Johnny Guitar

left the porchleft the porch Posts: 504
edited October 2009 in The Porch
When I first saw the track listing for the new album this song really stuck out. It's really unlike anything PJ have done, so I was intrigued and a little skeptical, until I heard the song and lyrics and found out the story behind it. BRILLIANT!!!! Great tune and the lyrics are Ed's cheekiest since Dirty Frank. As Ed said in LA "sometimes you get your inspiration off a bathroom wall." It's one of my favourites on the album, so it just goes to show, you can't judge a book by it's cover or a song by it's title.

Well done boys!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    I agree. One of the best songs on Backspacer
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Great fucken tune and what a riff!
  • Yep, in total agreeance there!

I love Johnny guitar! One of the best off backspacer!
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    The live version of the song is awesome too- at least from LA3. Ed sings it spot on!
  • I agree. I did not think this was going to be a strong track just by the title. What do I know. One of the best tracks on Backspacer. I love it!!!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,262
    Coincidentally, it reminded me of Dirty Frank, also. Probably because the story could stand on it's own, and has more dimension/depth. Grittier. More interesting.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    :o Wow, I'm really not feeling this song. I don't think it stands up lyrically with the rest of the album and isn't that great. Maybe that'll change though.
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    This song is constantly stuck in my head, I dont know if it is the guitar riff, or if its Ed's vocal melodies, or the lyrics, but it just keeps growing on me
    32 shows and counting...
  • the voice of Ed is amazing in this song!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • The live version of the song is awesome too- at least from LA3. Ed sings it spot on!

LA3 and San Diego are both spot-on performances. Some of the earlier ones are rickety.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    Probably my least favorite on Backspacer.