't rip up the stage last night, I'd be a lot more pissed.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    csm1024 wrote:
    Hello all,

I was able to score tickets for last night's, tonight's, and Saturday's shows at the Spectrum, and was blown away by the first of the four Philly nights (I'm jumping out of my skin for the next!). However, in the initial July frenzy to pick up tickets for the Wednesday or Friday shows, I ended up shelling out an exorbitant amount of cash for a somewhat decent seat for tonight's show, and couldn't find anything affordable for Friday. PJ subsequently announced yesterday's and Saturday's shows, and that initial demand disappeared. Now, as I sit here in suspense of Spectrum night 2, I watch significantly-better seats on my ticket vendor's site plummet to ridiculously-low prices, and imagine the satisfied grin on my seller's face as he counts his hundreds and calls me a sucker.

I know the band has policies against fans' payments of ticket prices in excess of face value, and I understand that it's almost impossible for them to regulate what goes down on independent vendor ticket sites. However, it's obvious that the belated announcement of two additional shows played a significant role in causing others and myself who may be approaching the "strapped for cash" status to lose enormous amounts of investments in these tix. I'm sorry, but I see nothing but demonstrations of absolute loyalty when a fan is willing to pay whatever they can to make it inside a venue, and it's a damn shame when Eddie and the boys ignore those demonstrations and control demand by doubling up on their shows. I'd love to see them at every opportunity I could, but would it be that difficult to issue a single announcement of a concert series, instead of ripping those fans who might jump the gun out of hundreds of thousands of dollars?

going through a broker, for any event, should be a last ditch effort. tickets can be had for face value in almost any situation if you work at it. this board, for instance, has had plenty of people with extras for every show this tour.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Mistake #1: buying tickets from a broker
    Mistake #2: buying tickets soon after they originally went on sale
    Mistake #3: paying way above face value for said tickets

You have no one to blame except yourself for this situation. There are plenty of other option to buying from brokers, one of the easiest of which is using this board which has had a number of tickets for sale for most of the shows. You could have also waited for the venue to drop tickets, which they have done.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • chromiam wrote:
    Mistake #1: buying tickets from a broker
    Mistake #2: buying tickets soon after they originally went on sale
    Mistake #3: paying way above face value for said tickets

You have no one to blame except yourself for this situation. There are plenty of other option to buying from brokers, one of the easiest of which is using this board which has had a number of tickets for sale for most of the shows. You could have also waited for the venue to drop tickets, which they have done.

All these statements are true and I've had to go the "way of the broker" at times too! Sometimes i dont have the immediate cash available on my cards to pony up for the 10 club sales, then when the public onsale rolls around and im starting to get on my feet moneywise... said show sellsout. Then I use third parties etc... it sucks and I hate doing it but I hate not being able to go to a show when its in my neck of the woods! Pearl Jam is my drug and if shows are near me and work permitting I'll do my best to make it to the show by any means neccessary! Sometimes there are voids a boot can't fill! There's nothing like being there!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    friends of mine just picked up sect 225 row 3 comcastix
  • The OP is part of the problem. If you wouldn't be willing to shell out a ridiculous amount of cash, brokers wouldn't be in business. As for announcing 4 shows at once, its very common for a show or two to be added after the original shows go on sale. Its how they judge demand. No band wants to anounce 4 shows and have them all half empty. In general, ticket prices go down as the event draws near. If tickets go on sale way before the actual event, you can count on a percentage of people who will have a change of plans, or unforseen circumstances come up and force them to sell their tickets. Even brokers holding onto tickets will sell for cheap as the event draws near as to avoid having them go unsold. I got front row tickets to the Monsters of Folk here in Portland from a broker on the day of the show for $30.00 each. He/she was willing to sell for $30.00 rather than eat them. Brokers can be taken advantage of if you wait until the last minute to buy your tickets.
    Gorge
  • I just looked around. I see tickets for tonight for $50.00. Below face value. Friday tickets for $115.00. I bet by Friday, those same tickets will be back down around $50.00.
    Gorge
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    csm1024 wrote:
    Hello all,

if you couldn't afford the ticket, you shouldn't have bought it. don't blame PJ for you being an obsessed fan.
  • csm1024 wrote:
    Hello all,

since it's obvious you just joined the board to post that complaint, maybe you should spend some more time on the board and you will see that there are ALWAYS tickets available for face value. There was no reason to pay such high prices months ahead of time. You have no one to blame but yourself
    "Delight in your youth"

GO PITT
  • If you wouldn't be willing to shell out a ridiculous amount of cash, brokers wouldn't be in business.

agree.
    stop shoveling it out people!

read this:
    http://ivys2cents.blogspot.com/2009/08/ ... ckets.html
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• yowch. Points well made, and thank you to those who mean to help / straighten me out. To those with offensive intentions, there's a life outside of message boards.
  • N_Jay_HN_Jay_H Posts: 171
    csm1024 wrote:
    yowch. Points well made, and thank you to those who mean to help / straighten me out. To those with offensive intentions, there's a life outside of message boards.
    I don't believe that their intentions have anything to do with a "life outside of a message board".
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    rule number 1: There are ALWAYS tickets 8-)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • I see nothing wrong with purchasing/selling tickets for whatever price. Supply & demand.

I do however see something wrong with selling 10C Tickets for over Face Value.
    That's something you agreed on when you joined the fan club. Honor that agreement.
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    csm1024 wrote:
    yowch. Points well made, and thank you to those who mean to help / straighten me out. To those with offensive intentions, there's a life outside of message boards.

I know.. these people are harsh... good points, but harsh....

Keep posting....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    I bought tickets to Sprinsteen for his final show at Giants Stadium through a broker and paid about $50 over face value. Given that I was flying in from the other side of the world and wanted to be assured of GA tickets the extra was a price I was willing to pay. I have no doubt I could have got them cheaper had I waited unti that day, but the piece of mind was worth it. I'm not complaining, I feel I got a good deal.

For my Pearl Jam tickets in LA I just purchased fan club tickets for the night I was most likely able to go and then arranged a swap on this board with another member who wanted to attend two shows - sweet. The fact LA3&4 were such awesome shows was a stroke of luck and the great vibe of trading and then sitting next to another 10c member who I am sure will become a long term friend made it even better.

Pearl Jam are playing in Perth (300 km from me) in two weeks. I purchased 2 10c tickets but wanted an extra ticket so my partner and I could take her son. I asked on this board and was offered tickets by three different people - one a spare 10c ticket of someone in a similar situation to me in LA.

If you are ever looking for Pearl Jam tickets - this is the place to come. 10c members are a very special group of people.
  • stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    csm1024 wrote:

Just curious as to why everyone is saying this. Or if they don't play until 3 am then there no good.

What the f@#k is up with this. :evil:

Then don't go!
  • another option...in the future, don't buy what you can't afford. And, just because Pearl Jam is playing four nights in one venue doesn't automatically mean that you have to attend ALL four nights. If you can't afford the exorbitant prices charged by those who wish to take advantage of people in such a situation, don't go ;)
    "I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."
    KC, MO 7.3.98
    OKC 4.3.03
    KC, MO 5/2010
    EV- Memphis 6.20.09
    EV- Tulsa 11.18.12
  • 10c members are a very special group of people.

yes, we are. :)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*