following U2 (pj related)

breath123breath123 Posts: 397
edited October 2009 in The Porch
I recently saw U2 in Phoenix and on the You tube broadcast...

after the first show I said "amazing" after YT, I said "Amazingly similar".

they were almost identical set lists, obviously there's a massive amount of tech involved, so it's kind of rigid. I get that. It was Bono's performance that while passionate also seems rigidly rehearsed down to the little manurisms. kind of a let down.

Anyway, I was talking to a bunch of people and I found it interesting how many people had traveled to see the band, the way we do Pearl Jam.

Is there anyone like me who feels that however amazing Pearl Jam is, we wouldn't see them every night if they played the same set every night?

U2 might be the biggest band in the world, but Pearl Jam is the best band in the world.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    breath123 wrote:

they were almost identical set lists, obviously there's a massive amount of tech involved, so it's kind of rigid. I get that. It was Bono's performance that while passionate also seems rigidly rehearsed down to the little manurisms. kind of a let down.

Anyway, I was talking to a bunch of people and I found it interesting how many people had traveled to see the band, the way we do Pearl Jam.

Is there anyone like me who feels that however amazing Pearl Jam is, we wouldn't see them every night if they played the same set every night?

Its a nice question, i probably wouldn't travel round to seee them if they had the same setlists. In fact thats one of the main reasons why i keep coming back for more, every show is just different.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I wouldn't see PJ as much as I have if they played the same set every show.

I love U2's music and have seen them twice. They are an amazing band live, but yes, everything is incredibly rehearsed right down to Bono's poses during certain stages of the show. This was really apparent when I saw the Chicago DVD and saw how similar everything was (yes even the same poses at the same times) to the shows I went to.

I probably won't see U2 again and I plan to see PJ as much as I can!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • I went to the U2 gig at Wembley this year and the stage set was amazing but i found the sound quite lost in the big venue and a couple of songs even stunk. I saw PJ at Manchester a few days later was much more impressed. Smaller venue, no frills but much more intimate and personable. I still like U2 a lot though and will see 'em in Frankfurt next year, hoping that they ditch a couple of the filler songs from the latest LP.
  • I've seen U2 15 times...and I've seen Pearl Jam 49 times. U2 is my other favourite band.
    The fact that U2 shows are so similar is exactly why I haven't seen them nearly as much as pearl Jam.
    I agree with you that everything, right down to what Bono says between songs (for the most part) is the same.
    He changes up the tags slightly in some cities. for example Bono did a verse of Viva Las Vegas on Friday night at the Vegas show...he also tagged a few lines of In Gods Country at the end of Beautiful Day that night too.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • its really an apples vs oranges thing imo

pj cant do what u2 do(it would just be too silly to see pj with a 40' lemon)
    u2 cant do what pj do(cause u2 just aren't that loose/groovy)

no real winner...but i gotta say broadcasting that u2 show on youtube so the world could see. was fucking BRILLIANT. it was an incredible showx10
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    I've seen U2 15 times...and I've seen Pearl Jam 49 times. U2 is my other favourite band.
    The fact that U2 shows are so similar is exactly why I haven't seen them nearly as much as pearl Jam.
    I agree with you that everything, right down to what Bono says between songs (for the most part) is the same.
    He changes up the tags slightly in some cities. for example Bono did a verse of Viva Las Vegas on Friday night at the Vegas show...he also tagged a few lines of In Gods Country at the end of Beautiful Day that night too.

I decided to actually listen to U2 to try and understand them so i heard Joshua Tree and i just dont get it.. okay they wern't disastrous but 140 million records worldwide!?
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I am a long-time fan of U2, I saw them at Giants stadium, both shows and enjoyed them immensly. I plan on seeing them next summer when they return too.

PJ and U2 are among my favorites and I like them both about equally for different reasons. They are complete opposites musically and from a performance standpoint.
  • breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    emptyglass wrote:
    pj cant do what u2 do(it would just be too silly to see pj with a 40' lemon)
    u2 cant do what pj do(cause u2 just aren't that loose/groovy)

agreed. what U2 did with Achtung Baby was similar to what PJ did with no code.

only in reverse.

after the Joshua Tree tour, U2 found themselves so over exposed and drowning in an arrogant sense of self importance. So they tore it down and rebuilt it as essentialy a big indulgent las vegas act, embracing the very thing the Joshua tree era U2 probably would have despised. It's amazing it worked.

Pearl Jam on the other hand went the other direction. By Vitology they were hanging on by a thread musically emotionally and otherwise. When they re-emerged, they pretty much dared the audience to follow.

Thank god there was no 40ft glittery Avocado.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I have a friend that follows them around a little. I think she does it more to see different areas while catching a good show. But I don't understand seeing the same setlist with maybe 2 or 4 varied songs more then once. I would eventually get bored if I saw them more then twice.

The huge stage also turns me off somewhat, pretty much like seeing a travelling Vegas show. Don't get me wrong, I like the music U2 releases, but just have no urge to see them live in the super-sized stadiums they play in.

I guess I am just a simple man that likes a simple, no frills, kick ass rock and roll show....
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    Brisk. wrote:
    breath123 wrote:

Its a nice question, i probably wouldn't travel round to seee them if they had the same setlists. In fact thats one of the main reasons why i keep coming back for more, every show is just different.

