Don't forget! No booze at walmart, grocery store, gas stat.

DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
edited October 2009 in The Porch
For those traveling from out of state--beware that PA has a liquor control board, so that means you cannot purchase any alcohol from grocery stores, department stores, gas stations, etc etc.
(you can't buy it cuz they don't sell it) You have to find a special "beer distributor" or "liquor store"

By the way,
where CAN you buy wine in South Philly?
Especially that Oak Leaf brand that Walmart USUALLY sells?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• There's a liquor store called "Bell Beverage" on Front St. off I-95 east of the stadium complex. It's just south of Tony Luke's. If you are looking for another liquor store slightly closer to "civilization," there is one on South St. between 7th and 8th that has a pretty good selection. Not sure where you're staying or where you're coming from.
  • Actually, come to think of it, Bell Beverage may just be a beer distributor. The one on South is definitely a liquor store, and I know there is also one on Chestnut between 12th and 13th that is quite large, for anyone looking in Center City.
  • Yeah that's always a good reminder for out-of-towners. When my friend and I went to Camden II back in '06 it was on a Sunday. We drove up from DC and completely forgot that you couldn't buy on Sundays, so we were scrambling to grab a couple six packs from bars around the stadium... real pain. Worked out in the end though. Definitely good to keep that in mind when traveling to PA though.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • leenecleenec Posts: 46
    There is a liquor store next to Bell Beverage which is on the way to the Spectrum

State Liquor Store‎ - 2807 S Front St, Philadelphia, PA‎ - (215) 952-1000‎
    Bell Beverage 2809 S Front St, Philadelphia, PA 19148-4837
  • EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 492
    Man...I hate this. This just happened to me in NC. I am out west and we can get it 24/7 just about anywhere.

I am staying at Hotel Palomar...its like at 17th and Sansom, I think near Rittenhouse whatever. Any chance to get wine in that area? Are there wine shops, or do I have to find a state store on my way to the hotel?

Anyone know?
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Evergreen wrote:
    Man...I hate this. This just happened to me in NC. I am out west and we can get it 24/7 just about anywhere.

I am staying at Hotel Palomar...its like at 17th and Sansom, I think near Rittenhouse whatever. Any chance to get wine in that area? Are there wine shops, or do I have to find a state store on my way to the hotel?

Anyone know?

Check here
    http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/app/Retail/s ... av=|32369|
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Your alcohol laws are even weirder than ours.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    chromiam wrote:
    Evergreen wrote:

Anyone know?

Check here
    http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/app/Retail/s ... av=|32369|

Thanks!!!
    :)
    Cool! There is a Wine and Spirits store .3 miles from my hotel...it's listed as having a "premium" collection, whatever that means. Yay! Walkable!
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Evergreen wrote:
    Cool! There is a Wine and Spirits store .3 miles from my hotel...it's listed as having a "premium" collection, whatever that means. Yay! Walkable!
    yep, there is one at 17th and jfk. i've made many a stops there on the way to the train after work. lol
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Flagg wrote:

Yes they are, damn Quakers :lol:
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Flagg wrote:
    you have no idea, they just allowed beer distributors to open on sundays from 12-5 about 1.5 years ago. I guess thats what you get when your state is founded by Quakers!
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Evergreen wrote:
    I am out west and we can get it 24/7 just about anywhere.

i am always amazed when in states such as cali, and seeing liquor lined up on shelves in the supermarket. :P here in NY you can buy beer/wine coolers in grocery/convenience stores and gas stations, but no wine or liquor. i don't quite understand that. eh well.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Evergreen wrote:

i am always amazed when in states such as cali, and seeing liquor lined up on shelves in the supermarket. :P here in NY you can buy beer/wine coolers in grocery/convenience stores and gas stations, but no wine or liquor. i don't quite understand that. eh well.

Yeah, it's the same in VA. I was in San Diego this summer on business and couldn't help laughing when I went to buy toothpaste at CVS at 8 am and saw bottles of vodka on the shelves.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
    Evergreen wrote:

Yeah, it's the same in VA. I was in San Diego this summer on business and couldn't help laughing when I went to buy toothpaste at CVS at 8 am and saw bottles of vodka on the shelves.

What???

I love it...the grocery store that I go to has a locked cabinet too...with all sorts of fine brandies and tequilas, etc. It's is kinda funny. Our Walgreens actually has a great selection. :D

Then there is a place called BevMo! Don't even get me started. It is like liquor Wally World. Probably 40 isles of liquor.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    leenec wrote:
    There is a liquor store next to Bell Beverage which is on the way to the Spectrum

State Liquor Store‎ - 2807 S Front St, Philadelphia, PA‎ - (215) 952-1000‎
    Bell Beverage 2809 S Front St, Philadelphia, PA 19148-4837

Would you say this is the closest one to the Spectrum? Thanks, because you know I'm not capable of looking this up myself, and I must rely on Pearl Jam posts for all the information I receive. Thanks for understanding.
  • InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    looks like i wont be using my fake! to risky at liquor stores...easy at gas stations! :D
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • phinally a filly thread that actually matters
  • leenecleenec Posts: 46
    Would you say this is the closest one to the Spectrum? Thanks, because you know I'm not capable of looking this up myself, and I must rely on Pearl Jam posts for all the information I receive. Thanks for understanding

Yeah- Depending where you are coming from, I believe this is the closest-

If you are taking I 95, it's right off the exit

If you are coming from the Spectrum you just take Pattison ave ( he street the Spectrum is on) east and make a left on Front street-

Beer and Liquor stores are next to each other at the light about a 5 minute drive away (maybe almost 2 miles)
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Ha, come to CT and then you can complain about liquor.

No alcohol sold on Sundays.

Can't buy any past 9 PM

Can't buy any on holidays.
    32 shows and counting...
  • EvolverEvolver Posts: 525
    Flagg wrote:

Tell me about it, I frickin live here (from Connecticut, and I'd GLADLY take the CT liquor laws over this bizarre situation). The biggest bitch of it is, god forbid you need to get both liquor/wine AND beer for a given night, because for some friggin reason, you can NEVER find both a wine & spirits and beer store in the same plaza - in fact they're usually nowhere near each other in completely different parts of town. I HATE that :evil:
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    I hope that the liquor aka "state store" sells corkscrews.

I am assuming that "corkskrews" are not allowed on airline flights these days. Anyone know? Again, I am incapable of looking this up myself and must rely on Pearl Jam posts for all my information so your understanding is appreciated.

Also hope that liquor store sells lighters & ice, also forbidden on planes, I GUESS, also, info for sure would be appreciated.

Also hope that machettis (where's the spell check here people?) are sold at said "state store"s. Again, anyone know for sure if machettis are allowed as carry-on during flight?

Thank you for your help.