Totally agree. To see U2 more than once on a tour I couldn't justify...but PJ on the other hand, I could go to every show and remember something unique about it.
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    I have a friend that follows them around a little. I think she does it more to see different areas while catching a good show. But I don't understand seeing the same setlist with maybe 2 or 4 varied songs more then once. I would eventually get bored if I saw them more then twice.

The huge stage also turns me off somewhat, pretty much like seeing a travelling Vegas show. Don't get me wrong, I like the music U2 releases, but just have no urge to see them live in the super-sized stadiums they play in.

I guess I am just a simple man that likes a simple, no frills, kick ass rock and roll show....

Ton's a people have written about it, but I'll mention again and agree, the stage that takes 50 semi's to haul around the country is a complete waste and obviously not green at all. Its just an ego thing, which is so stupid.
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    I have heard that Bono uses a teleprompter >.<
    32 shows and counting...
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Zeppelin had the same basic setlist with a song here and there different. However, they morphed the songs so differently each night that it almost equated to be like variable setlists in a way. Like Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin was sparse on lighting and effects. So there they stood playing their hearts out letting the music stand on it's own. That's what I liked in Zeppelin, and what I like about Pearl Jam. And why I'd travel to see both if both were touring and my life allowed for the travel. If the band were handcuffed by lighting and effects, I would get disinterested pretty quickly.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • MR37543MR37543 Posts: 46
    Great question. Ü2 and PJ are my two favorite bands in the world and I follow both on tour.

I've seen Ü2 three times this leg - Phoenix, Vegas and L.A. And while the shows had overlapping songs on their setlist, each night was different. That said, it can get predictable but predictable is not boring. Half the fun is watching the chemistry between the guys and seeing how much they truly love each after 30 years. It's heartwarming.

I've seen PJ multiple times and the magic of PJ stems from their spontaneity. They have a setlist they sometimes follow, but mostly, the direction the band takes on a given night depends on the audience's energy as well as the band's come showtime. I suspect that even if PJ played the same setlist every night, the songs would not sound the same nor would one's experience of the show be the same because there's a close knit relationship between the band and fans.

Hail hail to the lucky ones! :)
    "I know that I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine. I am mine."
  • i was trying to explain this the other day and i couldn't. this hits the nail on the head.

that and i just don't 'get' bono.

i liked their 80's stuff and have their hits. .........and i'd probably like them more if bono wasn't so bono.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• I'm not sure if I would travel to see them if their set lists were the same every night. It would probably still be tempting though. I think that half of the reason why I love PJ shows so much is meeting all of the great people before/after and travelling to different spots to see them.
  • Kraven wrote:

Is there really a difference between Bono using a prompter and Eddie reading off of taped together pieces of cardboard "hidden" inside a suitcase?
  • I prefer the cardboard thank you. ;)

Bono has this ‘do right’ aura about him. He’s been given awards and such.
    But his band lugs around a teleprompter ….an elaborate stage etc.
    It’s confusing.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• I'm not into lights/theatrics and stuff like that.

I've never seen U2 live, but that IMAX 3D concert that I've seen last year disappointed me...
    Too much.... Bono around... too rehearsed...
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    dhutchis wrote:
    Kraven wrote:

Is there really a difference between Bono using a prompter and Eddie reading off of taped together pieces of cardboard "hidden" inside a suitcase?

Not much! But I would bet if PJ played the same set list night after night he would not have the cheat sheet.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,276
    I use to like U2 alot saw them at least 10 times traveled to see them California for the US FESTIVAL if anybody can remember that in 83 also saw them here 10mnts from my house in STONYBROOK COLLEGE the same yr ...but i would never travel to see them in another country like i have for PJ ....CHILE ,CANADA....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I've sat behind the stage at a U2 show and it's not like Bono uses it for every song. It's probably more of a confidence monitor than an actual teleprompter. It's there if he needs it.
  • LucanLucan Posts: 104
    I was shattered the last time the Foo Fighters came to Melbourne, near identical set-lists back to back nights.
    Serious déjà vu. Even the "impromptu" stuff was well rehearsed and well tired.

Shouldn't artists be embarassed by this? FF had 6 albums of material, but trotted out the same 17 songs night in-night out on the ESPG tour.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I saw Aerosmith a few years ago in at a small arena in a town they had never played in before. They said "Its good to be back playing in Hidalgo (town name) again" Obviously they say that everywhere they go, whether they've been there before or not. I thought that was sad.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • KatKat Posts: 4,845
    breath123 wrote:

40ft glittery Avocado.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :crazy:
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Kat wrote:
    breath123 wrote:

40ft glittery Avocado.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

that woulda been awesome, kinda like the inflatable space needle they had this tour
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    breath123 wrote:

U2 might be the biggest band in the world, but Pearl Jam is the best band in the world.

i wish people would realize that pearl jam is the exception, not the rule, when it comes to this. most bands play basically the same material nightly.

in any event, i dont see pj every night anyway, i only went to on chicago show even though i could easily have hit both (money aside). i've never seen u2, but i'd be willing to check them out more than once. it's a different show, but it's still a good one. like seeing a favorite movie multiple times... if you don't love the movie, you wouldn't do that. if you do love it, you don't mind seeing it again. do you stop listening to albums becos every time you play the cd it sounds the same as the last one?